Two backup UT linemen announce transfer

davidm

Two UT linemen transfer

Webb, Watts say playing time a factor in leaving

By Suzanne Halliburton

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Two Texas reserve offensive linemen — J'Marcus Webb and Roy Watts — have left the Longhorns football team and plan to transfer.

The athletic department issued a statement Wednesday confirming the news.

Both had been on the team for a year. Both linemen said they left the team to seek a program where they could receive more playing time.

Before his departure, Webb seemed to be on track for more playing time at Texas, especially since the Longhorns were looking to replace three starters from the offensive line.

He was a Parade magazine All-American out of North Mesquite High School and was one of the more heralded recruits in his class. Webb played in 12 of 13 games as a freshman last fall as a reserve tackle and on special teams. Typically, freshman linemen rarely play, since most need an extra year to allow their bodies to physically mature.

"It was a very difficult decision but one I feel is in my best interest," Webb said in a statement. "If I want to have an opportunity to play more my best chance is to transfer. Everyone has been very supportive at Texas and I'll always be pulling for them."

Watts, from Houston Worthing High School, redshirted last fall. He spent the season working with the scout team as a right tackle.

Texas coach Mack Brown said: "We appreciate everything that J'Marcus and Roy did for our football program. They are nice young men who told us that they had a great experience but felt their best opportunity for more playing time was to transfer. We wish them both the best of luck in the future."

Originally posted by bigdawg16

1 year and done?? oh well.....how bout working your way into the lineup? It was a no-brainer in high school they would play..now that they may actually have some competition they bail?

maybe they realize that texas signed people just as good or better than them for the past few years.. resulting in sitting the bench for 2-3 years before breakin the depth chart.

Well I think personally that kids need to understand up front (and many don't) that when they leave high school, they are not the "studs" anymore. They are joining a team that is known for recruiting the best linemen in the nation and turning out the most linemen into the NFL. They have their work cut out for them and if they want to play, they better have it all together or they will sit. I wish these two guys the best of luck and I am quite certain, they will move into the starting lineup in wherever they decide to transfer. Personally, I don't know their situations, but I am guessing they were not as good as the others and they didn't give it enough time in Austin.

They had to transfer because of grades, not playing time!!! J'Marcus Webb played 12 games last year as a true freshman and Roy Watts was a redshirt. Both HAD to transfer because of grades. Mack still wants J'Marcus Webb back after he gets his grades up. If they transferred for playing time, they wouldn't go to a JUCO, they'd be go to a D1-AA like Texas State or Sam Houston St......

It's good to hear that Texas is recruiting such "fine" student-athletes... why recruit kids who will have trouble making their grades when there are so many out there who can? I'm also glad Texas and Texas A&M have such good farm systems where they can send those non-qualifiers and academic ineligibles for a little while... what a way to beat the system...

We no longer value the "STUDENT" part in the student-athlete... keep on winning those championships, though.

I beg your pardon? Just because we are talking about 2 players not making their grades........does that mean the entire team isn't making their grades? Would you like to take a guess as to how many ACADEMIC ALL AMERICANS Texas has? Not just football either. ALL sports! I challenge you Mr. Owl. Go do a little research and I'll promise you, you will come back here with a whole new idea about what you are talking about.

And speaking of JUCO's, lets talk about ALL of the non athletes that transfer out of UT due to grades and head to JUCO's to get their grades up. It's a bunch!!! Do you have a problem with them doing it?

Owl you make a valid point. The NCAA realized they many programs were not focusing on the "student" side of the equation and instituted penalties for not paying attention to the "academic" side of the student-athlete. If the student athletes do not make "adequate yearly progress", a program can lose scholarships. I am happy to report Texas had the best report card in the Big XII based on the lastest NCCA grade report.

Not sure if you are a Rice supporter. They focus on the "student" side of the equation to the detriment of the "athletic" side of the equation in football. I respect Rice's position, but in the case of football program they have little business in Div I-A.

Overall, I think Texas has a balanced approach to this difficult balance.

I don't think Rice's football program has much to do with the high academic standards of the school. It was a strong academic school from the beginning. Not to mention, the Owls were a decent football team "back in the day."

Originally posted by Middle

I don't think Rice's football program has much to do with the high academic standards of the school.

Middle - I was addressing the fact that currently before an athletic scholarship can be issued at Rice, the student must be approved by faculty and demonstrate can succeed in the classroom. Few Div 1-A schools have this requirement (maybe Stanford). Not many students can qualify to enter Rice, let alone ones distracted by athletics.

I do not know a school where the athletics drive the academic standards of a school. But I will say a healthy athletic program can help an university reach its academic goals.

I would submit a hypothesis that academic giving has a direct corelation the athletic successes of an university. When Rice won the NCAA in baseball, I bet the alumni gave a tad bit more. When Texas won the NCAA football national championship, more chairs were endowed for professors than the previous year.

