My Early Picks for 12-4A

Bobcat1976

It's fun to predict ...but c'mon we know this district will fighting it out for playoff spots right up until the end. You can't judge anything right now. Last year..we were shut out by Dayton, lost to Lufkin and were 1-4 at mid season ...who knows what might happen. Marshall could very well end up 0-3 ....but does anyone really count them out? Like Boomer says, "thats why they play the games." :notworthy:

Just a couple of years ago you could depend on Marshall, Kilgore, and either Hallsville or Jacksonville to round out the playoffs. But things have changed and the district is alot more even now.

Jacksonville has looked uncharacteristically weak. Kilgore is looking vulnerable. Marshall is being overmatched by some powerhouses. Pine Tree is scoring some unreal points. Hallsville is eeking by. Nac isn't looking good. Henderson is .500. Whitehouse is sounding good.

But all this stuff happens before the real show begins. You can take these records and perceptions and a $1 a get a decent cup of coffee but they don't mean squat until the district games begin. I usually have a decent idea of what to expect by this time but this year is totally different. I think this race will go down to week 10 with some major "upsets" of traditional powers and alot of surprises along the way

well it seems that jacksonville has lost to a 3a team. not supposed to happen, i have no idea why jacksonville even scheduled brownsboro a year ago. i think if a higher classification schedules a lower classification,they should be a rivalry or a powerhouse such as gilmer, liberty-eylau, or a team of that nature. talent is down in jacksonville, its something you have to get used to, this will be the third year jville doesnt make playoffs, which is something i never thought i would ever see. whenever i moved to jacksonville when i was little all i remember is going to the games and wanting to be them going to playoffs having big games and possible a state title. the state title didnt happen, but the playoffs and big games happened. now jacksonville is struggling to keep their heads above water. i just hope that they can pull it out and end the drought of playoffless seasons. from what i hear around the community, its not lookin good for the coaching staff. good luck tribe

Just a couple of years ago you could depend on Marshall, Kilgore, and either Hallsville or Jacksonville to round out the playoffs. But things have changed and the district is alot more even now.

Jacksonville has looked uncharacteristically weak. Kilgore is looking vulnerable. Marshall is being overmatched by some powerhouses. Pine Tree is scoring some unreal points. Hallsville is eeking by. Nac isn't looking good. Henderson is .500. Whitehouse is sounding good.

But all this stuff happens before the real show begins. You can take these records and perceptions and a $1 a get a decent cup of coffee but they don't mean squat until the district games begin. I usually have a decent idea of what to expect by this time but this year is totally different. I think this race will go down to week 10 with some major "upsets" of traditional powers and alot of surprises along the way

Cat, how can you say hallsville is eeking by? they havent given up a point in 6 quarters and they have yet to even play a real close game and only one TD has been scored at all besides on Defence. also, PT is racking up points against mediocre to not so good small school teams.

Cat, how can you say hallsville is eeking by? they havent given up a point in 6 quarters and they have yet to even play a real close game and only one TD has been scored at all besides on Defence. also, PT is racking up points against mediocre to not so good small school teams.

Personally I am pleased and somewhat surprised by Hallsville so far. Their defense has been solid but the offense as to be expected is a little behind. When I say eeking by I don't mean it as an insult.

The game against Palestine was a good show of ball control.

The game against Atlanta was under control thanks to the defense and turnovers (read short field). The offense was pretty lethargic.

Good teams have different phases of the team stepup to win games. So far they have won by different means. The defense has been the constant.

I am not sold yet. I want them to go 16-0 this year but they have a long ways to go just to make a playoff spot.

They have controlled both games but the offense so far has been low scoring and it's going to be hard to win games scoring 14 to 17 points in this district. It's also going to be harder to score those same 14-17 points in 12-4a.

Pine Tree will be better this year and you should know why. Last year I was a part of their huddle (by accident) after halftime when Hville played them. They have some hosses. I have the PT dislike bred into me too but believe me they will be better this season. And I agree that they haven't had a true test yet.

well lets not forget nac has a talented and experienced defense this year that will be needed until the offense picks it up and i believe they will it took a while last year im not picking them to win this district cause its to early to tell but nac will be in the mix by the time district hits midpiont

it's going to be hard to win games scoring 14 to 17 points in this district. It's also going to be harder to score those same 14-17 points in 12-4a.

That's a really GOOD point!!! And it doesn't just apply to Hallsville....but to everyone in 12-4A.

It SHOULD be easier to hang 20 points on Brownsboro and Athens and Gladewater, and Mabank than it will be to hang 20 points on Whitehouse or Hallsville or Kilgore.

Instead of focusing on the SCORES of these games...... I would be more concerned with execution.

That's a really GOOD point!!! And it doesn't just apply to Hallsville....but to everyone in 12-4A.

It SHOULD be easier to hang 20 points on Brownsboro and Athens and Gladewater, and Mabank than it will be to hang 20 points on Whitehouse or Hallsville or Kilgore.

Instead of focusing on the SCORES of these games...... I would be more concerned with execution.

Words of wisdom Mavchamp! took the words out of my fingers... Cat in NO way did i think that you were being negative nor did i mean to be i was just curious what that meant :flowers: . As for points, Hallsville seems to hav the defence and marshall and WH seem to have the offence ( i would include PT but they have to play at LEAST mediocre Defences). As for everyone else they are doing good (regarding scores and placing) this will be yet another CLOSE and terrific and horrific 12-4A season and extremely fun to watch!

well it seems that jacksonville has lost to a 3a team. not supposed to happen, i have no idea why jacksonville even scheduled brownsboro a year ago. i think if a higher classification schedules a lower classification,they should be a rivalry or a powerhouse such as gilmer, liberty-eylau, or a team of that nature. talent is down in jacksonville, its something you have to get used to, this will be the third year jville doesnt make playoffs, which is something i never thought i would ever see. whenever i moved to jacksonville when i was little all i remember is going to the games and wanting to be them going to playoffs having big games and possible a state title. the state title didnt happen, but the playoffs and big games happened. now jacksonville is struggling to keep their heads above water. i just hope that they can pull it out and end the drought of playoffless seasons. from what i hear around the community, its not lookin good for the coaching staff. good luck tribe

[/quote

For your info it was brownsboro coach that wanted to play jacksonville you know trying to play somewhat tougher competion yeah i know jax coach could have declined but someone feels that they can play with your boys you give them a shot no matter what classification! :thumbsup: