What East Texas players might be taken in the MLB draft

snuffy

Originally posted by Safetyman

Austin Adams from Henderson/TCU.

i think Austin is a potential top-5 round pick...he has all the skills...henderson hasn't had a baseball player drafted since 1994 and he was taken straight out of high school...

i think the fact Austin has stayed in school four years and has a degree shows a great deal of commitment and dedication...not a bad hitter either

Jess Todd from Kilgore has had a tremendous year at Arkansas and could potentially be a top-five round pick. Scouts love his fastball, but I've read that they want more work out of his slider and changeup.

Others who have interest (off the top of my head):

Ray Martin, Mineola

Kendall McClendon, Arp

Jess has been told there is no way he will far further than the bottom of the second round, take that for what its worth.

I dont think there's anyway Adams goes anywhere before the 40th round.

Originally posted by TigerBaseball

Baseball America had him going (pre-draft) at #30 in the first round; wonder why the drop? Also wonder now if he will go on to Texas A&M or go into the minors with the Red Sox organization?

I see him headed to A&M myself, but personally it would be hard to turn down a program like the Red Sox.

Originally posted by gc777

Matt Speake will get drafted again but has already commited to pitch for Texas A&M next year.

if the money is right, it will be hard to turn down. but he will probably end up at a&m. it will take a good size signing bonus to change his mind

If I were Middlebrooks, I think I would go to college...but the fact that he won't be able to come out until after his junior season is a real drawback. A lot can change during that time....just look at the Shepherd kid at Southern. He got drafted twice by the Yankees, but then he was in an accident that kinda derailed his career (judging by the stats).

Originally posted by OldWiseOne

If it's still the same as it was when I played then he can go to a good juco and get drafted after his freshman or sophmore year, then if he still isn't satisfied then go to a 4 yr

You can get drafted from a JUCO after your freshman or sophomore year, but I'm assuming Middlebrooks has already signed with A&M. You can always sign with a higher division, but you can't go down. In other words, if Will has already signed with A&M, his choices are A&M or the minor leagues.

This is why you see a lot of the better players hold off from signing with anything higher than a JUCO until after the draft. A lot of things could happen in 3 years in college. And MLB has the best scholarship program available.