Coaches Cussing

Safetyman

Sometimes there is no other way to motivate a certain kid. At Northwestern Florida, those kids grow up around that type of atmosphere so it's every day language. Their coaches use it because that's the only thing their players understand. Check out the movie called Year of the Bull. Listen to their coaches pre game speeches. Each kid is different, some kids respond to it while others shut down to it. Good coaches know how to motivate and sometimes it might contain expletives. I've always wondered if Tony Dungy allows his assistant coaches to cuss? Even though he doesn't cuss himself or get loud.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A wise man's heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction" Proverbs 16:23

"The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45

The words spoken both in joy and anger reflect ones heart.

wow,I will never watch the walton's on nickeloden again,I am glad i didn't quote aunt b from the andy griffen show, hers where even crazier than that.....but then again I have known many men who cuss but would give you or any one the shirt off their back for someone in need..something about actions speak louder than words.........

Peronaly (As a High Schoolo Student) i think that it is ok to cuss at the athletes. Sometimes There is a lack of motovation in the team so that will there head in the game and pay attention. And other times sometimse an athlete does not do there best until; they are mad. So then again that gets them fired up and ready. And in practice the same situation if they are jacking around or acting stupid then the coach will crawl all over them. My dad went to school in Wylie, TX and he said that every day the coach would cuss at them to get them fired up. So you be the judge either way each side will have there opinions!

In certain towns, they will look at the W/L, then decide. I am glad our school took a pass when we had the chance. Character matters. None of us are perfect, but there is a threshold beyond the occasional epithet which does not build up, but tears down. You can't excuse the actions because the local community standards might be below par.

Motivational tool????? Do not not about you guys but when I was in high school if My dad found out that a teacher or a coach was cussing me out, it would be "Katie bar the door" for them. You can accomplish anything or motivate anyone without the use of profanity. I grew up around many people that cussed so much that they never knew they were doing it and yet would woop the fire out of their kid the first time they repeating anything they obviously learned from them. You can try to rationalize it anyway you can but there is no way that you can actually rationalize this as being ok.

Yes, most everyone lets one slip everynow and then but if you are going to yell these words at kids all of the time, then what kind of example are you going to teach? You are going to teach them that they can yell and curse their way into anything they want. You teach them that it is fine to demean kids as long as they do what you want. You will teach them that they only way to deal with people who do not do what they want is to yell and curse them.

You could bring up statistics of mental and verbal abuse that comes from people that think this is they way they are supposed to be. How families are destroyed and alienated because of this type of behavior, but when it all boils down to it, it is simply wrong.

Yes, I know people that curse that are very good natured. Do I think they should be cursing like sailors and teaching Sunday School, NO. They need to review the fact that they are trying to be an example and teach the difference between wrong and right. These people who try to keep a good nature are people who have good self control and try to do most things right. NO ONE IS PERFECT!!!Plain truth is that not everyone has self control and can let things get out of hand before they know it. Whether it be cursing, drinking, doing drugs, being abusive, over eating, etc. All products of poor self control.

Bottom line: Is it Rigt or Wrong?

It is WRONG!!!!

Motivational tool????? Do not not about you guys but when I was in high school if My dad found out that a teacher or a coach was cussing me out, it would be "Katie bar the door" for them. You can accomplish anything or motivate anyone without the use of profanity. I grew up around many people that cussed so much that they never knew they were doing it and yet would woop the fire out of their kid the first time they repeating anything they obviously learned from them. You can try to rationalize it anyway you can but there is no way that you can actually rationalize this as being ok.

Yes, most everyone lets one slip everynow and then but if you are going to yell these words at kids all of the time, then what kind of example are you going to teach? You are going to teach them that they can yell and curse their way into anything they want. You teach them that it is fine to demean kids as long as they do what you want. You will teach them that they only way to deal with people who do not do what they want is to yell and curse them.

You could bring up statistics of mental and verbal abuse that comes from people that think this is they way they are supposed to be. How families are destroyed and alienated because of this type of behavior, but when it all boils down to it, it is simply wrong.

Yes, I know people that curse that are very good natured. Do I think they should be cursing like sailors and teaching Sunday School, NO. They need to review the fact that they are trying to be an example and teach the difference between wrong and right. These people who try to keep a good nature are people who have good self control and try to do most things right. NO ONE IS PERFECT!!!Plain truth is that not everyone has self control and can let things get out of hand before they know it. Whether it be cursing, drinking, doing drugs, being abusive, over eating, etc. All products of poor self control.

Bottom line: Is it Rigt or Wrong?

It is

WRONG!!!!

Soooooo, what are you trying to say?

Haha,JK Medman. :notworthy:

In my book, a good coach is also a good motivator and a role model. I had two different head coaches in my high school football days. Under the first coach we went 7-3 and made the playoffs during my junior year. He took another coaching job during the summer between my junior and senior year. The district hired another coach. We went 2-8 my senior year. Athletically, the team as a whole was more talented my senior year. The former coach treated us with respect, like men. He didn't use profanity to get his point across or to try to "motivate." The latter coach was just the opposite. He would rant and curse when things went wrong. He even punched a hole through a blackboard one Saturday morning after a loss. My sweetest memories of playing high school football was during my junior year, thanks to Coach Dupree. My senior year......well, thanks for nothing coach. :thumbdown:

I know a coach that punishes such language.

If the coach hears a cuss word the athlete must run one lap for each letter in the cuss word.

A visiting coach was cussing his players during warm up. Our coach reminded him "our school is a non-cussing campus".

Adults lead by example - in the classroom and on the field.

No cussing - smoking - dipping - drinking etc. . . in front of the students.

Not old fashion - CHRISTIAN.

It is time to take a stand.