Celina vs. Mineola (football offseason)

orange80

Originally posted by Broker2205

DirksCrew, talent wise I wouldn't argue with you there. But better than the 96 team? Come on man... like I said, the 96 team made 2 errors in 17 ball games. That is unheard of in high school baseball. A lot of credit has to be given to Coach Lew Prestidge for that one. But I'm guessing you never heard of Lew?

Thats a very good stat but I dont think they had the pitching of a Adams and Martin. I believe they were obviously more sound defensively then this years team but not sure about hitting. Mineola struggled in the Celina series but for the most part all year they stroked the ball from the top of the line up to the bottom. Once you are into the top 16 teams then most of them teams are capable of winning a state champioship. Ithink several people would argue that Carthage and Mineola could have won a state title but sometimes it just doesnt work out that way.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirks, in 96 Mineola had Boker, Baker, Worley, and Elmore in their rotation. That's just as good as Adams, Martin, Mize, and Watkins. Not to mention Elmore was a soft left hander that threw everything out of whack for the opposition. Hitting in the three or four hole they had Randy Tennyson who was UNBELIEVABLE. Cars on the loop behind the ballpark had to beware when this kid swung the stick, not to mention Brian Hoffer who could swing it as well. But thinking back to the 99 team as well, there staff was just as good, Newland, Mize, Castleberry, James, Moore. That 99 team was pretty unbelievable as well. I agree with you though Dirks, Mineola or Carthage both could have won state championships this year.

You guys need to quit whining. I work out at a facility in Arlington. When teams are in town to play the Rangers, they are in here lifting hard on game days(but what do they know?) If you lift early enough, your muscles should have plenty of recovery time(Anybody who knows anything about pitching will tell you it's all in the legs anyway). My hometown boys lift twice a day in the last year and their team batting average is up by over 100 points from last year. Coincidence? I don't think so.

bearcrawl, you stop throwing in real life facts against everyone's wives tales. You cant go swimming until 45 min. after you eat and you cant lift weights on gameday. The Rangers probably insist upon the opposing team working out before they play them...so they can crush them.

First off to my favorite posters on this great board: Orange 80 and Dirkscrew..................Orange 80 you are a bigger dope than what I thought you were saying that weights helped these two very good baseball teams. The last time i checked baseball is a skill sport which means who actually have to be an athlete to play it. So what if a kid from Celina can bench or powerclean a washing machine, can they hit opposite filed and can they field a ground ball? Mineola had a fantastic season and I can tell you that the AD's weight program was not the cause of it. They have unbelievable BASEBALL talent. the on ly kid I ever heard about in any other sports was Ray Martin. If the AD would like to take credit for the baseball season he can go right ahead, but everybody knows that these kids have been swingin a bat since they were in diapers.

Now Dirk, the 96 team would have outplayed, outhustled, outsmarted, outclassed, and for sure outcoached this 2007 team. In a one game series Russell Bowker would have had about 15 ks and not taking anything away from Chase Adams but let's just say it would have been bp for that lineup in 96.

Dwight Thomas built it, Lew Prestidge carried it, Hayland Hardy re-loaded it, and nothing against Bill Self or Ron Ihler but they have simply managed it. That my friends is Mineola baseball!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a break my ole buddy natureboy. Well I am sure if those guys from 96 would have hit Adams like it was BP then they would have walked a way with a state title easily. They would have been lucky to get 3 runs off the kid if any. And if they did get 3 then 2 or all of them would have been unearned just like most of the runs scored off him were. 15 K's possibly if the Bowker was unbelievable and if they hit like they did verse Celina. But if they hit like they the did the rest of the year then it might have been BP for them. But thats just my perspective. We will never know either way. I just dont see high school team hitting Martin and Adams like BP.

