the best ever (pitcher)

stevosev7

Here are some of the best ever and some of their accomplishments. I ranked them how I see them...

1. Cy Young - 511 wins, they've named an award in his honor

2. Nolan Ryan- 5700+ K's, 7 no-hitters, 324 wins(All while playing on subpar teams)

3. Walter Johnson- 417 wins, 3500 k's, career era of 2.17, 12 20-win seasons (10 in a row),

4. Roger Clemens- 350 wins, 4600 k's, who knows when he'll quit, 7 cy young awards

5. Greg Maddux- 342 wins, 3200 k's, beats batters by thinking and has good movement with outstanding location, 16 gold gloves, 15 straight 15 win seasons, 4 cy young awards

6. Curt Schilling- despite playing on terrible teams early in his career he still won 214 games, struck out 3000+ and the 2004 alcs game 6 performance was spectacular

7. Trevor Hoffman- all time saves leader (511 and climbing)

8. Warren Spahn- 363wins, 2500 k's, 2 no-hitters, 3 time league ERA leader

9. Tom Glavine- just won 300th game, 2500 k's, 2 cy young awards, like Maddux he doesn't have an overpowering fastball but has commanding location

My pick: Walter Johnson ... a man who really did play on inferior teams. :whome:

• Walter Johnson's winning percentage: .599
  • Composite winning percentage of the 1907-1927 Washington Senators: .492 (1559-1609)
... plus, he gets bonus points for hitting 24 home runs :D

The rest of my top 10, which fluxuates periodically:

2. Sandy Koufax

3. Lefty Grove

4. Christy Mathewson

5. Warren Spahn

6. Bob Gibson

7. Cy Young

8. Roger Clemens

9. Grover Cleveland Alexander

10. Satchel Paige

I guess my pick would have to depend on what team the pitcher is facing at the time.

If the team being pitched against is an aggressive, free-swinging team I'd take my chances with Nolan Ryan.

If the team being pitched against was a slap-happy "Pete Rose" team I'd rather have a smart pitcher like Maddux.

I think all the pitchers listed so far would fit the bill as "best." But some would be better than others in certain situations. No one pitcher is the best ever. The best pitcher ever would have to be #1 in all pitching categories. No one has, or ever will, accomplish that.

My "sweet 16" would include Greg Maddux, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Warren Spahn, Roger Clemens, Sandy Koufax, Satchel Paige, Lefty Grove, Cy Young, Robin Roberts, Randy Johnson, Jim Palmer, Pedro Martinez, Don Sutton, Bob Feller and Don Drysdale.

I could take on the world with that group and win.

Guest bleedsbluengold24
My "sweet 16" would include Greg Maddux, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Warren Spahn, Roger Clemens, Sandy Koufax, Satchel Paige, Lefty Grove, Cy Young, Robin Roberts, Randy Johnson, Jim Palmer, Pedro Martinez, Don Sutton, Bob Feller and Don Drysdale.

I could take on the world with that group and win.

You forgot Nolan. hehehe

Guest RRHoochieKoo

Elite Group: in no particular order IMO

Bob Gibson

Sandy Koufax

Walter Johnson

Bob Feller

Roger Clemens

Don Drysdale

Pedro Martinez

Nolan Ryan

Randy Johnson

Cy Young

Satchel Paige

Greg Maddux

Curt Schilling

Jim Palmer

Warren Spahn

Lefty Grove

Tom Glavine

Steve Carlton

Tom Seaver

Wonder what might have been:

J.R. Richard

Hon. Mention:

John Smoltz-might be deserving of the elite group?

Tommy John

Mike Scott

Phil Niekro

Frank Tananna

Closer:

Trevor Hoffman

Dennis Ecersly(sp)

Bruce Sutter

Mariano Rivera

Guest RRHoochieKoo

^ Forgot about some of those. Still have memories of Mark "the bird" Fidrych on his hands and knees grooming the mound.

Herb Score was headed to the Hall of Fame path when that liner off the bat of Gil McDougald caught square in the face and he was never the same.

He had 36 wins and over 500 strikeouts in his first two seasons before being struck in the face.

Sad story but that is part of baseball.