Smoaky's Top 10's (Sunday, September 16th)...

Smoaky

<strong>Smoaky's Top 10's:</strong>

<strong>Class 5-A: (District 12-5A and 15-5A Only)</strong>

1. Lufkin (3-0)(Beat Nacogdoches 29-0)

2. Longview (1-1)(Did Not Play)

3. Tyler Lee (2-1)(Beat Dallas Kimball 3-2)

4. Conroe (3-0)(Beat Houston Westside 34-27)

5. College Park (3-0)(Beat Huntsville 45-7)

6. Mesquite (0-3)(Lost to Abilene 13-10)

7. The Woodlands (0-3)(Lost to GP North Shore 35-17)

8. John Tyler (1-2)(Lost to Desoto 66-12)

9. Mesquite Horn (1-2)(Beat Dallas Hillcrest 20-16)

10. North Mesquite (1-2)(Lost to Plano West 35-25)

<strong>Class 4-A:</strong>

1. Whitehouse (3-0)(Beat Mabank 42-21)

2. Texas High (1-1-1)(Lost to Shreveport Evangel 26-13)

3. Kilgore (2-1)(Beat Atlanta 34-7)

4. Pine Tree (3-0)(Beat Athens 33-30)

5. Paris (2-1)(Lost to Little Elm 24-17)

6. Henderson (2-1)(Beat Palestine 36-14)

7. Mount Pleasant (1-1)(Beat Hallsville 28-27)

8. Hallsville (2-1)(Lost to Mount Pleasant 28-27)

9. Sulphur Springs (2-1)(Beat Denison 56-25)

10. Nacogdoches (0-2)(Lost to Lufkin 29-0)

<strong>Class 3-A:</strong>

1. Gilmer (3-0)(Beat Daingerfield 35-12)

2. Royse City (3-0)(Beat Canton 49-9)

3. Pittsburg (3-0)(Beat Commerce 63-42)

4. Crockett (3-0)(Beat Shepherd 46-0)

5. Kirbyville (2-0)(Did Not Play)

6. Chapel Hill (3-0)(Beat Quinlan Ford 49-28)

7. Diboll (2-0)(Beat Cleveland 52-6)

8. Palestine Westwood (2-1)(Beat Brownsboro 55-21)

9. Brownsboro (2-1)(Lost to Palestine Westwood 55-21)

10. Spring Hill (2-1)(Beat Pleasant Grove 21-10)

<strong>Class 2-A:</strong>

1. Elysian Fields (3-0)(Beat Hooks 44-12)

2. Corrigan-Camden (3-0)(Beat Groveton 34-28)

3. Arp (2-0)(Beat Hemphill 21-6)

4. Tatum (2-1)(Beat Center 55-2)

5. Newton (1-1)(Beat Jasper 35-6)

6. Hughes Springs (3-0)(Beat DeKalb 48-20)

7. Winnsboro (2-1)(Beat Harleton 35-13)

8. Harleton (2-1)(Lost to Winnsboro 35-13)

9. Kerens (3-0)(Beat beat Scurry-Rosser 38-3)

10. Daingerfield (1-2)(Lost to Gilmer 35-12)

<strong>Class 1-A:</strong>

1. Alto (3-0)(Beat Burkeville 74-0)

2. Joaquin (2-0)(Beat Ore City 66-6)

3. Mount Enterprise (3-0)(Beat West Rusk 14-0)

4. Carlisle (3-0)(Beat Shelbyville 14-0)

5. Cayuga (3-0)(Beat Frost 70-0)

6. Groveton (1-2)(Lost to Corrigan-Camden 34-28)

7. Cushing (2-1)(Beat Union Hill 43-18)

8. Lovelady (2-1)(Beat Grapeland 17-9)

9. West Sabine (2-1)(Beat Garrison 28-20)

10. Tenaha (2-1)(Beat Timpson 44-14)

Smoak,

Just a shout out for 15-5A member Oak Ridge. They are off to a 2-0 start and they have a realistic shot at being 5-0 or 4-1 at worst heading into district play. The War Eagles were a 7-4 playoff team last year (after a 5-0 start....), losing to Klein Oak in the first round 41-21. I know last year was last year, but Oak Ridge surprised some folks down here.....beating College Park and Conroe. Should be exciting for the last three spots in 15-5A...Lufkin is a lock, but after that The Wood probably has a slight edge over equals OR, CP and Conroe. Magnolia needs a little help to get things rollin'......

