Not all Carr's fault

March 22, 2007, 11:52AM

Treat new quarterback right, Texans

By RICHARD JUSTICE

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Please don't remember David Carr as a failure. It's not close to being that simple.

Of the many things the Houston Texans have done wrong, Carr is atop the list. But the truth is, the Texans failed Carr more than he ever failed them.

While the Carr era effectively ended for the Texans on Wednesday, here's guessing he wasn't at all unhappy to learn the team acquired another punching bag, agreeing to swap a package of draft choices for Atlanta Falcons backup quarterback Matt Schaub.

Schaub is young and talented, a first-rate prospect. In short, he's all the things Carr once was. If the Texans don't do things differently with Schaub than they did with Carr, he won't succeed, either.

Carr, whom the Texans wanted to build the franchise around when they selected him with their first draft pick in 2002, almost certainly will be traded or released before the start of training camp. After five seasons of pain and disappointment, he will have a chance to prove himself somewhere else. He may even embrace a second chance.

He needed a chance

Here's the oddest part of this story. Carr will leave Houston without us ever really knowing if he could have made it big. If only the Texans had done right by him. If only they'd given him a chance.

All we know for sure is that for the first four of Carr's five seasons, the Texans never gave him the coaching or protection he should have had. They never surrounded him with enough talent to succeed. It's unlikely any quarterback — Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees — could have looked good in the circumstances in which Carr was placed.

It's true he never had a game or stretch of games where he looked like a franchise quarterback, and that's why this trade had to be made. This deal makes the Texans better. The Texans are preparing for their sixth season. Their honeymoon is over.

Schaub is better than any of the quarterbacks the Texans could have acquired in free agency or the draft. The Texans paid a high price (two second-round picks and a swap of first-rounders), and because Schaub has made just two NFL starts, because he hasn't proved anything, the trade comes with plenty of risks.

That's how life is sometimes. There's risk. As for Carr, remember this: In five years, he conducted himself with class and professionalism. He was a stand-up guy, a good soldier.

No other quarterback in NFL history has ever taken the kind of pounding Carr took. In five seasons, he was sacked a numbing 249 times. That number doesn't include the hundreds of other times he was clobbered after releasing the ball. Think of all the times you've watched Carr try to get up, try to collect his wits, try to show he could take a punch.

He got it in the face and head, in the ribs and knees and back. And in five years, he missed just four games, all in 2003. Otherwise, he always answered the bell.

You can question a long list of things about Carr, but you can never question his toughness. Inside the organization, there were whispers about his work ethic and his instincts and the like. Some of that criticism came from people who were at least as much a part of the problem as Carr. They're some of the same people responsible for his getting hit so often.

After one game in 2004, Carr's wife, Melody, saw the way he was walking the day after a game and pleaded with him to go talk to his coaches about improving the pass protection. Some fans criticized Carr for getting jumpy in the pocket. That's no indication of weakness, as some have tried to make it seem. If you'd been hit in the head with a skillet for four years, wouldn't you get jumpy?

Took the blame

All of us have our favorite Carr moments. One occurred in the second game of his career when the San Diego Chargers pounded him mercilessly. Carr kept getting up. His clueless coach, Dom Capers, refused to pull him from that game. He wanted the other players to know Carr was a tough guy.

Another happened this year when the New England Patriots delivered a terrible beating. Carr made a bunch of mistakes and looked bad. After the game, he finally seemed like a guy who'd had enough. He seemed more dazed than angry.

My personal favorite came in 2004 against the Indianapolis Colts. All week, the Texans talked about how they were going to help their young offensive tackle, Seth Wand, keep the NFL's best pass-rusher, Dwight Freeney, off Carr's back.

They were going to hit Freeney with a tight end or a running back. They weren't going to ask Wand to block Freeney without some help. And then on the first play of the game, the Texans did just that. Freeney roared around Wand and delivered a massive hit on Carr.

Carr peeled himself off the turf and stayed in the game. Afterward, he said all the right things about how he was to blame for the loss, about how he could have been better. He never once said: ''These idiot coaches and no-talent offensive linemen are going to get me killed."

Kubiak gave hope

The Texans tried to help Carr some over the years. They brought in a few free-agent offensive linemen, most of them stiffs. They made changes on the coaching staff.

It wasn't until Gary Kubiak arrived last year that Carr finally began to have a chance. Kubiak improved the pass protection, got some better talent around Carr, coached him better. He gave him a chance to succeed.

Carr still played terribly. His 82.1 quarterback rating was nothing special. He threw 11 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions and lost seven fumbles. Kubiak tried everything. He screamed at Carr, hugged him, trimmed the game plan. Nothing worked. Carr still made too many mistakes and not enough plays.

By the end of last season, Carr no longer had the confidence of his teammates or coaches. If he's going to succeed, it will be elsewhere.

If Carr is angry about any of this, I'm guessing he'll never say it.

He has conducted himself one way since arriving and probably will continue to conduct himself that way.

For a guy who was supposed to be the face of the franchise, a guy who was showered with praise, a guy who once seemed perfect for the role, it's a sad ending. And not entirely his fault.

[email protected]

I have always supported Carr. I agree hes not fully to blame. However, I trust Kubiak knows what he is doing. He does not feel like Carr is the guy. For all we know it may not have anything to do with what Kubiac thinks about Carr's ability. Maybe Kubiac agrees with Justice's notion that the previous Texan regime practically ruined Carr. Whatever the reason, I trust it is the right one. I also think that Kubiac will avoid similar situations with his new youngster. Should be fun to watch.

