greatest ever- '83 d'field vs. '80 pitt.

stevosev7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the 83 championship game against Sweeny. It was bad lopsided obviously. What I remember most was very late in the game Sweeny lined up to kick a field goal I suppose to be the only team all year to score offensive points on Daingerfield. The Daingerfield coaches called time out and got their kids fired up. When play rersumed, the whole Daingerfield team smothered the holder with the ball and the kicker didn't have a chance. It was scary!

There offense was pretty dang impressive that year too!

gamedog

I was also on the punt return team in '83 returning punts. It was a bad snap into the end zone and the punter was forced to go out of the end zone. The Daingerfield team of '83 was the best high school football team to come out of East Texas period. gamedog, u2u to me, I would like to know who you are so we can talk about other memories, like Coach Cameron.

Both were great teams. It used to be fun in 83 to go to playoff games and find people who were just there to watch the game and not to familiar with Daingerfield. Strike up a conversation and tell them you would take Daingerfield and give them 20 points,They would jump on it. Easy money.

how many texas teams1a-5a can say that in 16 games their defense only allowed 23 yard of total offense per game? 1 dfield How many texas 1a-5a teams can say they only allowed 1 touchdown in 16 games? 1 dfield How many texas teams 1a-5a can say they posted 12 consecitive shutouts and 14 shutouts in one 16 game season? 1 dfield How many teams have ever gone into a state championship being a 48 point favorite?1 dfield ( 17 in 84 and 31.5 fav in 85) DANG RIGHT 83 tigers best team in texas EVER.

Originally posted by leopard

Statistically speaking the 83 Daingerfield team's defense was the best. There have been a few 5A and 4A teams that would have beaten that Daingerfield team. The Atlanta team in 2003 was similar to Daingerfield. I believe that Atlanta team played a tougher schedule. The 1999 L-E team was much better offensively, but did not have that great defense. 22 players from that L-E team went on to play college ball, 7 were Division I. They were quite talented. You do have bigger, stronger teams today, but I agree that Daingerfield team is legendary and always will be.

wow, 7 went on to play D-1, who were they and what school did they go to?????????????????????

• 3 weeks later...
best football team out of texas period. 8 POINTS ALLOWED IN 2 GAMES5 OR SO PLAYERS FROM THAT TEAM WENT TO THE NFL. Oh, you has been hitting the bong 1 too many times and said pitt would win.

Oh, I was at the Kilgore game. Dfield gave them the 2 points as qb walked out of the endzone to avoid blocked punt/ and or good field position.

Southlake carrol couldnt hold a flag too these guys.

The only team that might've come close to scoring on them would be the 84 daingerfield tigers

I'll agree with most of what you say, but your last statement is off the mark. Nothing against the 84 Tigers, but I saw both teams and there is no way the 84 Tigers would have scored on the 83 team.

dfield by 30

at least.

the atlanta team of 03 would not have done much at all against that defense. the rabbs were one dimensional that year and that tiger defense would've focused on burns and then punished burns. no passing game at all that year for the rabbs would've meant 9 or 10 in the box for dfield and that would've been really bad for atl.

L-E only had 0 div 1. junior colleges (5) and (2) christian universities thats div 3 and private

Both quarterbacks went to Div I schools. Brandon Jones ended up at oklahoma. There were seven players on the 1999 L-E championship team that started in DI. 22 of 38 on the roster played some kind of college football.

how many texas teams1a-5a can say that in 16 games their defense only allowed 23 yard of total offense per game? 1 dfield How many texas 1a-5a teams can say they only allowed 1 touchdown in 16 games? 1 dfield How many texas teams 1a-5a can say they posted 12 consecitive shutouts and 14 shutouts in one 16 game season? 1 dfield How many teams have ever gone into a state championship being a 48 point favorite?1 dfield ( 17 in 84 and 31.5 fav in 85) DANG RIGHT 83 tigers best team in texas EVER.

statistically do you think there was/is a team in the nation that can compare to the '83 daingerfield team? because none come to mind at all...

Average pts allowed per game

1. 1983 Daingerfield (16-0-0) 0.50!!

