greatest ever- '83 d'field vs. '80 pitt.

stevosev7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RRHoochieKoo

No one, they'd still be trying to score.

If I had to pick one though I'd give the edge to Daingerfield.

Whoever doesnt say dfield doesnt know much. I saw both teams play and dfield is easily better then the pittsburg team. I dissagree with the 03 rabbits being compared to 83 tigers, I personally dont think the rabbits were close to dfield, i saw them and they were good but nothing awesome, just tons of SPEEEEEEED. I probably wont see another great team like the 83 tigers in my lifetime, they were very special. All those records didnt write themselves in the record book, and they still stand today.

Also found this posted somewhere else, it saves me alot of typing time so ill paste it..lol

In regards to the '83 (3-A) Daingerfield team, 16-0 with 14 shutouts doesn't tell the whole story. Their defense was never scored on.

Daingerfield 35 Kilgore 2 (4-A Kilgore secured a safety against Daingerfield's offense)

Daingerfield 14 Gilmer 0 (6-4 3-A team)

Daingerfield 10 Carthage 6 (4-A State Semifinalist Carthage (11-3 record) intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown. Extra point no good)

Daingerfield 27 Linden-Kildare 0 (Linden-Kildare 7-3-1 3-A playoff team)

Daingerfield 42 Omaha Paul Pewitt 0 (Paul Pewitt finished 3-7 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 32 Hughes Springs 0 (Hughes Springs 3-7 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 76 Queen City 0 (Queen City 0-10 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 48 DeKalb 0 (DeKalb 6-4 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 45 Hooks 0 (Hooks 5-5 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 56 New Boston 0 (New Boston 6-4 in 3-A)

The Playoffs

Bi-District: Daingerfield 43 Clarksville 0 (Clarksville 4-7)

Area: Daingerfield 22 Robinson 0 (Robinson 11-1)

Regional: Daingerfield 46 Kaufman 0 (Kaufman 12-1)

Quarterfinal: Daingerfield 51 Gladewater 0 (Gladewater 12-2)

Semifinal: Daingerfield 42 Post 0 (Post 13-2)

State Championship: Daingerfield 42 Sweeny 0 (Sweeny 12-2-2)

In 16 games that season, Daingerfield allowed 356 rushing yards (22.2 ypg.), 681 passing yards (42.5 ypg.) and 1,037 total yards (64.8 ypg.). The defense scored 72 points, intercepted 38 passes and recovered 26 fumbles.

Speaks for itself really.. Amazing

some other records....they were the first team to complete a perfect 16-0 season...won every coin toss in the playoffs...and held the record for largest margin of victory in a state game 42-0 for 22 years. (highland park broke it with a 59-0 win over marshall)

Statistically speaking the 83 Daingerfield team's defense was the best. There have been a few 5A and 4A teams that would have beaten that Daingerfield team. The Atlanta team in 2003 was similar to Daingerfield. I believe that Atlanta team played a tougher schedule. The 1999 L-E team was much better offensively, but did not have that great defense. 22 players from that L-E team went on to play college ball, 7 were Division I. They were quite talented. You do have bigger, stronger teams today, but I agree that Daingerfield team is legendary and always will be.

daingerfield....and it's not close. i saw both pitt and dfield play. like the post above states, the tiger defense didn't even give up a point. the 03 atlanta team got hot after curtis burns was incorporated into the gameplan more and had a good run, but really an average team at best for about half the season.

best football team out of texas period. 8 POINTS ALLOWED IN 2 GAMES5 OR SO PLAYERS FROM THAT TEAM WENT TO THE NFL. Oh, you has been hitting the bong 1 too many times and said pitt would win.

Oh, I was at the Kilgore game. Dfield gave them the 2 points as qb walked out of the endzone to avoid blocked punt/ and or good field position.

Southlake carrol couldnt hold a flag too these guys.

