Gladewater 2 White Oak 1

Golfingnut

Gladewater.........The Gladewater Bears kept their playoff hopes alive, as they beat the White Oak Roughnecks 2-1 in District 15-3A action. Nick Clifton went the distance on the mound for the Bears, giving up one run on three hits, and striking out eight.

White Oak threatened in the first. Lead off man Blake Ware reached base after being hit by a 1-1 pitch. After stealing second, Ware tried to score on a Jackson McCurdy single to left, but a great throw by the Bear's Josh Holley nailed Ware at the plate.

The Roughnecks got their only run of the game in the 4th, as Travis Koonce launched a 3-2 pitch to deep left field for a Roughneck Homerun and a 1-0 lead.

White Oak's lead stood until the 6th as Roughneck pitcher Derek Bowen struckout seven and allowed only two hits in the first five innings.

Hayden Gage got the Bear 6th started as he reached first after a third strike got past the catcher. Bowen struckout the next Bear batter, but a stolen base and a pass ball put Gage on third with one out. Shane Flesher put down a perfect bunt single that scored Gage to tie the game at 1-1. After another Bowen strikeout, the Bear's Cody Burks blooped a 0-2 pitch to right for a RBI single to give Gladewater the 2-1 lead. The Bears, who had loaded the bases in both the 4th and 5th innings, stranded ten runners on the night.

White Oak did manage an infield hit in the 7th, but fluouts to Holley and Davis Roebuck clinched the victory for Gladewater.

Pitchers

Gladewater-Nick Clifton

White Oak-Derek Bowen

Catchers

Gladewater-Colt Barber

White Oak-Logan King

Extra Base Hits-

Gladewater- Cody Burks Double 6th

White Oak-Travis Koonce HR 4th

Great job by both pitchers, Nick Clifton and Derek Bowen, who were both workhorses on the mound.

Clifton 8 K's, 3 Hits, 8 walks 147 total pitches

Bowen 7 K's, 4 Hits, 3 walks 126 pitches

Offensive:

1) props go to the Bear's Shane Flesher, who put down a perfect bunt single that scored Gladewater's first run.

2) Colt Barber, who had two of the Bear's 4 hits

3) Cody Burks whose double off the glove of the White Oak right fielder drove in the winning run.

Also to the Roughneck's Travis Koonce for the homerun shot in the 4th to put White Oak in the lead.

Also to White Oak's Blake Ware, who reached base all four times, once being hit by a pitch, twice by walks, and by an infield hit in the 7th.

Defensively:

1) Josh Holley who played outstanding in left and made the throw that cut down the White Oak runner in the first. Great job Josh.

2) Outfielders Cody Burks and Davis Roebuck, who had to catch some tough flys that the wind made very difficult.

3) Second Baseman Tim Bauman, who made an outstanding play in the 7th to keep White Oak's leadoff guy from reaching. Good job Tim

For White Oak

1) SS Blake King, who was fantastic in the field

2) Craig Blankenship, who made a heads up play in the 1st to catch the runner at second.

3) Props also go out to Blake Ware in RF who made a diving attempt to catch the Burks hit that scored the winning run. Great try, you had no choice but to go for it.

Originally posted by baseball17272

the hit by burks in the 6th was a pop fly which went down as a error when the right fielder missed the fly ball....no stroked double there

Actually you are right, it wasn't a double. It was a single that got past the diving right fielder. I don't know why you would give him an error, he had no choice but to go for the catch. The runner would have scored either way, but unless you are giving him an error because Burks took second, there isn't an error. IMO

the hit by burks in the 6th was a pop fly which went down as a error when the right fielder missed the fly ball....no stroked double there

I changed it just for you, but I'm not giving the guy an error.

Originally posted by Basketball09

Bowen threw a hell of a game, just somes costly errors where the downfall for the necks.

Bowen threw a great game, but the only thing that cost the Roughnecks was the PB on the strikeout and the PB that got the runner to third, so he could score on the bunt single.

I thought it was a very good game by both teams. Gladewater got good pitching from Clifton just as White Oak did with Bowen. The game stayed close, so that either team could have pulled it out. I don't believe either team had a downfall.

Guest texpal22

GW amazes me. they go out and beat WO, Gilmer and Mineola but when they play SH they look terrible. oh well congrats to the Bears

Originally posted by texpal22

GW amazes me. they go out and beat WO, Gilmer and Mineola but when they play SH they look terrible. oh well congrats to the Bears

texpal22, you have to remember SH didn't have to get 22 runs the first game against Gladewater or 11 runs in the second game to beat the Bears. If either game would have ended 5-1, would you have said that the Bears looked bad? Probably not, but the final score didn't mean anything. The fact was SH got very good pitching from Fudge/Simon/Foster in the first game and Robbins in the last game.

Maybe folks need to give more credit to SH than to just say Gladewater played bad.

Guest texpal22
Originally posted by golffingnut
Originally posted by texpal22

texpal22, you have to remember SH didn't have to get 22 runs the first game against Gladewater or 11 runs in the second game to beat the Bears. If either game would have ended 5-1, would you have said that the Bears looked bad? Probably not, but the final score didn't mean anything. The fact was SH got very good pitching from Fudge/Simon/Foster in the first game and Robbins in the last game.

Maybe folks need to give more credit to SH than to just say Gladewater played bad.

i wasn't down playing Spring Hill's performance in either game against GW in any way. what i was referring to was how poorly GW played in the field those games. now had they played good defense the final scores could have possibly been 5-1 as you stated.

you took what i said the wrong way. that does tend to happen on Smoaky occasionally.

Originally posted by golffingnut

Actually you are right, it wasn't a double. It was a single that got past the diving right fielder. I don't know why you would give him an error, he had no choice but to go for the catch. The runner would have scored either way, but unless you are giving him an error because Burks took second, there isn't an error. IMO

................................................................................

Well, I guess that I'll throw in a 3rd opinion ...

One rule of scoring is that you don't penalize a fielder who tries to make an extraordinary effort on a play. On the blooper to right field, the fielder dove for the ball, trying to catch it on the fly instead of short hopping it for a single.

When the ball bounced away from the diving prone stretched-out fielder, the batter continued to 2nd on the play. I ruled it in my book as a double. The key is the fielder's extraordinary effort to catch the ball. And the batter gets benefit of any extra bases he can reach while the baseball is being "brought under control" and returned to the infield.

well maroonandwhite i guess the ump was wrong since you where there. It funny when white oak loses a game its because of someone else. seen it in football basketball and now baseball. just face it you lost you year in sports has not been what yall wanted it to be and work hard in the off season so you will have a better year next year.

Guest texpal22
Originally posted by GWbaseball07
Originally posted by maroonandwhite34

i was right there as well.

i was probably the closest.

it doesn't matter now

GW 2

WO 1

Originally posted by GWbaseball07
Originally posted by maroonandwhite34

i was right there as well.

i was probably the closest.

Now that's funny. You always could make me laugh.

It was a great throw and a great catch.