• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cussing shows;

A Lack of self control

Poor judgment

A lack of personal responsibility

An ignorance of the English language

Any coach that cusses around or near student athletes should be willing to let the players fire back at the coach with the same four letter words. To do otherwise would be incredibly shallow.

It's been 20 years, since I was in High School. I heard alot more, from my fellow students than I ever heard from any teacher or any parent during those years. Every now and then, it would slip in. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it does slip in from a coach or a teacher, it's just that.

It's like the old quote "Excuses are like "not bellybuttons", everyone has one". Did that bother me, no, but I sure listened. I knew my donkey was grass, and the lawnmower was coming, so I'd better listen. I don't use curse words much, but there are appropriate times to use them.

Let me phrase this in a way that hopefully you will understand, if a person becomes exasperated, or to where they need to use curse words, it means a boundary has been crossed.

If that coach, teacher, parent, or individual has a need to rely on curse words to continually get there point across, it's moot. I don't know of many teachers, coaches, or parents that use curse words in their vocabulary, very often. I'm not going to jump on them, when the kid's are hearing far worse from their own friends or aquaintances. If it get's out of hand, then someone should step in, but to hear a coach or teacher use a vulgarity seldomly, will never bother me.

Coaches are like everyone else, they repeat what they hear. If they played for a cussing coach, they will probably cuss. But if the coach works in a district where lots of parents show up to watch practice, I bet they watch their mouth a bit more.

As for letting the kids fire back in kind, that's a bit silly. That's like saying kids can do whatever the coach does. If the coach yelled a kid, but didn't use cuss words, would they still allow the kid to yell back? I seriously doubt it.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

So many times coaches curse as a means to intimidate. I'm out on "leading" by intimidation. Don't get me wrong, I understand the occasional "H" or "D" or "S" slipping out. That happens. But when a coach directs his cursing at a player, and by using said language berates or demeans that player, espeically in front of other players, he has then jumped the shark.

So many times coaches curse as a means to intimidate. I'm out on "leading" by intimidation. Don't get me wrong, I understand the occasional "H" or "D" or "S" slipping out. That happens. But when a coach directs his cursing at a player, and by using said language berates or demeans that player, espeically in front of other players, he has then jumped the shark.

I'm not going to moan about how someone, uses their vernacular. However, if it's on a continual basis and they don't inspire their subjugates, then the blame is on themselves. There are times, that even berating or demeaning a Star player have their benefits.

All you have to do is look at history, and you'll see, we all need a little chastisement every now and again.

I don't get upset, with a few outbursts by people. They had a bad day, they became upset over nothing, they slept on the wrong side of the bed, someone did something to their corn flakes. Get over it, there isn't any use being bitter over what happened in your day. Just make it better, and forget about it. If you were called out, regardless, do a better job, don't complain about it. Even if you think you did the right thing, reflect on your day.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
I'm not promoting the method by any means, but many of the most successful coaches around are ones who cuss a lot ... and of course there as many or more who are just as successful who don't.

Tony Dungy.

I am not condoning coaches cussing, but that is the way some try to get their message across. It has been 30 years since I played High school football or basketball and back in the day about half cussed and half didn't they both got their point across.

My wife is a school teacher. There are times when she would like to be called an "educator coach" so that she could get away with some of the things that coaches do to get her point across while teaching the children. Not necessarily cussing, but at least be able to yell at her students to help vent some of her frustrations when a kid does not "get it".

the science teacher is not allowed to use bad language in class. the supt. does not use it in interviews. the math teacher is not allowed to call a student a dumb---. so it goes coaches, who are teachers, should not be allowed to use off color language either. it sends the wrong message. i understand in all walks of life the occasional slip. if tht slip is not directed at a player in a direct way then it can be worked on and delt with. however, if any school official is cussing directly at a student/athlete he should be let go. i remember a scrimage from one hs in the area about 5 or 6 years ago a coach called one of his players the p word. i also saw this happen in my hs growing up. if that were to happen to my son i would be camped out at the supt. office. the newspapers would know as well as the television stations. there is just not a reason to cuss. if a coach "feels" he must use that type of language to get his point across then the coach needs to re-take all of his education classes. i like vanderbilts rules about language.........gosh, darn and heck...........that is it. anything stronger and players are punished. coaches don't do it because they will be looking for new jobs.

coaches have hard jobs and need the support of the community. so much of what they do is nit-picked anyway. the community, athletic boosters, kids, administrators and the media all take their swings at coaches from time to time. that said i understand the pressure and hard work that coaches go through and i don't think we should be adding to their problems. however, they are educators and cussing has no educational value. if what you do is of no value, then why are you being paid?

Some coaches probally didn't cuss untill they became a head coach...lol........wheather they like it or not, coaches are role models. They have lasting impressions (good or bad) on the kids they coach. We are called to be salt and light while being firm and fair. Words spoken in the heat of the moment is one thing but cussing on a regular bases is not acceptable.............

