No Aggies selected in NFL draft

Aggie2008

OK, so I thought I would start a thread bashing Coach Fran for not developing his players. But beforehand I thought I'd do a little research to back up my claims. Well, turns out my original thoughts may have been unfounded.

This was Fran's first recruiting class...although most of the players commited while RC was still the head coach. "Starter" means they will start next season.

Jorrie Adams - not on team

Chris Alexander - Starter

Derrick Brown - not on team

Japhus Brown - Starter

Joseph Bryant - Starter

Melvin Bullitt - Not Drafted

Corey Clark - Starter

Kirk Elder - Starter

Chris Harrington - Starter

Stephen Hodge - Hasn't played much

Jason Jack - Left Early, not drafted

Charlie Jefferson - never enrolled

John Kelly - not on team

Eric Mayes - not on team

Lamar Mitchell - transferred

Mike Montgomery - Green Bay: 6th Round

Broderick Newton - not on team

Tate Pittman - not on team

Earvin Taylor - Starter

Joey Thomas - lots of playing time

Ta Ta Thompson - left to write poetry

Cody Wallace - Starter

Justin Warren - Not Drafted

Chris Yoder - Starter

Basically, out of this class we had 3 players declare for the draft. Warren, Lewis, and Bullitt.

We all know about Lewis' injury problems. Warren had a serious lack of speed and nagging shoulder injuries that raised a lot of red flags. Bullitt worked hard, played hard, but wasn't as fast or talented as the other safeties in this draft.

When you look at the last five NFL drafts, the ONLY A&M player to be drafted on the first day since 2002 was Terrence Murphy. So RC's last 3 recruiting classes netted ZERO first-day draft talent. No wonder A&M was so bad Fran's first year.

HOWEVER, when you look at player development, next year's starters (redshirted Fran's first year) who are on this list all have VERY good chances at getting drafted. I can't really blame Fran for this year's lack of NFL talent. I think it just goes to show that he wasn't working with a full glass when he showed up here. Next year we may very well have 6 or 7 go in the draft.

Those of you on here know I'm not Fran's biggest fan, but an honest look at the situation means I have to be honest in the way I perceive this year's draft.

Originally posted by clawsnstripes

so aggie, you're giving fran a "thumb's up"?

No, more like to the side. I honestly can't give him a thumbs down. I don't think you can coach things like speed or injuries. You have to go with the flow.

Originally posted by Smoaky

Just got off the phone with Justin Warren, he has agreed to terms with the Patriots as an undrated free agent.

Smoaky

Good for him. I figured he'd end up on a roster somewhere. His bad outing at the combines really kind of messed up his draft potential.

Originally posted by Immortal13
Originally posted by Smoaky

Just got off the phone with Justin Warren, he has agreed to terms with the Patriots as an undrated free agent.

Smoaky

Good for him. I figured he'd end up on a roster somewhere. His bad outing at the combines really kind of messed up his draft potential.

It probably didn't help he got worse every year.

Originally posted by LJLPOP10

Melvin Bullitt is expected to sign with the Colts on Tuesday as well.

Hey smokie, why didn't you post a response on the Aggies only thread?

... because it says aggie fans only...in case you havent noticed my alma mater is ut...why would i bother with that thread?...:zorro:

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Gotta hand it to ya crabapple, you held off posting on this thread longer than I thought you would.

You are a pillar of self-restraint.

Originally posted by Aggie2008

OK, so I thought I would start a thread bashing Coach Fran for not developing his players. But beforehand I thought I'd do a little research to back up my claims. Well, turns out my original thoughts may have been unfounded.

When you look at the last five NFL drafts, the ONLY A&M player to be drafted on the first day since 2002 was Terrence Murphy. So RC's last 3 recruiting classes netted ZERO first-day draft talent. No wonder A&M was so bad Fran's first year.

HOWEVER, when you look at player development, next year's starters (redshirted Fran's first year) who are on this list all have VERY good chances at getting drafted. I can't really blame Fran for this year's lack of NFL talent. I think it just goes to show that he wasn't working with a full glass when he showed up here. Next year we may very well have 6 or 7 go in the draft.

Those of you on here know I'm not Fran's biggest fan, but an honest look at the situation means I have to be honest in the way I perceive this year's draft.

Aggie2008,

While there's no doubt you have forgotten way more about A&M football than I know, I think it's player development. A&M had six players selected in 2003, including two first-rounders. But just four Aggies have been taken in the last two drafts, none in the first round. While we can agree than Fran came in with Slocum's players, A&M has always had good recruit classes. I will praise you for sticking with your coach though. We know he's around for at least one more year, so Aggies should rally behind him. If you guys see sometime during the season that there's just no future with Fran, then rake him through the coals.

I think that was actually 2002, but I could be mistaken...that year we had 6 players go on the first day. Since then, only one.

I think people forget that no one of significance has left early to enter the draft at A&M in a while...so it's basically our graduating seniors that haven't been making the grade, so up until next year its been Slocum's players. However, our 2003 redshirt class is about to graduate next season, and I think up to 8 may end up being drafted. Most of the players Fran was trying to develop out of this graduating class he redshirted his first year. Fran also lost a lot of those good recruits as soon as RC was let go or soon thereafter.

He was stuck with not-so-great talent and we went 4-8 which threw back our recruiting even more. We're going to see a big turnaround in terms of draft talent coming out of A&M next year which will help our program a lot. That being said, we had a 9-4 team last year that competed with the best of the Big 12 and lost no one of NFL-calibur talent. I think that says a lot about next year's team.

...i must have missed it...what have they won?...fran takes good prospects and doesnt develop them...i give the ags a hard time...but i would like to see them go out and get a good, young, fiery coach and compete...it is good for the big 12 and college football...too much tradition at a&m to not be contending more...:zorro:

Originally posted by SmokieCrabtree

...i must have missed it...what have they won?...fran takes good prospects and doesnt develop them...i give the ags a hard time...but i would like to see them go out and get a good, young, fiery coach and compete...it is good for the big 12 and college football...too much tradition at a&m to not be contending more...:zorro:

they won nine games...what more do aggies want? a championship every season?...how many teams wouldn't want to win nine games and be able to go to a bowl (although it seems more than half of college football gets to go to bowl games) and be able to showcase who they are to an area that doesn't normally get to see what A&M is about

I like the Horns better than the Aggies but I want A&M to be successful and win every game except against Texas. I thought Fran was a great hire but I'm doubting myself now. He might turn out that way. This season is very important for him so we'll just have to see how it goes. I think A&M could be good with so many returning starters.

Who cares except for the players whether they get drafted or not anyway? I would rather have Chris Leak than won a championship than Beck or Edwards that didn't win anything. Size is way overrated in the NFL.

Originally posted by kevnasty

now honestly, does this come as a surprise?

Yes. What are you trying to say? And why dont you just say it. I would advise you to do a little research before you do say something that makes you look silly. Aggies have a pretty good history with The League.