BIG Cat sightings

bigdawg16

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you guys have seen one or have seen signs of them on your property/lease?

This mountain lion story out of Gladewater is unusual but..... when I saw it on TV... it brought back a sighting I had on a lease I had in Starville, on the edge of Gladewater, while I was bowhunting one evening, walking back to my truck, a mountain lion was chasing a rabbit of of a lake road with his head down, and ran up on me apporx 25 yards, and came to a stop. We had a stand off for what seemed forever, but actually was about a minuate. He jumped across the logging road I was on and dissapeard. It got dark, and I had to cross that path past where he had left. With arrow in hand.. I ran as fast as I could past that road to the truck. I told my buddies about it at work the next day, and of coarse no one believed me. It had rained the day before, so I knew there would be some good tracks. We all went to the lease that afternoon, and we found the tracks, and confirmed it was a mountain lion. It was as large as the palm of your hand. It made a believer out of me. :sweat:

I am not trying to call anyone a liar, but i am alot like those Missiouri boys in that I want someone to show me. How many people hunt across East Texas every year, and how many drive around with some sort of firearm with them and how many dead mountain lions, cougars, or panthers have you seen? For me its 0. I will admit that we are talking about a very elusive cat, but someone would have shot one if they were around. I have seen many bobcats, foxes while bowhunting, and spent many hours coon hunting with hounds but still no big cats. There are always alot of sightings around but I think people see something in the dark or in the woods and their imagination runs wild.

I did kill a mature bigfoot last year though!

Guest bleedsbluengold24
I am not trying to call anyone a liar, but i am alot like those Missiouri boys in that I want someone to show me. How many people hunt across East Texas every year, and how many drive around with some sort of firearm with them and how many dead mountain lions, cougars, or panthers have you seen? For me its 0. I will admit that we are talking about a very elusive cat, but someone would have shot one if they were around. I have seen many bobcats, foxes while bowhunting, and spent many hours coon hunting with hounds but still no big cats. There are always alot of sightings around but I think people see something in the dark or in the woods and their imagination runs wild.

Got friends in NW Lamar County who have seen them on their place. Plus, saw a pic of one from a game cam northwest of Clarksville.

when i was in high school, my family was sitting around doing nothing as usual when we heard what sounded like a woman screaming outside our house. we all rushed out the front door with flashlights and guns a plenty to investigate. about 15 yards from our front porch we had a huge oak tree with a "V" where the tree split, about ten feet from the ground. we heard a noise and shined the lights at the tree and saw an absolutely beautiful (and very large) black panther. it was just laying there in the "V" looking at us just wagging it's tail back and forth without a care in the world. my entire family was speechless as we stood there not believing our eyes. after a few seconds, the cat jumped down and was gone back in the woods. the next day we contacted a friend of ours that was a game warden and he told us that he had also recently seen a black panther around sulphur river bottoms.

HoosierDaddy

Your like most, you havnt ran across one yet, and probally never will. I know what I saw, and verified it with a biologist. I have been huinting since I was 7 yeras old, and know a cat when I see one. This cat was approx 85 lbs. Not to be confused with a cougar, bobcat, doe, or a house cat. A landowner stopped by our camp about a week later, because our landowner had told him about the sighting.... He claimed he had lost some calves, and found the carcuses. All in all... it was a Mountain Lion

Guest RRHoochieKoo

Speaking of the " Big Cat" anyone know what happened to Leon Lett?

As far as the main subject: I haven't personnally seen one but I do think they do exist around East Texas. My gramdma swears that she saw a Black Panther back in the early 80's here in Smith County. Granny didn't lie either.

These guys have tremendous range and in east texas are not at the top of anythings food chain. There are some parts of east texas that are so thick that you would probably never see one. And with todays wild hog population all one cat has to do is find the hogs and he will have piglets all year round to feed on.

Got friends in NW Lamar County who have seen them on their place. Plus, saw a pic of one from a game cam northwest of Clarksville.

Saw one on Hwy 24 about 5 years ago.......some people claim its some kind of Jaguarina......you can look it up.....i think they live in Mexico for the most part....

Make no mistake about it, they do exist. I have seen them and heard them (though very rare). TP&W is asking people who see them to call in and let them know. I spoke with a game warden friend to ask hime why they wanted to know, and he said they were doing counts and studies. Where I grew up it used to not be ucommon to see them, but I have not heard of wny sighting there in a while. I think the most scared that I have ever been in the woods is one day I cam out on an abandoned railroad track and started walking toward the road when I got the overwhelming feeling that I was being watched. i stopped and turned around to see a Momma and two cub mountain lions. They were brown in color. That dead stare she was giving me was enough to just about give me a heart attack. I started walking backwards away from them and they all sit still and stared until I was out of sight. All that I could think about was the numerous times that I had walked those woods while this cat probably watched me go right on by. Scary thought.

