Grand Saline Vs. Eustace

crossfire1407

Grand Saline really impressed me with the new offense and the new defense. Van's Fans and Coaches also gave sincere complements to Coach Phelps and the team. Hes got the Kids believing they can, and will win. They had almost 200 yards on the ground alone against a very good van Defense and showed they can throw the ball on the last play. Dont Know much about Eustace only that GS beat them pretty good last year, and GS has gotten much better but obviously so has Eustace b/c i saw they beat Malakoff Pretty Soundly last week. Should be a good game. I saw GS Wins in a running battle.

Grand Saline 30

Eustace 14

I will admit that I think GS is on the right track however, I don't see them beating Eustace this year. Malakoff gained a total of only 112 yards vs Eustace last week. The Offense rushed for 342 yards and passed for around another 60 or so. I have to go with Eustace on this one. Probably a good game though.

Eustace 28

GS 7

I will admit that I think GS is on the right track however, I don't see them beating Eustace this year. Malakoff gained a total of only 112 yards vs Eustace last week. The Offense rushed for 342 yards and passed for around another 60 or so. I have to go with Eustace on this one. Probably a good game though.

Eustace 28

GS 7

Although Eustace looked very shaped up, they were also playing a very very bad Malakoff team. Malakoff didnt have anything put together and had nothing going for them. I think that Eustace has alot going for them...but who knows for sure until they play a real game. I see eustace on top in a nail biter.

Eustace 27

GS 26

I don't know why people always have to try to downgrade something good. Yes, Malakoff is definately down from what they have had in the past, nobody is arguing that. However, Eustace is starting 10+ sophomores. Malakoff has much better athletes than GS ever thought about; this year at least. Eustace will roll in this one.

I don't know why people always have to try to downgrade something good. Yes, Malakoff is definately down from what they have had in the past, nobody is arguing that. However, Eustace is starting 10+ sophomores. Malakoff has much better athletes than GS ever thought about; this year at least. Eustace will roll in this one.

I hope you are right. I am a eustace supporter and will be till the day i die. I hope it works out. FTball...do i know you?

That is the real good thing about playing the game, everyone has their opinion, but no one knows the outcome until the game is played. Appalachian State proved that Saturday. From talking to some friends who have seen Eustace play this year, they are much improved and to say the least, GS didn't appear to do well on Friday against Van. GS did show signs of putting together something good, however they continually fell apart and couldn't cash in, but Malakoff and Van are on different ends of the spectrum and Jeremy Calhoun is nothing Eustace has or saw Friday night. So GS's loss is deceiving to the quality team they have and Eustace's win is also not indicitive of how good they are. Both will have the opportunity to show us that Friday night. It would not suprise me if this game was decided in the last minute or in OT, but I find it hard to believe either team will roll. I pick GS 27-22, but we will see. Good Luck Bulldogs. :hmm:

That is the real good thing about playing the game, everyone has their opinion, but no one knows the outcome until the game is played. Appalachian State proved that Saturday. From talking to some friends who have seen Eustace play this year, they are much improved and to say the least, GS didn't appear to do well on Friday against Van. GS did show signs of putting together something good, however they continually fell apart and couldn't cash in, but Malakoff and Van are on different ends of the spectrum and Jeremy Calhoun is nothing Eustace has or saw Friday night. So GS's loss is deceiving to the quality team they have and Eustace's win is also not indicitive of how good they are. Both will have the opportunity to show us that Friday night. It would not suprise me if this game was decided in the last minute or in OT, but I find it hard to believe either team will roll. I pick GS 27-22, but we will see. Good Luck Bulldogs. :hmm:

Calhoun is severely overrated. And Penington is what hurt you guys the most, not Calhoun. There are probably just as good of backs in Van's disr\trict as calhoun or even the Eustace district. GS better bring it. Eustace does have a back that is comparable in ways.

Calhoun is severely overrated. And Penington is what hurt you guys the most, not Calhoun. There are probably just as good of backs in Van's disr\trict as calhoun or even the Eustace district. GS better bring it. Eustace does have a back that is comparable in ways.
Overrated? I believe you will have a hard time making most people believe that! What has to be remembered is that Van is running a much more balanced attack this year. Calhoun averaged over 9 yards a carry and just because he didn't get 25 to 30 carries and rush for 200 + yards has no impact on his ability or performance. Pennington did have a good game and I think both aspects of the offense will compliment each other this season. I think that it is safe to say that the folks at OU are much better than any of us at being a great judge of talent. Just a thought.

Overrated? I believe you will have a hard time making most people believe that! What has to be remembered is that Van is running a much more balanced attack this year. Calhoun averaged over 9 yards a carry and just because he didn't get 25 to 30 carries and rush for 200 + yards has no impact on his ability or performance. Pennington did have a good game and I think both aspects of the offense will compliment each other this season. I think that it is safe to say that the folks at OU are much better than any of us at being a great judge of talent. Just a thought.