Texan take another huge chance with this one... Vince Young would have only cost one first round pick. A backup that has not replaced Vick as QB cost the Texans basically three daft picks, two second rounders and moving down the board in the first round. I hope the Texans know what they are doing.

The Texans need to improve their O-line... until they improve it with more talented players or improve the performance of existing players, their entire offense will continue to struggle.

This is not Carr's fault. That can be laid squarely at the feet of Charlie Casserly. The Texans should be concerned with the OL & DL this year. If they had taken Bush last year they would have had their version of the triplets - Carr, Bush & Johnson. They'd be in a lot better shape right now.

BUT WHAT SPECIFICALLY SHOULD THEY DO????? I get tired of hearing the OL needs to improve without an explaination. Im not saying their a good line. But unless you know whats wrong with it, how can you say it needs improvement. Who is weak, and, what is the weakness. When we have established that then we should talk about who can be added to help. That type of conversation is what these threads are for. Im not calling anyone out. But whats the point in posting if all we can say is the o-line #### and the Texans must be smoking something.

Guest CNOrtega
Originally posted by scrott752

BUT WHAT SPECIFICALLY SHOULD THEY DO????? I get tired of hearing the OL needs to improve without an explaination. Im not saying their a good line. But unless you know whats wrong with it, how can you say it needs improvement. Who is weak, and, what is the weakness. When we have established that then we should talk about who can be added to help. That type of conversation is what these threads are for. Im not calling anyone out. But whats the point in posting if all we can say is the o-line #### and the Texans must be smoking something.

If they play tackle, guard, or center and they play for the Houston Texans, they are weak and the fact that they are weak is the weakness of the Houston line. There's not one good offensive lineman on their roster. Not one.

Originally posted by CNOrtega

If they play tackle, guard, or center and they play for the Houston Texans, they are weak and the fact that they are weak is the weakness of the Houston line. There's not one good offensive lineman on their roster. Not one.

You cant be serious. Did you read my post. Do you know the name of even one of these guys? If so what is his weakness and how can they upgrade?? Humor me. Please.

That's right. I watched Manning in the '70's in New Orleans. He would take the snap and start scrambling. Would have had Marino numbers with half of Marino's OL.

.....But you can't blame Casserly. None of the great minds know who is going to be great early on. That is what makes sports so great. If you could predict the future you would be rich beyond yor wildest dreams !! Need I ask.......What's in your wallet, mate ?

You are correct but at least give Ol' Danderoo his due and spell it M-E-R-E-D-I-T-H, thank you.

Nobody in musical history ever had a better rendition of "Turn Out The Light's, The Party's Over" and performed it on MNF many times, than Danderoo himself.

Originally posted by shoelessjoelives

You are correct but at least give Ol' Danderoo his due and spell it M-E-R-E-D-I-T-H, thank you.

Nobody in musical history ever had a better rendition of "Turn Out The Light's, The Party's Over" and performed it on MNF many times, than Danderoo himself.

I humbly apologize for my spelling error.

The Texans have only made three good moves in the existence of the franchise:

1. Draft Carr

2. Hire Kubiak

3. Release Carr

I think Kubiak is a very bright guy but the mistakes are going to be too much or take too long for him to overcome. What a mess!

• 3 weeks later...

Specifically, they should draft another starting quality left tackle, a real center, and a right tackle. None of the guys playing those positions the last five years have been starting quality. The pass protection is aweful and the run blocking doesn't work except with teams weak in run defense. They are supposed to be running a Denver style Zone blocking scheme. That has been compromised since Mike Sherman has tried to make a Green Bay Power Blocking/ Denver Zone blocking hybrid. The two schemes require different kinds of lineman. This just adds to the confusion.

Charles Spencer, the one guy that looked like a starter last year broke his leg with an injury that might be carreer ending. His return is still not for certain. Since then, the only guys the Texans have signed in FA are people who have experience but are not starter quality. For instance Jordan Black who played for the Chiefs. His KC team mates called him Hwy 65, because all the pass rush traffic to the QB came right thru him. Ephraim Salaam who was a starter last year is old and is getting on in years and is not a very good pass protection blocker. Winston, who played in place of the injured Spencer really needed more development and is still not really starter quality. Flannigan at Center was just a shadow of his former self and it was clear why the Packers let him go. The line was never able to sustain blocks for more than 1.3 seconds. That is not nearly enough time to get the primary receiver downfield. As a result short dump off passes on the run were all that Carr could get off. Somehow that was his fault. This in turn made Kubiak, the football genius that he is decide Carr could not run the offense. He "dumbed down" the playbook and refused to let him run a two minute offense. The final result was Carr's being replaced. Go figure. I saw the same games that Kubiak saw, but he couldn't tell his O-line was not doing the job. So o-line is not a real priority.

There was no real depth. I think all the Texans carried to games was seven lineman. That is the starting five interior lineman and two replacements. None of these guys would be starters on any body else's team. They have not ever done all they can with the line. This team has always been content to go after forth, fith and sixth rounders believing that guys from those rounds would do. Or they take under talent FA's and think more people is the answer. What this team needs is quality and no FO or Coaching staff they have ever had seems to realize O-line and D-line are the building blocks of a team. It is as if they have been scared to take a chance on quality o-line guys since the Boselli deal went bust. And Sadly, Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak seem to be following the same "any old lineman will do" philosophy.

Anybody who reads Garr's comments in his press conference with the Charlotte Observer will see he is glad to be out of this losing situation.

There we go Wolf. Thats what Im talking about. I agree mostly. I just wanted to see someone explain themselves. I do think you are underestimating Kubiaks ability to control Sherman. We will see. If they draft lineman we ought to be able to determine what scheme they are drafting for.