All-time Greatest East Texas High School Football Team

Smoaky

2004 Kilgore Bulldogs (16-0)

Defeated Dallas Lincoln 33-27 in double OT returning a blocked FG to win the state championship

The pure overall athletic ability on this team was amazing...

Key Players:

Keith Gilliam RB (almost 3000 yards rushing...was enrolled at Utah State but nowhere now)

Eddie Jones DE (Texas)

Nick Sanders CB (TCU)

Courtney Thomas WR-CB (Baylor track)

Wayne Daniels DE-TE (TCU)

Britt Mitchell TE (Texas)

Michael Huey OL (Texas)

Lon Roberts OL (La. Tech)

Trey Sands SS (Northwestern St.)

Pat McCrory FS (Texas baseball)

Coty Gatewood DT (Sam Houston)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defeated Dallas Lincoln 33-27 in double OT returning a blocked FG to win the state championship

Key Players:

Keith Gilliam RB (almost 3000 yards rushing...was enrolled at Utah State but nowhere now) (Dave Campbell's 4A POY)

Eddie Jones DE (Texas) (Parade All-American)

Nick Sanders CB (TCU)

Michael Huey OL (Texas)

Key Players:

Keith Gilliam RB (almost 3000 yards rushing...was enrolled at Utah State but nowhere now) (Dave Campbell's 4A POY)

Eddie Jones DE (Texas) (Parade All-American)

Nick Sanders CB (TCU)

Michael Huey OL (Texas)

what happened to gilliam?

Based mostly on teams that I have actually see play or ones I have seen film/video on the 2002 Texas High team would be hard to beat. They were better than the Marshall state championship team, all the Daingerfield teams, the Pittsburg team, the Liberty-Eylau teams, the Kilgore state championship team, the Paris championship team and of course all the teams in smaller classes. I would of like to of seen them play the Earl Campbell J.T. team. The winner of this "contest" would be from Texas High, John Tyler or Lufkin.

I think if it were a tournament like ESPN does for super bowl winners the finals would be 2002 Texas High vs. 2001 Lufkin

ur off ur rocker...texas high got beat by a non playoff mt. pleasant team in district that year. they are the best texas high team ever, but the '83 daingerfield team could have competed at the 4 and 5 A level that year. they hold several national records. they say records are made to be broken...these records are the exception.

i nominate the 1983 daingerfield tigers as the all-time greatest high school football team in the nation...not just east texas or texas. in the nation. no one will ever do what they did, not in a million years.

ur off ur rocker...texas high got beat by a non playoff mt. pleasant team in district that year. they are the best texas high team ever, but the '83 daingerfield team could have competed at the 4 and 5 A level that year. they hold several national records. they say records are made to be broken...these records are the exception.

i nominate the 1983 daingerfield tigers as the all-time greatest high school football team in the nation...not just east texas or texas. in the nation. no one will ever do what they did, not in a million years.

That Daingerfield team was incredible, but I believe Texas High's state championship team could have beat theml. John Tyler, Texas High, Longview and Lufkin all had teams in the 1970s that could have beat the Tigers. I will agree Daingerfield deserves to be the best 3A team, but even there, there were teams that would haven given them a run for their money

The Luckiest Team-State Semi-Finalist- 1963 Hallsville Bobcats 12-1-1

4th Quarter touchdown pass to beat New London 12-7

1st half-ending tackle at goal line to preserve eventual 0-0 tie with White Oak

Won coin-flip with White Oak to win district

Recovered 4th quarter San Augustine fumble in own end zone to preserve 14-8 bi-district win

Mid-air fumble by Jefferson late in 4th quarter returrned for winning touchdown in regional final

Interception returned 100 yards in 4th quarter to seal 19-0 quarterfinal win against Bastrop.

Stars- Lindsay Roberts QB (all-state), James Greer WR (all-state), Mike Buchanan, Stanley Lawrence, Jerry Malone

Only loss was to eventual state Champion George West led by Steve Lane who was later a 3 time All-SWC DB at Baylor

they would have to score in order to beat the '83 daingerfield tigers...0 points allowed by the defense ALLLL YEAR LONG. playoffs included. has there ever been any other team in the history of football ever to never allow a single offensive point in a season? idk i'd have to do some research, but i would put money on it says that the d'field tigers stand alone.

