600 homeruns first .. Sosa or Griffey?

TJC_fan

It was a given a few weeks ago ... the Rangers' Sammy Sosa was a shoe-in to reach 600 home runs first, well before Ken Griffey, Jr. And I guess that it's still a "given".

But Sammy's been stuck on 598 now for it seems like ... forever ... and Griffey's at 578 and coming on.

Just think, two more players this season will climb past that 600 home run plateau (I think that Griffey will make it with at least 37 HR's).

To be fair to Griffey, let's move the bar up to 610. Now who gets there first? A lot better chance for Jr. IF IF IF IF IF .... such a small word word, but ... IF ... all of those missed games due to injury had not occurred, Griffey's sitting near 700 territory now, instead of the 600 territory. SUch a smooth graceful swing .. with a ton of power behind it.

Originally posted by stevosev7

sosa will start hitting more bombs once he gets this whole 600 thing outta the way...i think it's getting in his head...

I think that you've got a good point there. Trying hard to reach a goal that's "within reach" can tighten up an athlete, especially in baseball .. where trying to hit a baseball is one of the most, if not the most difficult things to do in sports.

One thing though, Sosa has been generating an "above average" number of rbi's for the Rangers this season, even with the .248-.250 average.

Originally posted by dub

I think Griffey has the best swing in baseball.

Man, I love that swing of Griffey.

-- Smooth .. with power.

-- Apparent minimum effort, with maximum effect.

-- The ball just leaps off the bat.

-- Uses his entire body with that swing.

I just wish that the injuries had not slowed him down. Of course, the injuries were, for the most part, a result of him running into outfield walls and diving on the outfield warning track and grass ... trying to catch the ball. His "max effort" approach has cost him some career games, and 70-100?? extra home runs.

Originally posted by TJC_fan
Originally posted by dub

I think Griffey has the best swing in baseball.

Man, I love that swing of Griffey.

-- Smooth .. with power.

-- Apparent minimum effort, with maximum effect.

-- The ball just leaps off the bat.

-- Uses his entire body with that swing.

I just wish that the injuries had not slowed him down. Of course, the injuries were, for the most part, a result of him running into outfield walls and diving on the outfield warning track and grass ... trying to catch the ball. His "max effort" approach has cost him some career games, and 70-100?? extra home runs.

Yeah he would've been higher in the list.. I guess bad things happen to good people like him.

Im glad for Sammy. He has done some stupid stuff but seems to be better with the Rangers. I wish he could pitch. Heck at this rate we should call Conseco to pitch. :sleeping:

great night for sammy sosa and for baseball.

also give credit to kam loe who looked like the guy we have hoped he would be these last two games he has pitched.

Slammin' Sammy Sosa quiz: in 1989 Sammy hit one HR as a Ranger, where, and against what pitcher did he hit it off of?

And the Rangers won the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to Sammy on reaching 600 HR's. Now maybe the spotlight and pressure will ease up and Sosa can go back to "regular" baseball. I think that the HR's will pick up a little in frequency now that he's past the 600 barrier.

AND THE RANGERS WON THE GAME!!!!!

the-ticket.jpg

It was a moment I will always remember. It was a little crazy at the ballpark. I didn't get a picture of the swing but I got photos of the trip around the bases and the curtain call. I really figured with my luck it would not happen while I was at the game, but it did. I had chills as I watched Sammy rounding the bases.

Congratulations Sammy !!!! The only thing that would have been sweeter would have been if it were a walk off.

All in all it was a great night. Kam pitched a great ball game, Sammy went deep and the Rangers Won!!

Can somebody just fix Kinsler's defense though?

I Was There for Sammy's 600th Homer

the-ticket.jpg

It was a moment I will always remember. It was a little crazy at the ballpark. I didn't get a picture of the swing but I got photos of the trip around the bases and the curtain call. I really figured with my luck it would not happen while I was at the game, but it did. I had chills as I watched Sammy rounding the bases.

Congratulations Sammy !!!! The only thing that would have been sweeter would have been if it were a walk off.

All in all it was a great night. Kam pitched a great ball game, Sammy went deep and the Rangers Won!!

Can somebody just fix Kinsler's defense though?

I Was There for Sammy's 600th Homer

I was in section 9 in left field (about 15 feet from Soriano's home run ball off the pole). I was hoping that his home run would come to left field, but it was pretty magical to see it.

I've been bitter for over a month because my tickets to the Rangers-Yankees game in early May was rained out and I couldn't see the Yankees for the rest of the season. I guess the consolation I got for that was pretty good.