Coaches Cussing

Safetyman

the science teacher is not allowed to use bad language in class. the supt. does not use it in interviews. the math teacher is not allowed to call a student a dumb---. so it goes coaches, who are teachers, should not be allowed to use off color language either. it sends the wrong message. i understand in all walks of life the occasional slip. if tht slip is not directed at a player in a direct way then it can be worked on and delt with. however, if any school official is cussing directly at a student/athlete he should be let go. i remember a scrimage from one hs in the area about 5 or 6 years ago a coach called one of his players the p word. i also saw this happen in my hs growing up. if that were to happen to my son i would be camped out at the supt. office. the newspapers would know as well as the television stations. there is just not a reason to cuss. if a coach "feels" he must use that type of language to get his point across then the coach needs to re-take all of his education classes. i like vanderbilts rules about language.........gosh, darn and heck...........that is it. anything stronger and players are punished. coaches don't do it because they will be looking for new jobs.

coaches have hard jobs and need the support of the community. so much of what they do is nit-picked anyway. the community, athletic boosters, kids, administrators and the media all take their swings at coaches from time to time. that said i understand the pressure and hard work that coaches go through and i don't think we should be adding to their problems. however, they are educators and cussing has no educational value. if what you do is of no value, then why are you being paid?

I by know means condone cussing at kids either on the field or in the classroom. All you have to do is ask some of my former players, and they will tell you about being disciplined for the occasional slip from their mouth. But I find your comments a little passive-aggressive. You speak of a coach calling one of his players the "P word," and you continue with the statement of if it was your son you would basically be waiting for the superintendent the next morning, calling the newspapers and TV stations. Basically, you are going after the coach's career because he used a word that is unacceptable on the field. Then you begin the second paragraph with a complete 180 degree turn from your first paragraph only to finish with twist and shot at coaches and educators that is very vague to say the least. "They are educators and cussing has no educational value. if what you do is of no value, then why are you being paid?" As if a coach that used a cuss word is the only thing he did all day in practice.

Your post caught my attention because, and this is total speculation because I don't know you at all, you seem to be the fan that likes to tell the coaches they are doing a good job and "we" are behind you only to go behind them to the supt. or school board member as soon as something doesn't go well. Why not talk with the coach if he used inappropriate words to your son or any other player? Again, I could be totally wrong, and I apologize if I have offended you. But in my 15+ years of coaching high school sports I've seen this more often than not.

As for the original topic - I don't like hearing cuss words in sports, but I also know that sports bring out passion. Sometimes coaches, players, and even fans say things that 15 minutes later they wish they wouldn't have said. These are not the people that I think we should be worried about. It's the coaches that constantly cuss in front of players as if it was no big deal.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JAKEBRAKE

And i think that's where my posts are being taken out of context. I'm not saying from the time you hit the turf start dropping bombs and not let up until they're on the way home. Alot of kids are just flat out sorry, spoiled and have no respect for any kind of authority, and sometimes different measures are needed.

And no, things were not tense in the Jakebrake household, but my old man didn't play, and i knew that. Some people have their way of doing things, i, in my humble opinion, don't think there is anything wrong with hurling some cuss words at a young man if he seems to just constantly muck things up and doesn't seem to show any care. He's gonna get it when he get's out in the real world, might as well start getting them ready now.

And no, things were not tense in the Jakebrake household, but my old man didn't play, and i knew that. Some people have their way of doing things, i, in my humble opinion, don't think there is anything wrong with hurling some cuss words at a young man if he seems to just constantly muck things up and doesn't seem to show any care. He's gonna get it when he get's out in the real world, might as well start getting them ready now.

If a kid thinks cussing is allowed in the "real world", he will be poorly repaired. Supervisors that cuss at subordinates are usually dismissed or subject to lawsuits.

Please explain to me how "cussing" will help a player that "constantly mucks things up and doesn't seem to show any care". Running, harsh tones, missing playing time to get their attention - okay. Do you honestly think adding cuss words to the equation actually is going to change behavior?

I think the occassional slip is going to happen. It is the vocabulary that is the issue.