Jeremy Campbell, a LB at Texas who was an honor student in high school, had to sit out the spring because of grades. Just because one does well in highschool doesn't mean they'll adjust to college the same. Some have a hard time in college. I'll admit, my first semester was awful, but I've adapted and have done better since. But the fact that these players take 12 hrs a semester and have all the free tutoring they need, being unable to hold on to the 2.0 GPA or whatever they need, I dont feel sorry for those kids

Bordertown, I am a Rice Owl supporter, alumni and 4 year football letterwinner. I played the University of Texas 3 out of my 4 years while at Rice. '97 UT won 38-31. '98 UT crushed us. '99 UT beat us 18-13. To say that Rice does not belong in Div. I A football is assinine on your part.

You may be correct in saying that UT has their fair share of Academic All-Americans, but if you want to compare their GPAs and I.Q.s to Rice athletes I'm afraid you would be very disappointed. And yes, I know you'll come back and say that we should compare the scoreboard between the two schools over the last 5 years... not even close the other way!

My argument is not about who has better grades or the better team... it is about who is promoting the "STUDENT" athlete? Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Florida, Florida State, etc... they are not. They have some outstanding student-athletes, but to say that the student-athlete at these schools is the main focus is absurd. Most athletes go to these schools with the intent of playing at the next level.

It's not about Texas and Rice... it is an argument about what college sports is. To be perfectly honest, the best student/athletes and the truest form of non-professional athletics at the collegiate level occurs at the Service academies and in the IVY Leage. All the rest of the schools and conferences are trying to make money off athletics.

Sorry I rambled. Let me close in saying the UT and A&M are very fine schools and a degree from one of these is very well respected.

look kids want to play...you can't put these guys down because they want to get out there onto the field and be apart of the game...i've heard rumor of a particular someone that could be leaving ann arbor and play back home with the hogs because things didn't quite pan out like he hoped at his possition...but you can't really blame these guys. this isn't like they are transferring because they did something wrong. it's because they want to play the game they love

Originally posted by Owl54

It's good to hear that Texas is recruiting such "fine" student-athletes... why recruit kids who will have trouble making their grades when there are so many out there who can? I'm also glad Texas and Texas A&M have such good farm systems where they can send those non-qualifiers and academic ineligibles for a little while... what a way to beat the system...

We no longer value the "STUDENT" part in the student-athlete... keep on winning those championships, though.

some guys are gifted mentally, some physically...some both. would you rather have an adrian peterson who needless to say lacks a little upstairs, or the running back you have at rice who may have a 3.6 or so. be honest now...don't kid yourself

It's good to hear that Texas is recruiting such "fine" student-athletes... why recruit kids who will have trouble making their grades when there are so many out there who can?

To answer your question: they don't. Mack requires a high school 3.0 gpa to even be considered. Name me another elite D1 program that does that.

Fortunately, Texas now has the luxury of doing both. Another difference is that these kids are weeded out at Texas instead of being passed through.

Hey Owl,

First of all, I did not say Rice didn't deserve to be in Div. 1A. You better go back and re-read what I wrote. You are sort of going off of the beaten path of what we were originally talking about and by doing so, you are sort of comparing apples to oranges.

First of all, NONE of this has to do with the score on the scoreboard. I don't think you realize who you are talking to but if you have not noticed, I do not get involved in bashing other schools or programs. I discuss facts and I put no stock in rumors.

Rice, Southern Methodist and Baylor are the 3 top academic institutions in Texas. Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech are your next tier. With regards to academics and athletics at Texas, it is true that Brown will not give you the time of day if you are not carrying a 3.0 or better. If you are borderline and super athlete, you MIGHT get in and in some circumstances, you might get sent to a JUCO to prove yourself in the classroom.

I don't think there is a single person on this site that will ever run down Rice Univ. Mainly because they are not interested in winning championships and if they should win one like they did in baseball a few years back, then all the better. Ken Hatfield came to Rice for just this very reason. There was no pressure on him to win. His mission was to recruit only steller athletes that would first succeed in the classroom and then secondly, succeed on the field.

Nobody is saying that Texas doesn't make money during football season. At the same time, nobody has their head in the sand and pretends that kids do not struggle academically at Texas. They do. They are kids. They party, don't study like they should and they enjoy football or whatever sport they are playing. BUT, when it is time to pay the piper for all of their goofing off, then you have kids transferring to suddenly get serious and get there grades back up.

If you played a sport at Rice, you should be proud. Not many folks can say that.

Longhorn Fan,

I apologize. I meant to direct my comment to Bordertown... not you. You make a very good argument about what Texas stands for. I will even go so far as to say that UT is probably one of the most elite schools when it comes to the high academic standards and expectations of its athletes and the high expectations of its athletic accomplishments. In fact, I would put it in a league with Michigan and Ohio State concerning the combination of the two. Thank you for the complimentary statements about Rice. I have a lot of pride in my school, still.

