2007-2008 Football

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i respect all sports and attend double digit games around rusk county each fall and was just wanting to see if everyone thought tatum would be back in the playoffs again...

as for district 12-4a, i think whitehouse will be down just a bit after losing kennedy and shivers, hallsville should be down a bit, too, as will nac after losing rhoades and mcanich....marshall should be coming back to prominence soon after not making the playoffs last season....kilgore could be strong in a year or two and pine tree will probably be bringing up the backside again.

Originally posted by rcshombre

i respect all sports and attend double digit games around rusk county each fall and was just wanting to see if everyone thought tatum would be back in the playoffs again...

as for district 12-4a, i think whitehouse will be down just a bit after losing kennedy and shivers, hallsville should be down a bit, too, as will nac after losing rhoades and mcanich....marshall should be coming back to prominence soon after not making the playoffs last season....kilgore could be strong in a year or two and pine tree will probably be bringing up the backside again.

I really don't think Whouse will be that bad.. Yes they lost shivers but he didnt hardly run the ball.. They still have their main offensive attackers for a couple of more years.. If anything it will be some of the line that is new but im sure they will have people to do the job.. Kilgore will be fine imo, dunno bout Hallsville.

Also about marshal, did they lose their QB after football season? I thought i remember reading he was no longer at marshal or something. Was a long time ago, is he still there or no?

so the loss of teeter, betts, hightower, the other o-lineman that was really good? i dont remember his name. and the other seniors wont hurt PP? HS returns a good but of players. dfield will always have athletes, same for NB. from what you say QC should be good if their JV was the only team to beat PP. idk maybe i'm biased since i've never been a pp fan. they could be good but it would suprise me if they were.

either way it goes...losing betts to another team is a big blow

Sneed is a Senior this year. His football days are done. For good. Elysian Fields and Marshall both did all they could to keep him on the right track, but it wasn't meant to be.

Now....about the team:

Marshall will be returning most of their team from last season on both sides of the ball.

The defense was made up of something like 6 sophomores and a couple of Juniors. It was basically a JV defense last season......and it showed. In spite of the youth and inexperence, we never lost a game by more than 7 points.

Longview by 3

Jacksonville by 7

Whitehouse by 1

Nac by 7

The offense was young in a lot of positions too. Leading Rusher Andrew Clough (over 1,000 yards) is a Junior. K.D. Johson was the #3 rusher and still managed over 500 yards with little playing time, he is only a sophomore. Darius Jones had over 400 yards and only played in 3-4 games. He too is a Sophomore. There were 3 more sophomores on the starting O line. That's 5 sophomores on offense last season.

Darius Jones is the Heir Apparent for the QB spot. But that could change this spring should the JV QB step it up. Jones played in several games last season, but was used more in the WR and RB postion than he was QB..... but he did get some QB snaps in some of the blowouts. He can RUN..... and had more accuracy than Sneed.... just not the strength. But again... he is a sophomore. I speculate it will come down to him and the JV QB for the spot.

Overall..... with 6 sophomores on defense and 5 on offense in 2006, the Mavericks were still competitive in spite of their youth. Their youth and inexperience betrayed them in the close games. They were 6-4 last season and all 4 losses were down to the wire.

If the experience of last season adds up like it should for those young guys, then they should be locked and loaded this season.

Some people think this matters, some don't. But the Maverick Powerlifting team finished 3rd in the 4A region. The Maverick track and field team has had a spectacular spring. If those things add up to more success on the field, then chalk that up too.

Normally I think coaching changes are very difficult on the kids and a program. But with MISD hiring from withing.... it sounds like things are going to be pretty seamless. Harris will continue what has already been started without wholesale changes like you see when entire new staffs are brought in. Everything I've heard is that the continuity from Southern to Harris has been smooth. I would compare it more to the transition from Parker to Harper....... unlike the "getting run over like a desiel" transition we saw from Harper to Southern.

I can't predict a district title for the Mavs in 2007. I've always said the team that is the district champion will be the champion until they aren't the champion anymore. But I think 2006 was more of a hiccup to the Mav program than a trend.

It should be a fun race.

Originally posted by rcshombre

mcaninch is just a junior, he'll be back at nac next year along with three all district linebackers(one honorable mention all state) and some more good supporting players, dont know much bout other teams tho

Originally posted by stevosev7

MP got a little second semester gift from paul pewitt...B.A. Betts transfered from omaha paul pewitt to mt. pleasant. betts is figured to play full back and linebacker. the rest of the tiger football team could be pretty solid. alot of speed and toughness on offense...and the defense should be good also...

mp did lose a lot of Seniors, mostly at the skill pos. but they have the talent to make up for the losses. i suspect another playoff run for the tigers next year.

11-4A 1. paris (its march and im going mad)

2. Texas High

3. MP

4.NL

5.Lindale

6.SS

as for sulphur springs...i think this will be an interesting season for them....this season will show weather or not Coach Owens is making any progress there....we know he is returning a good chunk of his team, but lets hope he can find a decent center this year...the center situation this past season was ridiculous...i think they will do a little bit better this season given the fact they are a heck of alot more experienced, but if they dont find a decent center i think they will do about the same as this past season....i STILL think SS made a huge mistake lettin Coach Turner go...but oh well...

So Pewitt's looking to totally ruin a young man's future because of a stupid mistake alot of teenagers make... Everyone deserves a 2nd chance even if its at another school....Besides MP and PP don't play each other so why would it effect Pewitt at all....

all I know is that there was some altercation with a coach during basketball season... I don't know what exactly happened so I'll leave it at that.... I've only heard hearsay so I don't wanna put him out there

Originally posted by Slikk1803

all I know is that there was some altercation with a coach during basketball season... I don't know what exactly happened so I'll leave it at that.... I've only heard hearsay so I don't wanna put him out there

My wife works at Pewitt High. She said he got caught doing something he was not suppose to be doing(something illegal) and he was very disrespectful to teachers.:thumbdown: