Facial Hair Philosophy?

goodoleagle

Why is this even an issue, unless it's nasty, not well groomed or hiding osama's face who cares?

They're bigger fish to fry in my book.:whistle:

I thought we were talkin about the students facial hair, which I believe should not be allowed. I guess I'm too old fashioned, my high school coach would have never let a player keep long hair or facial hair.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant wait till I can retire and let myself go. I envision myself resembling Jerry Garcia some day. For now it would be an issue with work policy. Rules are rules and they should be followed. I have no problem with a school having facial hair policies. For students or teachers. Follow the rules or pay the price. Simple notion that we as a society are growing further from. The sense of entitlement that is growing more common is silly. Your not entitled to grow facial hair. You are blessed to be employed. If you want facial hair go coach in Montana. :)

Well I tell you what, you guys can spend your time deciding whether or not facial hair is okay or not and I will spend my time surrounding myself with hard working coaches that can coach. Give me coaches who will put in the hours and know X's and O's and I will kick your well shaven behind. :whome::whome:

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Except for the lunchroom lady, why is hair such an issue? Does it affect the quality of play of a student/athlete? No. Does it indicate the character of the person? No. Is hair length and color only an issue with those set in their ways and with those who think their way is the only way? Absolutely.

My son has worn his hair long and short, over his ears, down his neck, and buzzed. And while he has never colored it, and while I may not like that idea, I don't see it as an issue when it comes to his ability to do the job the coach has given him. He was an honor student, top 5% of his class, scholarship recipient, and lettered in four sports, academic all state in three. And not once did his hair hamper his ability to play, make his grades, or diminish his character.

If there had been restrictions on hair length and color, set forth by the school board, he would have been in compliance. But without those restrictions, I don't know what all the hub-bub is about.

It's about maintaining a professional look. Your not going to walk into a job interview with stub all over your face and your hair out of control and ten different colors. This should be a rule in every public high school in Texas. It's simply preparing them for the future. Bleeds, you talk a good conservative game, but obviously your a liberal when it comes to the school system.

bill gates would still be a multi billionaire if he had a beard...facial hair makes no difference one way or the other...if you're good at something, then you're good at it...facial hair is a part of life. saying that only clean shaved men look professional is kinda like blue eyes and blonde hair is the perfect man........didn't your parents ever tell you to be yourself?

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by Broker2205

It's about maintaining a professional look. Your not going to walk into a job interview with stub all over your face and your hair out of control and ten different colors. This should be a rule in every public high school in Texas. It's simply preparing them for the future. Bleeds, you talk a good conservative game, but obviously your a liberal when it comes to the school system.

And it is obvious you fit in the "their way is the only way" catagory.

You could not be anymore wrong about me and the school system. If you really knew me, you would NEVER make that assumption. Ask any of the teachers/principals/superintendents with which I've had conversations concerning our school.

High school sports can hardly be equated or even compared to a job interview. I agree with you however that an applicant should look his most professional when he's making his first impression on a potential employer. But with the thugs being allowed to play NCAA or even pro sports, I hardly think long hair in high school is going to dampen a player's opportunity to advance to the next step.

It would be easy for me to generalize about people who believe everyone should fit into their own "ideal" of how people (students, athletes, whatever) should look, act, etc. Some of the nicest, most polite, most athletic kids I know have hair that is different from mine, which is good since I've got a nice crop circle in mine. But once again, I am open-minded enough to understand it's just hair.

And Broker, so you'll know, I wear my hair short. In fact, I need to get it cut right now. But I don't need someone who doesn't even know me telling me or anyone else that we should fit into your idea of how hair should be cut, based solely on the fact it's your idea.

Funny how you're immediately branded a liberal the second you don't fit into someone else's mould of how they think you should look or act.

It's all about doing the little things right Bleeds. So many people don't want to do those little things anymore. And I guess that's ok, but it's just never going to be ok around me. Fortunately, I don't know you from Adam.

Bleeds is a very liberal thinker and appears to not think that discipline is very important. Also, if the kids want to do it , it's OK. Personally, I never allowed long hair or facial hair to be worn by my players. If they didn't agree with my policy, they were perfectly welcome to go play some other sport.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by oldcoach

It's all about doing the little things right Bleeds. So many people don't want to do those little things anymore. And I guess that's ok, but it's just never going to be ok around me. Fortunately, I don't know you from Adam.