The only team that might've come close to scoring on them would be the 84 daingerfield tigers

You should of had to play for Daingerfield right after them. I graduated in 89 and only lost 4 games all of my high school career. People thought we were the worst team in history when my Jr. year we went 9-2-1. Tied Henderson(4A) to mess up the 55 regular season wins in a row, next week lost to Carthage (4A) with a missed field goal, then lost to L-K in the area round.

Originally posted by kevnasty

Oh, I was at the Kilgore game. Dfield gave them the 2 points as qb walked out of the endzone to avoid blocked punt/ and or good field position.

I was on the punt return team and it was a bad snap that he had to take out of the endzone.

Originally posted by EtFbfan

Whoever doesnt say dfield doesnt know much. I saw both teams play and dfield is easily better then the pittsburg team. I dissagree with the 03 rabbits being compared to 83 tigers, I personally dont think the rabbits were close to dfield, i saw them and they were good but nothing awesome, just tons of SPEEEEEEED. I probably wont see another great team like the 83 tigers in my lifetime, they were very special. All those records didnt write themselves in the record book, and they still stand today.

Also found this posted somewhere else, it saves me alot of typing time so ill paste it..lol

In regards to the '83 (3-A) Daingerfield team, 16-0 with 14 shutouts doesn't tell the whole story. Their defense was never scored on.

Daingerfield 35 Kilgore 2 (4-A Kilgore secured a safety against Daingerfield's offense)

Daingerfield 14 Gilmer 0 (6-4 3-A team)

Daingerfield 10 Carthage 6 (4-A State Semifinalist Carthage (11-3 record) intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown. Extra point no good)

Daingerfield 27 Linden-Kildare 0 (Linden-Kildare 7-3-1 3-A playoff team)

Daingerfield 42 Omaha Paul Pewitt 0 (Paul Pewitt finished 3-7 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 32 Hughes Springs 0 (Hughes Springs 3-7 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 76 Queen City 0 (Queen City 0-10 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 48 DeKalb 0 (DeKalb 6-4 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 45 Hooks 0 (Hooks 5-5 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 56 New Boston 0 (New Boston 6-4 in 3-A)

The Playoffs

Bi-District: Daingerfield 43 Clarksville 0 (Clarksville 4-7)

Area: Daingerfield 22 Robinson 0 (Robinson 11-1)

Regional: Daingerfield 46 Kaufman 0 (Kaufman 12-1)

Quarterfinal: Daingerfield 51 Gladewater 0 (Gladewater 12-2)

Semifinal: Daingerfield 42 Post 0 (Post 13-2)

State Championship: Daingerfield 42 Sweeny 0 (Sweeny 12-2-2)

In 16 games that season, Daingerfield allowed 356 rushing yards (22.2 ypg.), 681 passing yards (42.5 ypg.) and 1,037 total yards (64.8 ypg.). The defense scored 72 points, intercepted 38 passes and recovered 26 fumbles.

Speaks for itself really.. Amazing

WOW!!!!! 14 shutouts in 16 games along with everything else!

List of standout players (Daingerfield):

David Whitmore, DB, Giants, 49ers, Chiefs, Eagles

David Mims, WR, Falcons

Thomas Everett, S, Steelers, Cowboys, Bucs

Eddie White, RB, Broncos

Eric Everett, DB, Eagles, Bucs, Chiefs, Vikings

Gregg Evans, WR, Bills, Redskins

Eric Turner, DB, Dolphins

Gary Lewis, LB, Packers

Rodney Lewis, Patriots

Lonnie Moore, Dolphins

John Rodgers, TE, Steelers

Art Moore, DT, Patriots

Darryl Lewis, TE, Browns

Steve Stutsman, Baylor

The most amazing stat of all though? The 41.7 percent unemployment rate in the town/county that fed DHS. The more than 3,000 employees of Lone Star Steel Co. who lost their jobs. And no one can even begin to estimate the number of people indirectly affected.

How they kept it all together is anyone's guess. Amazing.

No D'field won in 83, lost finals in 84, & won again in 85. Also the list in the previous comment includes all players who played in the nfl not just the 83 team. Eric Everett & David whitmore were on the 83 team.