2. 1980 Pittsburg (15-0-0) 1.53

3. 1962 Jacksboro (15-0-0) 2.80

4. 1966 Sweeny (14-0-0) 3.29

5. 1964 Palacios (14-0-0) 4.64

6. 1973 Friendswood (15-0-0) 4.67

7. 1988 Southlake Carroll (16-0-0) 4.94

8. 1970 Refugio (14-0-1) 5.00

9. 1979 Van (14-0-1) 5.07

10. 1982 Refugio (15-1-0) 5.38

ok looks like some people from gilmer have been voting for pitt

No one had said anything about Gilmer, why did you have to open your SA trap?

By the way , I would say D'field would win.... I would like to see that defense against the 2004 Gilmer offense.

No one had said anything about Gilmer, why did you have to open your SA trap?

By the way , I would say D'field would win.... I would like to see that defense against the 2004 Gilmer offense.

well i think it would be the same dfield would hold them to 5 yards offense and the dfield defense would have a field day. keep in mind the 2004 gilmer offense was carried by a quarterback. the 83 tiger team didnt need to be carried.

and as far as comparing the two, gilmer doesnt even belong in the same sentence.

That 2004 Gilmer team was "carried" by a quaterback who threw to 2 D1 reciever (Hollis and Bowser). I did not say they would beat the defense , just I would like to see how it turned out

lol get off your drugs man, 04 gilmer defense was giving up like 40+ points a game, i went to almost all gilmer playoff games that year and it was just who could score the most, rarly a 4th down. That championship game had like over 100 combined points scored in it. Thats why iv never really ever figured out why they call it the blackflag defense when they give up 40+ points almost every game. Hasnt been a gilmer team yet that could give the 83 dfield problems, probably not even a gilmer team that could give fits to the 83,84, or 85 dfield team imo. Not disrespecting gilmer, cus they are finally have some great success but it will be awhile till you can compare yourself to the best team in texas football.

lol get off your drugs man, 04 gilmer defense was giving up like 40+ points a game, i went to almost all gilmer playoff games that year and it was just who could score the most, rarly a 4th down. That championship game had like over 100 combined points scored in it. Thats why iv never really ever figured out why they call it the blackflag defense when they give up 40+ points almost every game. Hasnt been a gilmer team yet that could give the 83 dfield problems, probably not even a gilmer team that could give fits to the 83,84, or 85 dfield team imo. Not disrespecting gilmer, cus they are finally have some great success but it will be awhile till you can compare yourself to the best team in texas football.

I never said a game , just would like to see that offense against that defense, would you people read before posting (And for the record , that defense was # 1 in the sate, and allowed 222 points which would be 13.9 points per game.)

Again , I will repeat , it would be cool to see that offense against the D'field 83 defense , because offenses today are not the same as they were in '83. You rarely saw a HS team throw 12 times a game in that era. That being said , the 83 D'field defnse was the best HS defense I have ever seen.

No defense will be anywhere near as dominant as the defenses of the 80's because offenses are so much better now. Look at the offensive records of the 80's compared to the records of the 2000's. The question would be were the defenses in the 80's really that great or were the offenses just simple? I will guarantee that I would have much rather been a defensive coordinator in the 80's than in the 2000's. I would also venture to say that the 06 Gilmer team may not have beaten the 83 Daingerfield but they would have scored at least twice. How many of those teams that Daingerfield played were really proficient in the passing game? Not knocking them because there is no doubt they were the most dominant team in modern football history, but some of you guys need to wake up and see how much the game has changed.

Daingerfield had the athletes on the '83 to play any type of defense. It just so happened that during that era the offense relied more on running than on passing. Remember, the guys (Everett, et al) that went to the NFL during Daingerfield's dominance played defensive backs in the pros. So, no doubt they could have dominated against the pass if they needed to. Also, these studs on the defensive side of the ball for D'Field were also on the offensive side. No one seemed to stop their offense either. Daingefield wins.

the 83 dfield defense would be just as awsome in today's game. they had cover guys out the yazoo and lbs/safeties that could run with anyone. as far as more complex offenses these days, who knows. atlanta won state in 03 with the most basic offense i've ever seen before and absolutely no passing game.