Funny someone mentioned coon hunting. We ran into a big cat one night as we topped a hill and started into a draw. The dog came running back past us whinning so we shinned our lights up ahead and up in a fallen tree top was probably the biggest cat that I have ever seen in the wild to date in East Texas. Needless to say we put it in slow reverse and kept looking behind us all the way to the truck. Erie enough during the day, but it was really bad at night.

When you finally se one in the wild, it will leave a lasting impression on you and no one will convince you that you saw anything any different. There are pictures of them in East Texas out there, not sure where to tell you to look. Only a brave soul would show pictures of ones that they killed, because it is not allowed in Texas currently. Big No, No!

As far as to whether or not to believe they exist, many people feel the same way about turkeys or black bears because many have yet to see them in the wild. But, Many of us have seen these two ellusive creatures also.

Guest texpal22

although i have never seen one where i hunt my uncle has. he goes there nearly every day and rides around so he sees alot more than i do. our land is just outside of Jefferson.

Make no mistake about it, they do exist. I have seen them and heard them (though very rare). TP&W is asking people who see them to call in and let them know. I spoke with a game warden friend to ask hime why they wanted to know, and he said they were doing counts and studies. Where I grew up it used to not be ucommon to see them, but I have not heard of wny sighting there in a while. I think the most scared that I have ever been in the woods is one day I cam out on an abandoned railroad track and started walking toward the road when I got the overwhelming feeling that I was being watched. i stopped and turned around to see a Momma and two cub mountain lions. They were brown in color. That dead stare she was giving me was enough to just about give me a heart attack. I started walking backwards away from them and they all sit still and stared until I was out of sight. All that I could think about was the numerous times that I had walked those woods while this cat probably watched me go right on by. Scary thought.

Funny someone mentioned coon hunting. We ran into a big cat one night as we topped a hill and started into a draw. The dog came running back past us whinning so we shinned our lights up ahead and up in a fallen tree top was probably the biggest cat that I have ever seen in the wild to date in East Texas. Needless to say we put it in slow reverse and kept looking behind us all the way to the truck. Erie enough during the day, but it was really bad at night.

When you finally se one in the wild, it will leave a lasting impression on you and no one will convince you that you saw anything any different. There are pictures of them in East Texas out there, not sure where to tell you to look. Only a brave soul would show pictures of ones that they killed, because it is not allowed in Texas currently. Big No, No!

As far as to whether or not to believe they exist, many people feel the same way about turkeys or black bears because many have yet to see them in the wild. But, Many of us have seen these two ellusive creatures also.

Medman

Where were you hunting, when you saw these cats.

i've never seen a million dollars in person but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist....or something

I have no dought that they exist. It is just the fact of residing in your greater East Texas area which i Dought. I am sure every one on this board believes in what they have witnessed. I however have not seen one. I know there are many people who spend more hours than me in the outdoors every year, but I will say again show me a dead one or a picture( that can be veryfied). Since 8/24 11 sightings have been told about on this website. That leads me to believe that either every person that has seen a big cat is a member of the smoakhouse, or ET has a cat infestation and i need to get my vision checked so i can see these man eaters. I do believe these cats can roam into ET as they have very large home ranges, but the facts of hundreds of people hearing them scream, or chase dogs, or kill grown cattle is too far fetched for me to buy. Before you try and crucify me on here let me say that i have been wrong before, and that I will be the first to admit it when I see one on the side of the road, or at the local feed store, or KLTV, or on the way to my next bowstand. Until that day comes however my vote is hogwash!

Be that as it may, but when that day finally comes for you, you will see that no one will ever be able to convince you of anything different. As far as showing you a dead one goes, I would not personally want to kill one of them because of how rare they are nor would I want to endure the trouble that would get me into. Besides, if they do not exist, why is the Texas Parks and Wildlife doing studies and counts on them.

It has taken me over 25 years of hunting in East Texas to see what I have. I grew up in and have hunted the deep woods and thickets of East Texas all of this time to have the few sightings that I have. I will tell you that on each occasion it has been very late in the evening or at night. Even at night, with a spotlight and three coon lights shining on it, there was no mistaking what it was. I have only seen tracks in the daytime.

Wildcats (Cougar, Panther, Puma, Catamount, etc) are fair game for hunting in Texas with no restrictions or seasons.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/a...l/hunt/nongame/

Black Bears, (yes, they are here too) however, are completely protected. Sightings of either species are requested to be reported to TP&WD.