I will also agree that we are comparing apples to oranges when we compare Rice University and the University of Texas... but the "athletes" (kids) are the same kids that played beside each other in High School. I assure you the athletes at Rice want to be "Big" Time and to compete and win championships just as much as the athletes at any school. Just because the University (Rice) does not place the importance does not mean the kids don't. It is a frustrating thing to be a part of... believe me!

I know I'm grossly outnumbered here on this board and my perspective is definitely in contrast from all the UT fans, but I still have to stick with the way I feel.

A couple of comments.

1) Owl54 I was thinking of the Ivy League when I make my comment that Rice does not belong Div 1A. I concede by the faculty screening process that Rice has probably the highest academic ranking of athletes in Div 1A behind possibly Stanford. The question of whether Rice belonged in Div 1A football was not questioned by Bordertown, but several years ago by the Rice Trustees. They seriously considered dropping D1-A football at the school. Out of Curiosity, which Big XII schools offered you a scholarship? If it makes you feel any better, I think Rice has the right idea of the STUDENT athlete.

2) Longhorn Fan you are way out of line if you think Texas is a second tier academic institution in Texas. Brain for brain, Rice is #1 and you might put a couple of schools like Austin College ahead of Texas. The academic reputation of Texas & our beloved A&M dwarfs Baylor and SMU. If you have not seen how Texas programs are rated, you would be amazed.

Bordertown,

Good shot at the ole' ego there, man. Oklahoma State offerred me a scholarship, too.

You are right... "some" Rice faculty members and trustees proposed a plan to get rid of Div. I football at Rice. That plan was put down very quickly and harshly by athletic supporters. However, that is what I'm talking about that bothers me about Rice. The lack of commitment from the entire school to athletic success. It does make me feel better to hear you say that Rice has the right idea about the student-athlete.

My argument... I want Rice to be competitive in Div. I football... but they will not be competitive unless every other Div. I school has the same stance on the "Student / athlete". Am I making any sense? I also realize that this will never, ever, happen. I just don't want to see Rice lose Div. I football, but you guys are right when you say that they can not compete with the current standards and expectations. I'm fighting a losing battle and I know it... but I still believe that it is the right way to do things.

Bordertown, you are correct in saying that Texas and A&M are very fine academic institutions... I have never doubted that.

You are right... "some" Rice faculty members and trustees proposed a plan to get rid of Div. I football at Rice. That plan was put down very quickly and harshly by athletic supporters. However, that is what I'm talking about that bothers me about Rice. The lack of commitment from the entire school to athletic success. It does make me feel better to hear you say that Rice has the right idea about the student-athlete.

My argument... I want Rice to be competitive in Div. I football... but they will not be competitive unless every other Div. I school has the same stance on the "Student / athlete". Am I making any sense? I also realize that this will never, ever, happen. I just don't want to see Rice lose Div. I football, but you guys are right when you say that they can not compete with the current standards and expectations. I'm fighting a losing battle and I know it... but I still believe that it is the right way to do things.

Now see we really agree!!!

Owl we are getting away from sports, but I attended the UT commencement last weekend. The spreaker was a 2006 Pulitzer Prize winning History Professor from UT. In his speech, he was charging the Texas-Exes to give more to the University. At a "liberal" university like UT, I was surprised he did not lash out at the athletic giving. Instead he saw the athletics as an avenue to build alumni pride and increase giving to all aspects the university.

I mention that to say when a history professor sees the reality of the "student athlete" to the fund raising efforts on the academic side, your utopic view (which I agree with in concept) is no happening any time soon.

On a positive note, the NCAA thru some of their rules are requiring universities to address the "student" side. In the 70s when I was in school and scholarships were unlimited, universities had joke classes like "basket weaving" to keep good players eligible. Schools such are Texas are realigning their curriculum to get student athletes an undergraduate degree in 3.5 years. It does not help the student athlete like Vince Young who leaves in 2.5 years.

Secondly with respect to football, the NFL has finally put a focus on "character". Two kids from Texas (notice I am using my own versus other schools with a rich history of misdoings) suffered in the draft due to character issues. Tarrell Brown two scraps with the law caused NFL teams to question his Alltel circle of friends. He was projected as a 2nd round pick and went in the 5th round. Cost him serious bling. Romonce Taylor was a character and academic dropout. Last heard his agent had not recieved one phone call from a NFL team. We will see him bouncing off the walls in the Arena Football League.

Over time we may move to your vision of utopic a student athlete. But schools like Rice that travel the road alone in football will be left behind on the field. The 85 scholarship limit gives the other schools a huge advantage. Other sports Rice can compete due to scholarship limitations.

We do agree... it's kind of nice ain't it? Good discussion, and here's to the ever increasing character, athletic success, and academic performance of both schools. It's tough to have these discussions on a message board, wouldn't you say?

I think this is just a sign for alot of things that are fixing to happen in austin...they are loaded dont get me wrong but those 5 star recruits dont like to sit...and Just to let you know I am very anti-longhorn and the fact that I said something nice about them hurts me deeply lol j/k