I am still not condoning cussing by coaches or anyone else it does not set a good example for anyone. But IMO you can't compare a coach to a science teacher, waitress or stock broker. Tell me when it gets as intense in Science class as it does preparing for a big game or actually playing the big game? Once again I don't condon it, but things happen in the heat of the battle.

I am still not condoning cussing by coaches or anyone else it does not set a good example for anyone. But IMO you can't compare a coach to a science teacher, waitress or stock broker. Tell me when it gets as intense in Science class as it does preparing for a big game or actually playing the big game? Once again I don't condon it, but things happen in the heat of the battle.

You can compare them. I expect them to handle themselves like professionals no matter how "intense" the situation. Especially when it involves my kids!

IMO a good science teacher gets just as intense as a coach does but in different ways. A science teacher deals with anywhere from 120 to 180 students each day where as a coach has 45-50. with the other coaches on staff. Out of that 45 - 50, 98% want to be there, where in the science class, especially higher level ones, you are dealing with about 50% that want to be there. With the TAKS results being used to determine whether a teacher is doing their job or not, teachers are spending more time preparing and worrying about whether little Johnny is learning. Students are to be in lab 40% of the time, so you have a teacher who is responsible for 25-35 students at a time, sometimes dealing with chemicals and other equipment that could be harmful to students if not used properly. How does a teacher not get intense when presented with this situation.

I coached for 25 years and never said a cuss word in front of an athlete, if it is not common for you to use these words they will not slip out in the heat of battle IMHO

Gildor I agree if you don't make it a practice to use those words it is unlikely they will slip out.

IMHO I never saw Science class getting as intense as football practice or a big game. How many kids in Science class are fighting for a chance to perform in front of parents and peers. Once again I am not condoning and don't think it should be common practice to use that type of language, I'm just trying to be real.

Oh give me a break! It is true that times are different now and not like they were in the 50's, 60's and 70's. They damn sure aren't any better that is for sure. In the old days you would hear some language and you had discipline and you did not have all the trouble in schools that you have today. Kids now days at too soft, too spoiled and so many parents are ruining them and this country. You do not have to use profanity to maintain discipline, but you do need to be assertive and forceful at time to get and maintain respect. You have to get on players #### every now and then. They are teenagers and they need waking up from time to time. I do believe there are words a coach should never use but to crawl someone's butt when they continue to screw up is not only appropriate by necessary. I do not see what is wrong with saying hell, sh--, get you a-- over here, don't be a dumba-- or your blocking playing or hitting like a little chickensh--. Although you do learn on an athletic field or court some of the most important values in life, it is not a classroom and you do not perpare or teach the same way.

Just my opinion, but I'm old school, a few cuss words now and then and nothing excessive or too bad does not hurt. I do not condone calling a player a name unless you are telling him "he is a chickensh-- or plaing like a chickens---", or "if you miss that block again I'm going to kick you in your a-- until your nose bleeds". However, there is not room for using a names or works like; bast..., SOB, TobinFrost, MF or F---.

If you team does not respect you, they better fear you!

Guest JAKEBRAKE

Redcreek, people like me and you are never gonna win on this topic. Way too many sensitivity trainers on here.

they sure were. but you should know the way things are now days you have to be very careful in whatever you do. if a coach is cussing his players he's putting himself at a risk. maybe they should do it the way they do everything else. send a form home to the parents and have them sign and check a box whether their child can be cussed at or not. :whome:

Yes, that it true, it has really gotten to be a shame. Political correctness in place of good sence. You can't do any thing any more without have to worry about losing your job or being sued.

Coaches, you should hear the players

ahh you beat me to it...sometimes people just cuss...its in their vocab. most of the time a coach isn't doing it to look hard or scare someone...plus players who are too sensetive to handle critisism with some foul language in it, probably has a hard time keeping their head straight in a game anyway.

the misconception on this thread, i think, has been the AMOUNT of cussing that a coach is using. i once had a coach that went to church with me, sang in the choir, and was a really nice guy. he just had a passion for football and every once in awhile would let out a "knock his TobinFrost out!!" it never bothered anyone, as well it shouldn't. but if your coach is like those from the florida northwestern team that will be playing SLC, then yea something should be done about that. but saying da.mmit after an interception is nothing to cry over.

Yes, that it true, it has really gotten to be a shame. Political correctness in place of good sence. You can't do any thing any more without have to worry about losing your job or being sued.