I have watched calhoun since he was in Junior high. He is definately a great running back. However this #2 rating in the nation is hardly deserved. Seems to me if Calhoun id the only reason GS lost they didn't do that good of a job of game planning. There are 11 people on the field. No matter what you say, one man cannot beat a team alone. As far as OU I think he will be a great fit there but, he's going to have to be coached a lot because he won't be able to jump and juke at that level the way he does in HS.

I agree that Pennington made a huge impact against us and he is an outstanding ball player, but where did you say Eustace's running back was going to college and how does he compare to Calhoun? Oh ok, he plays running back. Then I know several in East Texas that compare to Calhoun, their just not as good. :huh: To bad Eustace won't get to see him first hand.

I agree that Pennington made a huge impact against us and he is an outstanding ball player, but where did you say Eustace's running back was going to college and how does he compare to Calhoun? Oh ok, he plays running back. Then I know several in East Texas that compare to Calhoun, their just not as good. :huh: To bad Eustace won't get to see him first hand.

He is just a sophomore. He will be going somewhere in the future. Come and watch Friday night and you will see first hand what I am talking about. and the spelling is "too bad" not "to bad." I watched the GS game. Calhoun only had one impressive run. The rest were average looking.

He is just a sophomore. He will be going somewhere in the future. Come and watch Friday night and you will see first hand what I am talking about. and the spelling is "too bad" not "to bad." I watched the GS game. Calhoun only had one impressive run. The rest were average looking.

Thanks for the spelling correction, and I do plan on coming to the game. I hope Eustace has a good year and come Friday night or Saturday when I get back on here after the game, I will be one of the first to give you kudos if you're right, but I just think it will be a lot closer than you do. We shall see, but in either case, GS or Eustace is not competing for a state championship, it is just another game in a long season to which both will have average years. Good luck.

Thanks for the spelling correction, and I do plan on coming to the game. I hope Eustace has a good year and come Friday night or Saturday when I get back on here after the game, I will be one of the first to give you kudos if you're right, but I just think it will be a lot closer than you do. We shall see, but in either case, GS or Eustace is not competing for a state championship, it is just another game in a long season to which both will have average years. Good luck.

You might plan on having an average year at GS. But I plan on Eustace actually making the playoffs. Might sound a little crazy to some however, that second and third spot are wide open. Likewise about Friday. If Eustace doesn't win big then I will be the first to admit wrong. Good Luck

I have watched calhoun since he was in Junior high. He is definately a great running back. However this #2 rating in the nation is hardly deserved. Seems to me if Calhoun id the only reason GS lost they didn't do that good of a job of game planning. There are 11 people on the field. No matter what you say, one man cannot beat a team alone. As far as OU I think he will be a great fit there but, he's going to have to be coached a lot because he won't be able to jump and juke at that level the way he does in HS.
You are the prime example of why some people really don't care for this forum. You have made statements about a young man who has worked very hard to get where he is and he really doesn't deserve the negative statements that you have made. You have nothing to base your opinion on and nothing good can come from those statements. Example: How do you know he is not worthy of his #2 ranking? Have you seen all of the other running backs that can be considered? If not, how can you make that statement? Why not just be happy for a fine young man who has worked very hard and let him enjoy the success he has earned? The bottom line is that the GS/Eustace game has nothing to do with Calhoun and each team will have to stand on their own. Good luck to both teams.

You are the prime example of why some people really don't care for this forum. You have made statements about a young man who has worked very hard to get where he is and he really doesn't deserve the negative statements that you have made. You have nothing to base your opinion on and nothing good can come from those statements. Example: How do you know he is not worthy of his #2 ranking? Have you seen all of the other running backs that can be considered? If not, how can you make that statement? Why not just be happy for a fine young man who has worked very hard and let him enjoy the success he has earned? The bottom line is that the GS/Eustace game has nothing to do with Calhoun and each team will have to stand on their own. Good luck to both teams.

My statement is an opinion. If you don't like my opinion then that is fine. This board is a place where people post their opinions. I was merely trying to make a point that Calhoun is not the reason that GS lost the game and not the reason Eustace won theirs. And yes I do think he is overrated. #2 in the nation is pretty high. I have not been that impressed with what I have seen from him so far. He might be worthy of OU but I just can't buy the whole # 2 thing. If that hurts your feelings then don't red this post. I am happy for the young man and wish him the best. I hope he breaks all kinds of records. But as for now I just can't see the merit for that ranking.

There are some points to be made here.....

1. Jeremie Calhoun is very good, Bob Stoops does not recruit overrated scrubs. He is not the reason GS lost, but played a big part into it. One of the reasons Van's Passing did so well is b/c GS was thinking he would get all the carries and did not adequately prepare for Van's passing attack.

2. GS beat Eustace last year 26-10 and it could have been a lot worse. GS has made tremendous improvement in the way they move the ball, and i think they are better at ever offensive position. GS did not do a bad job in containing Calhoun. He scared them with some early runs, but they settled down and he did not run roughshod over them like everyone thought he would. GS is going to be much better than last year.

3. Eustace is better than last year. But they beat a Hapless Malakoff team. But a win is a win, and GS did much better last year against Malakoff than Eustace did. I see a good game Developing.

4. Eustace and GS both have proved nothing to this point. Both have improved, but its obvious there is not clear winner in the pre-game whos better contest. About 11 P.M on friday night well know the answer to that.

My statement is an opinion. If you don't like my opinion then that is fine. This board is a place where people post their opinions. I was merely trying to make a point that Calhoun is not the reason that GS lost the game and not the reason Eustace won theirs. And yes I do think he is overrated. #2 in the nation is pretty high. I have not been that impressed with what I have seen from him so far. He might be worthy of OU but I just can't buy the whole # 2 thing. If that hurts your feelings then don't red this post. I am happy for the young man and wish him the best. I hope he breaks all kinds of records. But as for now I just can't see the merit for that ranking.

Hey it is actually 'read' not 'red'. :thumbsup: Just funning. But I too think #2 in the nation is a bit absurd. He is very talented but #2?

1. Jeremie Calhoun is very good, Bob Stoops does not recruit overrated scrubs. He is not the reason GS lost, but played a big part into it. One of the reasons Van's Passing did so well is b/c GS was thinking he would get all the carries and did not adequately prepare for Van's passing attack.

2. GS beat Eustace last year 26-10 and it could have been a lot worse. GS has made tremendous improvement in the way they move the ball, and i think they are better at ever offensive position. GS did not do a bad job in containing Calhoun. He scared them with some early runs, but they settled down and he did not run roughshod over them like everyone thought he would. GS is going to be much better than last year.

3. Eustace is better than last year. But they beat a Hapless Malakoff team. But a win is a win, and GS did much better last year against Malakoff than Eustace did. I see a good game Developing.

4. Eustace and GS both have proved nothing to this point. Both have improved, but its obvious there is not clear winner in the pre-game whos better contest. About 11 P.M on friday night well know the answer to that.

First off nobody has called anyone a scrub. Second, I believe that GS was a lot more athletic last year. They play hard this year but, as far as pure athletic ability goes they don't seem to have as much. And if you remember last years game the Eustace QB went out of the game in the second quarter. When you can't read the zone read then everyone knows who is getting the ball. It kind of makes your offense one dimensional. But last year is over so let's not dwell on that. Malakoff is definately down this year however, there is a difference in beating someone and dominating every aspect of the game, which is what Eustace did last Friday night. You can't argue with almost 400 yards of total offense and giving up only 112. No matter who you play that is pretty darn good. Should be a good game Friday night.

Hey it is actually 'read' not 'red'. :thumbsup: Just funning. But I too think #2 in the nation is a bit absurd. He is very talented but #2?

I noticed that after I typed it and knew you might nail me on that one. Yes, talented for sure but questionable ranking.

Well said. Good luck.

I'm going to have to go with GS on this one. I don't know why, I guess I just took offense to the ranking question, and I know everyone has a right to their opinion. I just hope that when the season is half over, ya'll (I meant to spell it that way) will wonder why in the heck he's not rated #1. Young Pennington may be coming into his own this year and it will be great for Van if all the pieces fit together. In the meantime, I like to see young teams develop and I hope Grand Saline keeps growing and learning. I've missed seeing Eustace lately, but I wonder if we'll start meeting again next year. Good Luck to both teams!

Yall are missing the point here. Nobody is questioning his ability. Just the rating system. I can't imagine that there isn't but only one person better than him in the nation. That is the argument.

Watched the ESPN Top 150 TV show and they were talking about the process for how they determined Calhoun to be the #1 RB in the nation. Lots of factors including game film, combine/camp results, etc.. They showed some video of the #2 guy......he's #2 because Jermie is more impressive. I'm thinking they do this for a living.

Watched the ESPN Top 150 TV show and they were talking about the process for how they determined Calhoun to be the #1 RB in the nation. Lots of factors including game film, combine/camp results, etc.. They showed some video of the #2 guy......he's #2 because Jermie is more impressive. I'm thinking they do this for a living.

Look man, You have your opinion, I have mine, and ESPN has theirs. If you don't like mine then stay off of the post. Obviously you are from Van or have some ties there and that's great. The whole ranking system boils down to opinions. Stats are only part of the system. at some point there are both objective and subjective parts of the process. So we all have our opinions. I don't care if George Bush or Hillary Clinton says he's the best, I am not buying it. Sorry if that gets your panties in a wadd.