Originally posted by TheNatureBoy16times

First off to my favorite posters on this great board: Orange 80 and Dirkscrew..................Orange 80 you are a bigger dope than what I thought you were saying that weights helped these two very good baseball teams. The last time i checked baseball is a skill sport which means who actually have to be an athlete to play it. So what if a kid from Celina can bench or powerclean a washing machine, can they hit opposite filed and can they field a ground ball? Mineola had a fantastic season and I can tell you that the AD's weight program was not the cause of it. They have unbelievable BASEBALL talent. the on ly kid I ever heard about in any other sports was Ray Martin. If the AD would like to take credit for the baseball season he can go right ahead, but everybody knows that these kids have been swingin a bat since they were in diapers.

Now Dirk, the 96 team would have outplayed, outhustled, outsmarted, outclassed, and for sure outcoached this 2007 team. In a one game series Russell Bowker would have had about 15 ks and not taking anything away from Chase Adams but let's just say it would have been bp for that lineup in 96.

Dwight Thomas built it, Lew Prestidge carried it, Hayland Hardy re-loaded it, and nothing against Bill Self or Ron Ihler but they have simply managed it. That my friends is Mineola baseball!!!!!!!!!!

Celina may not be able to hit opposite field or field a ground ball but they can beat Mineola with all of their BASEBALL talent! Nothing like some hard working, weight lifting, no-baseball talent football players bringing out the brooms to sweep Mineola with all of their glorious BASEBALL talent. Weights improve all athletes- heck Tiger Woods benches over 300 lbs and it does not seem to make him to tight to swing a golf club.

Originally posted by chiphilton

NatureBoy has a point. It is obvious baseball players are not concerned with getting stronger to help their game...hence the lack of steriods in the sport on the pro level. :hmmm:

Great point chip. If strength made you a better baseball player steroids would have crept into MLB years ago. There would be guys on every team that looked like NFL linebackers and the home run totals would be out of this world. Don't think anyone will ever hit 700 homeruns again, much less make a run at Hank. That Griffey kid has a shot if he can stay health.:thumbsup:

First of all Dirkscrew I don't care who tries to call me out........ I'm still going to call it as I see it.....But it was embarrassing to see an AD have to get on Smoaky.com to defend his program...shouldn't he be doing that in the weight room while he is making the world bigger faster and stronger :rofl::rofl::rofl:hahahaha......Now you can't even compare the '96 team to the present day team...as I stated earlier....this years team was no where near that team.....bottom line.....just look at the records and how deep the '96 team got....that is all you need to look at....You can sit on here and say well if they wouldn't have given up unearned runs or if they would have hit good or if their coach had any kind of an idea about the game.....well that is what losers say....and winner would be on here to congratulate Celina...and then that player would be right back in the tunnel, right back taking fly balls/ground balls, blocking balls in the dirt,etc. today...knowing that they have to get better....that is exactly what the '96 team did after the '95 season....

There is no doubt that weights help in baseball....but to get the most out of it you need to lift using a baseball program.....Weights are needed in every sport....but this goes back to the offseason workouts......every sport should have their own weight lifting during their season.....then everyone does the same workout if they are not playing a sport at the time (offseason workout)....is this not what makes sense????

ok just curious.....but if you are lifting off-season during a lets say 1 hr. athletic period, with about 60 kids,just how much lifting is really going on...you would only have time to do about 4 sets of the 4 basic lifts. yes a person will get stronger with that lifting but that is not going to turn out huge kids that would lose that much if any flexibility....in order to obtain drastic results that would even hamper a kid from playing you would need a workout that last longer and more rigorous that went further then the 4 basic lifts....plus if a kid is pitching latter in the evening and he thinks that lifting heavy would hamper his performance, do you really believe that he is lifting heavy and not cheating on his reps? or is he just going thru the motions...Just think about it......and remember we are talking about teenagers that will usually use every shortcut they can, and thats all of them not just the ones that are playing baseball.

• 2 months later...

:happy65: :coolball: :notworthy: I think that the hayseed they have now for HB would not make a very good AD!!! But, HB/AD does make sense!!!

I agree, Mineola should move to having a baseball/ad. Only makes sense to me. It's the only thing they are good at.