greatest ever- '83 d'field vs. '80 pitt.

stevosev7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a young assistant coach at Daingerfield back during the 80's and the thing I remember about the '83 team was their intensity. I mean, practices were like games. Although that defense has such great God-given talent and ability, Coach Alexander and def. co-ordinator Jackie Mayfield really stressed fundamentals and technique, doing the little things right. And they were well prepared.

Looking at our stat sheet from that year that was kept by sec. coach Mike Walsh the defense scored 66 points with 7 interceptions returned for TD's.

If I remember correctly didn't the offense give up those 8 points, a safety and interception return? So that means the defense gave up 0 points.

And I think that only 2 players went Div. I-A, safety Eric Everett to Texas Tech and CB Mark Austin to Kansas State. The other safety, Johnnie Hendrix and CB Rodney Mims went to SFA. Several others went ot smaller, out of state schools or juco's.

The offense averaged 321 yards a game out of the "I" formation, Gene Rowe had 1,344 yds and Tony Evans had 1,496. David Whitmore and Danny Mitchell, an assistant at Tatum, combined for another 1,000 yds.

And a relatively young coaching staff, 8 of the 10 coaches on staff were in their 20's or 30's.

Back to the topic of this post, yep the '83 team was the best ever.

For the last time will people stop trying to compare other teams to the 83 Tigers, no team can compare. Atlants's 03 or Gilmer's 04 or Kilgore's 04 can compare. We also won state in Track the same year, 3:16.18, Eric Everett ran 13.7, and 23'7 in Long Jump,Carlton Walker ran 14., Mark Austin and Johnny Hendrix ran 38 in 300 hurdles. The Secondary Eric Everett, Texas Tech and 5 years in the NFL, Johnny Hendrix and Rodney Mims, SFA, Mark Austin (Biship College and Kansas State). Fact 10 Defensive starters were seniors 1 junior( Robert Smith) Offense 10 Juniors 1 senior QB Doug Pittman, no one went both ways. The record is 14 shutouts, 13 in a row

Eric Everett - Texas Tech

Mark Austin - Bishop College- Kansas State

Johnny Hendrix- SFA

Rodney Mims - SFA

Mark Rowe - Emporia State, Ks

Guy Searcy- Emporia State, Ks

Randy Woods- Bishop College

Victor Edmond- SFA

Offense the next year

Gene Rowe UTA- Emporia State, Ks

Carlton Walker - Tulsa-SFA

Tony Evans - Tulsa

Willie Everett- TJC- Baylor

MIKE McCurdy- TJC

Jeff Morris- TJC

David Whitmore SFA, 9 Years in NFL

Herman West TJC- West Texas State

Enough said, and this topic should never be brought up again, period,

It is funny to listen to everybody talk about the different of the offense today. The thing about that team was if you were trying to pass then you were going to have a hard time getting the ball off. You have to think that they had 11 guys that could play ball. They didnt just have a couple studs. The whole team was good.

It is funny to listen to everybody talk about the different of the offense today. The thing about that team was if you were trying to pass then you were going to have a hard time getting the ball off. You have to think that they had 11 guys that could play ball. They didnt just have a couple studs. The whole team was good.

the qb had better have a short drop and a quick release that's for sure. does someone know how many sacks that dfield team had?

I saw the '83 Tigers. I've never seen any team as dominant as that one at any level. I didn't get to see the '80 Pirates (wish I had though). I saw the Daingerfield / Gilmer game, which was the second game of the season, and remarked to one of my co-workers at halftime that Gilmer would lose that game, but they would lose to the next state champ (I must have been a prophet, huh?). I honestly believe that the Tigers would've won the title in any classification that year. I've heard that the '80 Pirates were on the same level as the '83 Tigers. If this is true, the game would have been won by Daingerfield by a score of 2-0. Both defenses were legendary and we will never see defenses like those again. What a shame! I love defense! :notworthy: