GRAPELAND-CARLISLE

jojo18_6

the game shoulda been over in the 7th but the Sandies held back and took a breather and underestimated that they would come back and tie the game or else the Sandies would of blew em out second of all the game was a fluke the end of the inning shoulda been over b4 the guy who hit the winning run stepped in the batters box but if it woulda been a 3 game series we all know who woulda came out goin to the next round against Lovelady it woulda been the county rivalry

Grapeland and Lovelady and i dont think Lovelady would be able to pull off another scratch by victory against Grapeland not with them playin the kind of baseball they are able to play

Lovelady is gonna blow Carlisle out the water

Your crazy! Where exactly did they hold back? I didn't see a change in batting order or a change in the defense. Grapeland didn't even change pitchers. Are you trying to say Grapeland made a conscious effort to not hit the ball or not to play defense? Give me a break. Carlisle changed pitchers and Grapeland could not hit the ball as well as they did with the first pitcher. Grapeland came out with hot bats and it showed on the score board. Carlisle came out and the bats were cold, but heated up later. Who underestimates the #3 ranked team in 1a? Go ask the Grapeland coaching staff if they "held back", I bet you won't like their answer. Cry and whine all you want but Carlisle earned that win, Grapeland didn't give Carlisle anything but a dang good game.

Grapeland should have scored in the top of the seventh. They had a lead off triple and did not score. Q. Wedel struck out the next three batters.

Props to Grapeland in the bottom of the second. Carlisle had the bases loaded with no outs and did not score.

Carlisle had a call for a gut check and they answered the call.

Carlisle made mistakes (errors) early and Grapland made them late. Overall a well balanced game between two good teams.

As a sportswriter, I cover many games on a weekly basis and I was at the Carlisle-Grapeland game...both days.

That game was one of the best I've seen in my four years of working at the newspaper office and in my many, many years of watching baseball.

Those two teams gave us something that most MLB teams would be jealous of.

If Grapeland "quit" they didn't show it in the last inning. That was a great job of Quinlan pitching around that leadoff triple and a TREMENDOUS play by the third baseman to end the inning. That ball was very high, the wind was blowing and he made a DIVING catch to end the inning.

If Grapeland "overestimated" Carlise, they sure didn't show it in the first two innings when they scored four runs. Again, the Wedel kid did an oustanding job against a great hitting team.

From 1-5 I don't know of any team around that hits the ball better. Grapeland made mistakes in the later innings and even threw away a pickoff attempt that eventually led to the game-tying run.

That was a great game between two great teams.