Mandatory random STEROID testing for HS Players

Jackstrap

This bill just past yesterday. Thousands of kids in Texas Highschools will be tested at random for Steroids. Will this affect anyone in your area? I don't know anyone who is using Steroids; however, I am sure there are some out there. What do yall Football Coaches and PHDs think of this bill and its consequences?

Let's hear from all size schools.

Thank God I graduated before this was implemented....

J/K

I think this was a long time coming and is needed, on the other hand, who is covering the expense of this test?

Testing for Marijuana use is relatively cheap compared to a steroid test.

It's a joke. No way they can afford to test enough kids for it to have a great affect. The only good I see from it is it gives kids an out when pressured to use them. At some point, parents have to be involved enough in their kids lives to handle this type of stuff. A kids bedroom is still a parents property. Go in and see what's going on in there from time to time. Just my opinion though.

You're right, Exbobcat! You'd be surprised at how many parents probably encourage their children to use them! I'd rather see money used for something positive and tangible, rather than being thrown away on something parents should be controlling themselves. If today's parents would feed their kids right, let them build a little muscle from outside chores and keep out of front of the game station or TV, they probably would have all the muscles they'd need to be competitive and we wouldn't have to worry about steroids.

You're right, Exbobcat! You'd be surprised at how many parents probably encourage their children to use them! I'd rather see money used for something positive and tangible, rather than being thrown away on something parents should be controlling themselves. If today's parents would feed their kids right, let them build a little muscle from outside chores and keep out of front of the game station or TV, they probably would have all the muscles they'd need to be competitive and we wouldn't have to worry about steroids.

Originally posted by Foreverfan

exactly!...i have known about a few kids who were using steroids and their parents either helped them obtain them or looked the other way, all for the purpose of what?...a chance (remote) at an athletic scholarship or career?...raising healthy children to be independent, responsible, happy adults is the hardest job there is...it just all depends on what the parent's goals are...

Get your heads out of the sand. Kids everywhere use them and it is dangerous. If you are such a loser that you have to cheat to get bigger, faster, or stronger then don't play. Yes the parents do need to step up, but the coaches also need to step up. Please tell me the coaches won't have a say in who gets tested, if they do this is a joke! It's not the just the suburban rich kids who use steroids, it's kids from small country 1a schools to big 5a schools. I know you don't think Bubba is doing it, but don't be surprised if he is.

Because I can promise you that if the Coaches I know where in charge of the testing, it was be as much or more honest than anyone else could do. For you to state otherwise tells me you are an idiot. Sorry, I call it like I see it.

Originally posted by bordertown

The orginal bill had the schools submitting the names of all their athletes to the UIL and the UIL picking the students and the testing facilities.

There was discussion about drug testing only those entering the playoffs, but if given notice, kids will come off of drugs in time where it will not be traced in their system. It should be random throughout the season and the percentages tested should be 10%.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

I'm all for random testing, if it is fair and unbiased. But this seems to be a feel-good bill. 2% is too low of a percentage to keep those who are using from continuing to do so. I'm with Longhorn Fan. That number needs to be at least 10%.

I am writing a letter to Eltife and a few others I know and see if they will tell me what percentages were originally established and why the reduction. I DO KNOW that money was a huge factor in this due to the cost per test. But I look at it this way....if the Governor is going to make immunizations for girls mandatory for that other disease, then there should be no problem in getting this bill passed with a much higher percentage than 2%. At that rate, why bother.

What about coaches who help the kids get steroids. Huh, Exbobcat. Oh, i forgot you live in a world where all coaches are honest and just plain ole good ole boys. Please let me know where you coach I wouldn't want my kids around a coach llike you. Sounds like you are full of rage, wait! isn't that a sign of steroid abuse? HUH?:unsure::unsure:

They aren't being accused if they are tested... students have a right to refuse the test although it would most likely result in suspension from athletics until a test is passed... i understand money is an issue with this but if it wasn't why not test every athlete... that way you don't miss a single abuser? just my opinion but when dealing with an issue this important to health and lives of athletes shouldn't any expense possible be spared for the better of the child? 3% is not near enough of a percentage to stop the kids who are already using to stop because they have a 97% chance of not being caught.

If we test every player, the price should go DOWN...Simple Economics. We require parents to pay for a phisical exam before playing sports. That is a JOKE. ANY coach who allows steroid use by players in HS should be FIRED. If you want to JUICE UP something, get a hotrod car.

That's RIGHT....I think ALL Players should be Tested.

Even if they are only testing a small amount then at least maybe some kids will be afraid to use them because of the chance to get caught and go through the embarrasment of failing. Just the chance to be tested will greatly influence kids choices on the matter.