Former champ Labonte to drive No. 55 at Infineon

panther55dad

CORNELIUS, N.C. -- Michael Waltrip Racing announced Tuesday that two-time Cup Series champion Terry Labonte will step into the No. 55 Toyota for the road course races at Infineon Raceway and Watkins Glen International.

"It's not an easy decision for me to remove myself from the car, but I know it is for the betterment of our whole program," Waltrip said. "I know Terry's experience and road-race savvy will breathe a breath of fresh air into my young NAPA team."

Labonte has had success at road-course tracks, finishing third at Infineon last year and he also has six top-10 finishes at Watkins Glen.

"To put Terry in the car is a reflection of the big picture we are trying to establish with this NAPA Racing team and I know this will be a spark this team needs," Waltrip said.

"I look forward to watching the NAPA team compete and learning more about all the MWR cars from a different perspective, exclusively as an owner."

Waltrip's sponsor supports his decision.

"NAPA appreciates and respects Michael's dedication to move our racing program forward and regain our on-track competitive edge," NAPA president Bob Susor said.

"We thank him for his efforts and dedication to NAPA and welcome the addition of NASCAR champion Terry Labonte to the NAPA family for these road-course events."