Guest bleedsbluengold24
I am not condoning coaches cussing, but that is the way some try to get their message across.

Tony Dungy.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Some on here have used the excuse "It's not any worse than what the kids hear from each other everyday." or something like that to justify coaches cursing. Okay, kids skip class. Should teachers? Some kids use drugs. Should teachers? I am sure that kids use foul language. While I certainly don't condone that, it is hardly an excuse to justify educators doing it. Kids are young and immature. Teachers are supposed to be adults and, as such, act like adults.

As far as using foul language to get a point across, bench someone you're having a hard time communicating with. That will get his/her attention.

Guest JAKEBRAKE

Cry me a river, some of these brat knuckleheaded kids need a good old fashion cussing every now and then to bring them off the cloud they live on. I'm sorry, but timeout, dr. phil, counting, those methods have run their course. You show me a kid that's been coddled and always patted on the back and rewarded for doing good, but never had his world interrupted for screwing up, i'll show you a kid that will never make it once he gets on his own and adversity comes crashing down on him.

For some reason, teachers, coaches and even parents now think they have to sit down with their kid, student, athlete etc whenever he's done wrong, and go through some psycho babble #### to tell little Johnny that it's ok, let's just try and do better next time. If you look real close, you will see those words going through one ear and out the other one. Your not doing these kids any favors by doing nothing but building them up all the time without ever breaking them down either. THere is no doubt a line not to cross, but i hate to tell you that the real world and life itself will beat the hell out of you if you let it. Don't send your kids out on their own unprepared, they'll respect you more than you ever know for it in the long run.

Cry me a river, some of these brat knuckleheaded kids need a good old fashion cussing every now and then to bring them off the cloud they live on. I'm sorry, but timeout, dr. phil, counting, those methods have run their course. You show me a kid that's been coddled and always patted on the back and rewarded for doing good, but never had his world interrupted for screwing up, i'll show you a kid that will never make it once he gets on his own and adversity comes crashing down on him.

For some reason, teachers, coaches and even parents now think they have to sit down with their kid, student, athlete etc whenever he's done wrong, and go through some psycho babble #### to tell little Johnny that it's ok, let's just try and do better next time. If you look real close, you will see those words going through one ear and out the other one. Your not doing these kids any favors by doing nothing but building them up all the time without ever breaking them down either. THere is no doubt a line not to cross, but i hate to tell you that the real world and life itself will beat the hell out of you if you let it. Don't send your kids out on their own unprepared, they'll respect you more than you ever know for it in the long run.

"Sir"-

I surly hope that you are not a coach or a teacher. There is ZERO need to cuss to get your point accross. If you cannot say it clean, it does not need to be said. Its not coddling- Its coaching.

Guest JAKEBRAKE

I never knew that there was one and only one way to coach. It's kind of like parenting, if there is one failproof way of doing it, someone please let me know.

I stick to my previous post though, everybody needs a good #### chewing every now and then. People like you are the reason why the military had to implement less stringent disciplinary methods in boot camp. It may not be fair, but i'm afraid that's the way it is.

I don't think "tone" is the issue. It is the profane and foul language that is being questioned. Sometimes a loud angry tone may be required and deserved. Question Jakebrake - what do the descriptive adjectives add to process. I used tone with my kids, but not foul language. They got the message just fine.

The National Federation of High School Soccer Rules have the following rules regarding language.

1) A player, coach or bench personnel shall be cautioned for any incidental use of vulgar or profane language.

2) A player, coach or bench personnel shall be disqualified for using insulting, offensive or abusive language or gesture.

I suspect other NFHS rule books have similiar language.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

Something tells me things were a little tense growing up in the JAKEBRAKE household.

P.S. See BluePirate's assessment of those who make it a point of using foul language.

I think people are way too sensitive nowdays. If a coach doesn't cuss then great. If he does, so what. I got a pretty good cussing a couple of times but I deserved it. I didn't go cry to my mommy though. I say if a little cuss word every now and then really bothers you then go to P. E.

In my opinion, cussing in general is a lack of vocabulary...you can use your imagination to find what i mean about someone who cusses...for a coach to do it at a player is even worse then just about any other thing...as an opponent when i hear other coaches cussing and their kids cussing, it makes me think that the said program has no class...in my opininion coaches should be held to the same standards as teachers, but if possible on a higher pedastal...teachers are in the classroom which is semi private, coaches on the sidelines are out in front of god and everybody...cussing to me shows a lack of character...

Guest RRHoochieKoo

I say give them little suckas a gud cussin. Everybody needs a gud cussin. If you can't take a gud cussin go join the PE class. That whats wrong with our military today is because we didn't give em a good enuff cussin when they were young.

Give me a break! If you need to cuss to get your point across to young people then your point is not worth getting across.

Now start cussing me.