Bleeds is a very liberal thinker and appears to not think that discipline is very important. Also, if the kids want to do it , it's OK. Personally, I never allowed long hair or facial hair to be worn by my players. If they didn't agree with my policy, they were perfectly welcome to go play some other sport.

HAH! What a joke. What a dinosaur. Anyone who knows me knows that I am quite the disciplinarian. Ask my son. But I'm not an overbearing, bitter old man. Ring a bell?

Oldroach, you are ALWAYS so quick to judge and berate others when they don't agree with your narrow-minded way of thinking. Why is that? What gives you the right to say your way is right and others' is wrong? Who died and made you God?

You take the easy out by calling me a liberal. That's your answer for everything. If it doesn't fit into the oldcoach way of thinking, then whoever said it must be a liberal.

Better to have an open mind about things that don't matter than to berate others who aren't old and bitter such as yourself behind the anonymity of a computer screen name.

Better get to the barber shop oldcoach. Your high and tight is getting low and loose.

No doubt why you're no longer a coach.

P.S. If my son had played for a coach who had a hair restriction, he would have complied with the restriction. Why? 'Cause I'm so conservative when it come to rules.

hehehe

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Who knows? You might actually like me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all in favor of doing the little things. As I said, if there is a restriction on hair, then abide we must. I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is assuming since a kid has long hair, he must be a problem or have a problem with discipline. It has been my experience that discipline and hair length have very little in common. I also don't think hair length is a big enough issue to cause a problem over. I mean, it's just hair.

You and I probably see eye to eye on more things than either of us know. But liberal? Come on now. That's too easy. You and I have differing opinions on hair. Is that enough to brand a complete stranger a liberal over? I would hope not.

Bleeds, I 'm sure all of those superintendents/principals, AD's/ etc. would recommend you for sainthood. Athletics is one of the only areas of the school where kids get the discipline they need nowadays. It is important to teach kids to conform to rules and policies because their future employers are going to tell them what to do so they better get used to it. I'm not saying that a short haircut and no facial hair has anything to do with a player's ability. But, I guarantee you their are officials that will give the benefit of a close call to the team with clean-cut players over a bunch that looks like they've never seen the barber or had a bath.

I find this interesting because the very "hairy liberal," Bleeds, enforced a mohawk ban on his son just the other day. Sounds kinda like an ultra right wing non-neoconservative family hair restriction conspiracy to me. :hmmm:

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by oldcoach

Bleeds, I 'm sure all of those superintendents/principals, AD's/ etc. would recommend you for sainthood. Athletics is one of the only areas of the school where kids get the discipline they need nowadays. It is important to teach kids to conform to rules and policies because their future employers are going to tell them what to do so they better get used to it. I'm not saying that a short haircut and no facial hair has anything to do with a player's ability. But, I guarantee you their are officials that will give the benefit of a close call to the team with clean-cut players over a bunch that looks like they've never seen the barber or had a bath.

You're living in an antique, sepia-colored, nostalgic version of reality. You're equating short hair with cleanliness, which is ludicrous.

You speak of rules. You obviously didn't read any of my comments. I said, if there are hair restrictions, then they must be conformed to.

My questions were "Does it affect the quality of play of a student/athlete?" and "Does it indicate the character of the person?" And for that, I'm called a liberal. And now, you're insinuating that officials will cheat for the short-haired player. You need a giant dose of reality, not just your version of it.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
Originally posted by BluePirate

Bleeds, enforced a mohawk ban on his son just the other day.

We're talking about a mohawk. What would you do?

Originally posted by BluePirate

Denver, I'm not sure if she can coach, but she can yell and stare you down as well as any good coach. :thumbsup:

God forbid you ask for an extra helping!

Seriously though in the context of discipline what the players and the coaches are allowed are not on the same plain. I don't have a problem with coaches having nicely groomed facial hair.

We do have restrictions on our athletes though. Our school actually allows students to have long hair and full beards. I don't agree with that. I think students and athletes do their best to be individuals and often being an individual is a distraction and takes away from the learning environment and the team concept (obviously it depends on how extreme the situation is). In the context of building a team we want our athletes to look alike and be held to the same high standard. And while hair may seem like an insignificant issue the goal is to have discipline. I don't care what the athlete thinks of my rules. He will follow them if he wants to play or he'll play somewhere else because I need to know for sure that he will do what I ask, when I ask, period. It's the same concept the military puts into place. When bullets are flying they don't want an analyst they want action based on training. Again it's about discipline.