I have to go with:

88 Paris team, Defense wins championship

89 Chapel Hill,

99 Liberty-Eylau,Kids had been playing together since grade school, Too much talent

02 Atlanta team, speed kills

The thing I remember about 88 Paris team was its offensive line. I was working in Denison, which beat Paris early that season by 3 TDs. They met again in the playoffs and Paris won by 3 TDs. The Wildcats' offensive line was simply incredible. Talent-wise I still like the 99 L-E team. They lost to Atlanta early, but they could beat anybody on a given night.

Im sure those 84 Tigers was awesome but at this day and time if you have an offense attack like the two Tatum teams that won state did well....Tatum in my opinion would be to fast for those tigers...NB played tatum in 05 and we thought we had speed but OMG...but we sure put up one hell of a brawl lol

Im sure those 84 Tigers was awesome but at this day and time if you have an offense attack like the two Tatum teams that won state did well....Tatum in my opinion would be to fast for those tigers...NB played tatum in 05 and we thought we had speed but OMG...but we sure put up one hell of a brawl lol

You surely never saw those Tigers. Tatum wouldn't score on them. If they did, they'd still get whipped

What players on the 83-84 tigers went on to play D-1 football AND who did they play to even challenge them..05 tatum would have beat 83 tiger im sure of it...you can set all the records you want but you play someone who would hit back as tatum would have done then you'll start thinking and as soon as that happens there goes lennon for a 50 yard td scamper or that moore kid right by you on a kick return...Oh and im sure '99 LE would have beat them too.

What players on the 83-84 tigers went on to play D-1 football AND who did they play to even challenge them..05 tatum would have beat 83 tiger im sure of it...you can set all the records you want but you play someone who would hit back as tatum would have done then you'll start thinking and as soon as that happens there goes lennon for a 50 yard td scamper or that moore kid right by you on a kick return...Oh and im sure '99 LE would have beat them too.

tatum had two losses this past season, so i'm not sure they would fully qualify.

if anyone could please find a schedual for this guy it would be much appreciated. they beat 4A playoff teams including kilgore. and to ask who did they play is rediculous in the first place since they won state!!! which means they played all 6 rounds of the playoffs...and i'm not sure if you know this or not, but after a round or two, the teams get pretty darn good :coolio: i do not think there is a 3A team now or ever that could beat them

The thing I remember about 88 Paris team was its offensive line. I was working in Denison, which beat Paris early that season by 3 TDs. They met again in the playoffs and Paris won by 3 TDs. The Wildcats' offensive line was simply incredible. Talent-wise I still like the 99 L-E team. They lost to Atlanta early, but they could beat anybody on a given night.

Just to elaborate on your point leopard, Denison beat us 16-2 in the frist game of the year then we beat them 30-17 in the state quarterfinals. Paris had a great team that year and thats exactly what they were, a team. They didn't have any D-1 players but they played as well together as any team I have ever seen.

tatum had two losses this past season, so i'm not sure they would fully qualify.

if anyone could please find a schedual for this guy it would be much appreciated. they beat 4A playoff teams including kilgore. and to ask who did they play is rediculous in the first place since they won state!!! which means they played all 6 rounds of the playoffs...and i'm not sure if you know this or not, but after a round or two, the teams get pretty darn good :coolio: i do not think there is a 3A team now or ever that could beat them

uhh tatum was undefeated in 2005 in 3a football and i believe they were probably the best team that east texas has seen in a long time!!!

No offense... didn't ya'll at tatum barely squeak by two teams in the playoffs..... 14-13 vs a third place Brownsboro, and less than a td vs hutto.

D'field dominated everyone they played. No comparison!!!!!! Plus Creer turned the ball over waaayyy too much to beat D'field.

Smoaky needs a section in the forums to put the most rediculous posts. I'll nominate this one.

When I read NBLionPride's statement it almost made me mad. "Who did they play?" It did not matter who they played because whoever they played Daingerfield was going to win. It was more than the physical act of beating an opponent, they also had the other teams mentally beat as well. Unfortunately this thread is an opinion only and the actual teams in question cannot actually line up against each other to prove who is the "Best Team Ever". Maybe yet it is a good thing that they are not actually playing because the "old school" Daingerfield Tigers would bring it on and disappoint a lot of the "watch me" teams of today.

Again, Dangerfield wins going away.

83 dfield by far. just cause tatum won 2 state championships doesnt make them great. when you can go a season ( 16 games) only allowing 8 points and posting 14 shutouts and 25 years later still hold 2 national record....THAT MAKES YOU THE BEST TEAM IN FOOTBALL IN TEXAS of all time...period