All-time Greatest East Texas High School Football Team

Smoaky

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoaky needs a section in the forums to put the most rediculous posts. I'll nominate this one.

i'll agree. the 83 dfield team would probably have won state in most classifications that year. i would bet the farm if i had one that they would dominate tatum's and le's championship teams. of course it's all relative.

The 1983 Daingerfield Tigers were a great team, no doubt. The Gilmer Buckeyes came up with the only touchdown scored against them the entire year. All of the Tiger teams of the mid-80s were good, but the 1983 team was in a class by itself.

However, so was the 1975 Big Sandy Wildcat team which scored 824 points and gave up only 15 as it went 14-0-0 on its third trip to the state finals in three years. Over those three years the Wildcats gave up 71 points and was tied once to the team they shared the state championship with. As far as whether they had any D-1 players, NBLionPride, they had an all state linebacker who went to Tulsa named Lovie Smith and a running back for Oklahoma who played for the Dolphins called David Overstreet. Overstreet died in a car wreck after his first year with the Dolphins, but I am sure you recall that Smith coaches the Chicago Bears.

It is hard to say if one of those is greater than the other, but they were both magnificant teams.

The 1983 Daingerfield Tigers were a great team, no doubt. The Gilmer Buckeyes came up with the only touchdown scored against them the entire year. All of the Tiger teams of the mid-80s were good, but the 1983 team was in a class by itself.

However, so was the 1975 Big Sandy Wildcat team which scored 824 points and gave up only 15 as it went 14-0-0 on its third trip to the state finals in three years. Over those three years the Wildcats gave up 71 points and was tied once to the team they shared the state championship with. As far as whether they had any D-1 players, NBLionPride, they had an all state linebacker who went to Tulsa named Lovie Smith and a running back for Oklahoma who played for the Dolphins called David Overstreet. Overstreet died in a car wreck after his first year with the Dolphins, but I am sure you recall that Smith coaches the Chicago Bears.

It is hard to say if one of those is greater than the other, but they were both magnificant teams.

now this i can agree with to a point. big sandy had the more successful players. there is no doubt in my mind that overstreet would have been a great player in the NFL. and smith is obviously a great coach. the only reason i would still go with daingerfield is because of classification. 3A opposed to A. daingerfield played 4A playoff teams. of course big sandy played good teams, but nothing like what daingerfield went up against. Dfield could have beaten SLC that year haha. (if you know anything about SLC in the 80's you'll laugh too)

Gilmer did not score the only TD that year.... it was Carthage. We didn't even play gilmer that year.

Gilmer did not score the only TD that year.... it was Carthage. We didn't even play gilmer that year.

That '83 Daingerfield team did play Gilmer that year, the second game of the season. The score was 14-0. I was there and remarked to one of my co-workers at halftime, with Gilmer behind 7-0, that Daingerfield would be the next state champ. Gilmer had the most yards given up by that defense all year (188 total yards).

As far as the best team of all-time, I think it has to be broken down a little bit further. Overall, that '83 Daingerfield team was the best I've ever seen (PF 631 PA 8), but I never got to see the '73 JT Lions, or the '75 Big Sandy team who outscored their opponents 831-15. I think you could make a statement for either of those teams, especially that Big Sandy team.

That '83 Daingerfield team did play Gilmer that year, the second game of the season. The score was 14-0. I was there and remarked to one of my co-workers at halftime, with Gilmer behind 7-0, that Daingerfield would be the next state champ. Gilmer had the most yards given up by that defense all year (188 total yards).

As far as the best team of all-time, I think it has to be broken down a little bit further. Overall, that '83 Daingerfield team was the best I've ever seen (PF 631 PA 8), but I never got to see the '73 JT Lions, or the '75 Big Sandy team who outscored their opponents 831-15. I think you could make a statement for either of those teams, especially that Big Sandy team.

I stand corrected. Now that you remind me. I believe that was a 6-4 year for ya'll.

Good game, it just skipped my mind because it was sandwiched between kilgore and carthage, who were big time rivals of ours from the old district before we dropped down.

Thanks for setting me straight.

just some info for those people who actually think gilmer and tatum should be classified with these guys:

1983 Daingerfield Tigers

Record: 16-0 (Finished 3rd in National Poll)

Points for: 631 (39.4 avg)

Points against: 8 (0.5 avg)

Shutouts: 14 (National Record)

Notable information: First team in Texas to finish 16-0. Defense scored 76 points and held opponents on average to less than one foot per play. 8 points allowed entire season, 0 points yielded on defense (1 safety, 1 interception returned for TD). Outscored regular season opponents 385-8, playoff opponents 246-0 (5 playoff opponents with 10+ wins). Defensive backfield won 4x400m relay state championship.

1983 game-by-game results

Non-District

Daingerfield 35 Kilgore 2 (4-A Kilgore secured a safety against Daingerfield's offense)

Daingerfield 14 Gilmer 0 (6-4 3-A team)

Daingerfield 10 Carthage 6 (4-A State Semifinalist Carthage (11-3 record) intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown. Extra point no good)

District 14-3A

Daingerfield 27 Linden-Kildare 0 (Linden-Kildare 7-3-1 3-A playoff team)

Daingerfield 42 Omaha Paul Pewitt 0 (Paul Pewitt finished 3-7 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 32 Hughes Springs 0 (Hughes Springs 3-7 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 76 Queen City 0 (Queen City 0-10 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 48 DeKalb 0 (DeKalb 6-4 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 45 Hooks 0 (Hooks 5-5 in 3-A)

Daingerfield 56 New Boston 0 (New Boston 6-4 in 3-A)

Playoffs

Bi-District: Daingerfield 43 Clarksville 0 (Clarksville 4-7)

Area: Daingerfield 22 Robinson 0 (Robinson 11-1)

Regional: Daingerfield 46 Kaufman 0 (Kaufman 12-1)

Quarterfinal: Daingerfield 51 Gladewater 0 (Gladewater 12-2)

Semifinal: Daingerfield 42 Post 0 (Post 13-2)

State Championship: Daingerfield 42 Sweeny 0 (Sweeny 12-2-2)

DAINGERFIELD HIGH SCHOOL

The 1983 Daingerfield football team posted 14 shutouts, including a 42-0 rout of Sweeny in the championship game, to capture the Class 3A title.

DAINGERFIELD - The 1983 Daingerfield state championship team might be the best-known team in Texas high school football history.

The Tigers were the state's first team with a 16-0 record. They were the first to go through the playoffs without allowing a point. They allowed eight points all season and shut out 14 opponents, including 13 consecutive, to set a modern-day national record. Their defense scored 76 points and limited opponents, on average, to less than one foot per play.

I'd have to say 03 Atlanta was a pretty killer team. Calvin Graham is quite possibly the FASTEST human being to ever play in the 3A state championship game (he's currently ranked 7th in the NCAA in the 200m dash!), and studs like Nick Miller and Curtis Burns would burn you in a heartbeat. That team was all about speed. Interestingly, they went 0-5 in the predistrict schedule after playing such foes as Texas High and Kilgore, but opened the district season with a blowout win over Queen City and never looked back. They defeated Marlin 34-0 in the Division II state championship game with Dallas Washington returning TWO punts for touchdowns. This team was the real deal by the end of the year.