We have a new Texas track phenom

davidm

Originally posted by DanielLions23

Why does it have to be a 5a school? Running is running.

The simple fact that the 5a schools have 3000 kids to pick from...compared to the 700 or 800 a 3a and under have = a big difference...some of the best runners in the world might not ever run track just because they are in a huge school. and vise versa

What I am trying to say is that a 17 year old kid is the same no matter what size school he attends. In track and cross country I am amazed at kids from smaller schools that get excited beating a kid from a larger school. Running is running and kids are kids. This kid could have easily gone to school at a 1a or 2a school. I can understand relays and having more kids to choose from, but if you label yourself as a 3a runner you will only be a 3a runner. It's a good thing David Overstreet who went to school at class B, Big Sandy didn't think he was just a class B running back, he might have never made it to the NFL where a lot of 4a running backs didn't make it.

Originally posted by NBQB3

It has to be a 5A school. That kid can fly if he's running that fast and his only a sophmore.

Why does it have to be a 5A school. There are fast people in all classifications. I saw a track team back in the 70's that only had 2 pople finish 2nd in state. They won the 100m, 200m, 400M, 800M, 1600m, 3200m, place in a couple field events. Yes there were a very small school. In the NE Texas area you will see results from some small high school meets that have faster times than some of the larger schools. Larger schools have an advantage in overall team scores and a lot of times with relays due to overall numbers and the law of averages. However, one on one may not be the case.

I've seen very few running events that were not wind-aided or ran with wind resistence. The wind blows most all the time, either from the front, back or side. I guess we would have to know how many MPH the wind was blowing D.J. ran and was their some devive wind that only blew when D.J. ran? Seems like other runners should have had some of the benefit of the wind as well including Rose. Indeed, Rose may be faster, I've heard that he was, but until he runs a fast 100M time, I will say that D.J. has the fastest time. Also, when looking at other runners time around the sate, I'm sure wind played some part in their times as well.

I know when State meets are run, the wind speeds are listed in the results for several running events.