3A Region II track meet

PurpleFreddy

I just looked at the results and, for the first time in a long time that I can remember, Atlanta had only one first place finisher (Bobby Washington in the high jump). Also I looked at some of the field event winning marks, especially by the girls, and they were better than the 4A Region II winners at Denton yesterday.

Yeah, but the most amazing performance of the meet was turned in by the fine folks at TAMU-Commerce. What a bunch of idiots!!! Their level of incompetence reached unheard of levels this past weekend. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, they lower the bar. When will the UIL take this meet away from them?

Originally posted by 4th&Goal

Yeah, but the most amazing performance of the meet was turned in by the fine folks at TAMU-Commerce. What a bunch of idiots!!! Their level of incompetence reached unheard of levels this past weekend. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, they lower the bar. When will the UIL take this meet away from them?

You are right -- it was pretty bad.

Originally posted by boydawg1
Originally posted by clawsnstripes

what happened, i wasn't there?

What was the deal about not having cell phones on the field?

1. $12 adult admission - $6 for students. A family I knew came for Saturdays finals - $42 for a man, his wife, and 3 kids. State meet admission is only $10.

2. Pole vault should have started at 9 on Friday - it finally got underway at 10:30. Made everything else that day late. When you make plans for events to begin when they are supposed to and they don't, it messes everything on your schdeule up. Example - not only could those vaulters have got an extra hours sleep, but because it started late, the running finals were late. That makes a difference when you are sharing an athlete with softball who has a playoff game that evening, but who also runs an event for you in track. Also made those who were commuting arrive back at school LATE on Friday night, and then get right back up early next morning - we are only 40 minutes away and didn't get home till near midnight, and then had to turn around and come back early next morning.

3. Inconsistency with uniform rules. At the discus on Friday, they made a kid take off an undershirt because they could see the "ack" of the word track THROUGH the white part of his singlet. At the shot put on Saturday, kids basically had on whatever they wanted to wear. Inconsistent - if its gonna be strict, let's make it that way all around.

4. Inconsistency about where you could be and not be. All meet long, they harped and harped about staying behind the caution tape. A group of folks from Atlanta spent all of Friday and most of Saturday in the shade of the scoreboard, keeping outside the caution tape and not causing any trouble at all. They were in a place which was supposedly acceptable - they had been there nearly two whole days minding their own business and staying outside the tape. Saturday, meet officials sent two of the Campus Finest to run them off right before finals. Didn't have guts enough to do it themselves, instead, sent two of the campus police to do it. Guess they thought that the Runnin' Rabbs fans might do to them what the Runnin Rabbs were doing to the rest of the teams at the meet.

5. Let's not even get into the 1st heat of the girls 100 hurdles semifinals. Tried to recall the heat, but waited until the girls were over the 3rd hurdle and on way to 4th before they shot it. Some girls slowed, others who were out front and focused didn't. This made the others who slowed realize they better be safe, so they started up again. That heat had to run their heat over again. Unacceptable!

6. General rudeness of just about every event staffer I met with the exception of the university students who were working the meet. The university staff, however, were as arrogant as usual - like they are doing us a favor by even being in our presence. But they KNOW ALL ABOUT TRACK!! Guess that's why they kept score all day Friday giving points for 8 places instead of 6. Had to go back and fix all that on Saturday.

7. The stadium is still a dump - one restroom for men and one for women, the toilets won't flush. Track is alright - the turf is real pretty, but the overall experience is not too memorable as far as I am concerned. And to think, I got my diploma from there. Still wonder why I didn't aspire to be a Lumberjack!

OMG What stories. We were reassigned to Region 3 this year so we were in Humble. Sounds like that was a better situation by far. We loved it. Entry was $5 a day. Tshirts were only $10 and there are a million places to eat, stay and play when you aren't at the meet. Food and drinks weren't sky high either. It was so hot on Saturday they ran out of everything to sell to drink so they were giving away styrofoam cups of ice water. Well run meet from the starting line to taking care of the fans.

Beats the heck out of Commerce for sure and from the sounds of the way the meet was run...really a better situation. What does it take to get a regional meet moved to a new venue?

Only counted 2 hotels in commerce. Facilities not very nice. Starter not very professional. Friday nite mile relay at 10:45pm. Running not start until 4Pm on sat and check out time is 11am on sat. would Tyler not be a good place to move this meet??

Believe it or not, it used to be worse.

20 yrs ago ETSU had p.e. grad students running off the meet. What a mess!! One year the curve judge for the break pole on the second leg of the 4x400 was standing on the infield leaning against the goal post!

I think the next year each school had to send coaches to run off the meet. Now it sounds like the UIL has taken over running it but it doesn't sound like it has gotten any better.

here is a good one from the REgion 2 meet...

At the Shot and Discus they had to of course pool their implements. Well...after the pre-lims the ones who had not made the finals went over to grab their implement to take it home and the officials told them they could'nt take it or they would be disqualified.

Man, someone beat me to this post. Half of our entries were wrong when we got there for the meeting. half of our kids listed under another school. They said it was not their fault because they go by district results that are faxed to them. Only, we got the same fax from our district chair and they were correct. When I mentioned checking the online verification form for clarification, the meet director said they did not look at them, they go by dist. results. My question then was why do we go thru the hassle of doing the online form! College kids were used as track judges and they were very inconsistent. The track meet has been a cluster for years! This one might have been one of the worst ever! Congrats A&M Commerce! YOU HAVE OUTDONE YOURSELF! At least they could have had the event back in Greenville where the facilities are better.

How about Cox from PG winning her preliminary heat TWICE after about 5 times coming out of the blocks and over a couple of hurdles. Then they said she didn't even make the finals. They had her as 17th place after the prelims. They took several butt-chewings over that one, and it took them until the 200 to get it straightened out. UIL officials? Only a few. No, college kids were botching alot of this.

I was there for discus, my son threw and they had many issues, I think the biggest was parking none avail. anywhere,they had to turn around and go back and get different clothing because they were told they would not be allowed to compete,but then they did not enforce that . I am ready for someplace different for sure.......