That is right Red Creek, you had better be aware of your surroundings. My highschool coach had a hand full of facemask on ocassion and none of us run home and told mommy & daddy we took it stride and tried to do better next time.

I by know means condone cussing at kids either on the field or in the classroom. All you have to do is ask some of my former players, and they will tell you about being disciplined for the occasional slip from their mouth. But I find your comments a little passive-aggressive. You speak of a coach calling one of his players the "P word," and you continue with the statement of if it was your son you would basically be waiting for the superintendent the next morning, calling the newspapers and TV stations. Basically, you are going after the coach's career because he used a word that is unacceptable on the field. Then you begin the second paragraph with a complete 180 degree turn from your first paragraph only to finish with twist and shot at coaches and educators that is very vague to say the least. "They are educators and cussing has no educational value. if what you do is of no value, then why are you being paid?" As if a coach that used a cuss word is the only thing he did all day in practice.

Your post caught my attention because, and this is total speculation because I don't know you at all, you seem to be the fan that likes to tell the coaches they are doing a good job and "we" are behind you only to go behind them to the supt. or school board member as soon as something doesn't go well. Why not talk with the coach if he used inappropriate words to your son or any other player? Again, I could be totally wrong, and I apologize if I have offended you. But in my 15+ years of coaching high school sports I've seen this more often than not.

As for the original topic - I don't like hearing cuss words in sports, but I also know that sports bring out passion. Sometimes coaches, players, and even fans say things that 15 minutes later they wish they wouldn't have said. These are not the people that I think we should be worried about. It's the coaches that constantly cuss in front of players as if it was no big deal.

it was more of cussing being in 2 different classes........if a coach slips with a so called mild infraction such as da--, sh-- or he-- and is not know for this and works to not do it again the that is something in one class. the instance to which i refered is when a coach calls a specific player profane names or is a coach that has a constant flow of trash from his mouth. those are the ones that have no business coach in public schools. i am not talking about going after a coach for a slight slip.....i mean most of us having dropped a hammer on toes might slip with more than an "oh golly'. it is the coach that can't or won't stop; the coach that directs it to individual players. to me that show lack of class, education and personal control. agreed, one slight slip and you do get with the coach and AD in private. i was just talking about the ones that feel the need to curse at individual players because that is the only way they can make a point.

Guest JAKEBRAKE

Dennis Alexander was my sunday school teacher, but when it came to football there weren't many other words he knew other than cuss words, but he was really a good guy. Wins and losses has alot to do with it too. Parents and faculty are more prone to turn a deaf ear if they're putting banners up year in and year out.

Dennis Alexander was my sunday school teacher, but when it came to football there weren't many other words he knew other than cuss words, but he was really a good guy. Wins and losses has alot to do with it too. Parents and faculty are more prone to turn a deaf ear if they're putting banners up year in and year out.

Not to take anything from Dennis Alexander's ability as a coach (because he has had some outstanding teams - especially at Daingerfield)...but from a Christian perspective - sounds like, well, from his language wasn't very....

Guest JAKEBRAKE
Not to take anything from Dennis Alexander's ability as a coach (because he has had some outstanding teams - especially at Daingerfield)...but from a Christian perspective - sounds like, well, from his language wasn't very....

I'm sure he's not the first Christian man in a coaching capacity that has hurled some expletives

"its not what is expressed from the mouth,but from the heart that shows ones chararcter" Grandma Walton...

"A wise man's heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction" Proverbs 16:23

"The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45

The words spoken both in joy and anger reflect ones heart.

Must be Southern Baptist........lol

I think swearing is a @#$%^& way to show anger. Those @#$%^& &*(@#$? coaches should act better. Just listen how the nice parents in the stand correct the @#$% coach when he has obiviously @#$%^& up! Cm'on coaches get with the program.

No excuses though, no place for it in high school!

I think swearing is a @#$%^& way to show anger. Those @#$%^& &*(@#$? coaches should act better. Just listen how the nice parents in the stand correct the @#$% coach when he has obiviously @#$%^& up! Cm'on coaches get with the program.

No excuses though, no place for it in high school!

Someone needs to take some anger management classes.