Just thought I'd give The Ridge a little pump for your top 10......

Keep up the great work covering high school sports!!

Surprised you do not have Liberty Eylau in top 10 in 3A. Losses to two 4A schools!

Bordertown,

It's weird not seeing LE in the Top 10, but I'm sure they'll return sometime soon.

HOWEVER, I really thought about this one.

So let's dig into their three games, and 1-2 record.

Their lone win is 28-0 against winless Center, the same Center who was just throttled by Tatum 55-2.

Their two losses are to 1-2 North Lamar, who hasn't won since upsetting LE during the opening weekend, and the North Lamar that just lost to 2A New Boston.

Their most recent loss, although to Class 4-A Greenvile, it was an 0-2 Greenville team with losses to Sherman and Denison who are a combined 3-3.

When looking at #8, #9, #10 in 3-A...there can easily be an argument for all of them.

I thought about dropping Brownsboro out of the Top 10, and even though they were blown out by Westwood, I didn't feel like dropping them from #4 to out of the poll.

Westwood deserved to be in the Top 10 with their impressive win, and especially since their only loss is to unbeaten Chapel Hill.

Spring Hill is a little shaky at #10---but their only loss is to Daingerfield, and although Daingerfield has two losses, those two losses are against Gilmer and Tatum.

As I mentioned early, I'm sure LE will rise to the occasion before everything is said and done...but I think they need to regroup and then let's see what happens.

Smoaky

Considering who Tatum lost to, I'm surprised they are not still #1. Gilmer would beat a few playoff bound 4A and 5A teams across the state.

KirtFalcon,

Yes, Gilmer is very good, and 3-A, BUT---when a team loses 71-28, they must drop...they'll creep back up...but there has to be some realism in the polls after 71-28.

Smoaky

Paris behind Pine Tree? I would argue that the Paris loss to state ranked Little Elm by 7 was more impessive than winning by 3 over Athens. Of course I'm biased. lol.

Good point, I debated that for awhile.

It's early in the season.

Smoaky

Bordertown,

It's weird not seeing LE in the Top 10, but I'm sure they'll return sometime soon.

HOWEVER, I really thought about this one.

So let's dig into their three games, and 1-2 record.

Their lone win is 28-0 against winless Center, the same Center who was just throttled by Tatum 55-2.

Their two losses are to 1-2 North Lamar, who hasn't won since upsetting LE during the opening weekend, and the North Lamar that just lost to 2A New Boston.

Their most recent loss, although to Class 4-A Greenvile, it was an 0-2 Greenville team with losses to Sherman and Denison who are a combined 3-3.

When looking at #8, #9, #10 in 3-A...there can easily be an argument for all of them.

I thought about dropping Brownsboro out of the Top 10, and even though they were blown out by Westwood, I didn't feel like dropping them from #4 to out of the poll.

Westwood deserved to be in the Top 10 with their impressive win, and especially since their only loss is to unbeaten Chapel Hill.

Spring Hill is a little shaky at #10---but their only loss is to Lindale, the same Lindale that just thumped previously unbeaten Rusk.

As I mentioned early, I'm sure LE will rise to the occasion before everything is said and done...but I think they need to regroup and then let's see what happens.

Smoaky

Smoaky,

Spring Hill lost to 1-2 Daingerfield

I was referring to your post stating that Spring Hill's only loss came at the hands of Lindale. I was not questioning Spring Hill at #10. I believe they deserve to be there.

Yea, you're right---typo--my mistake, I've corrected it...I think.

Smoaky

Smoak,

Just a shout out for 15-5A member Oak Ridge. They are off to a 2-0 start and they have a realistic shot at being 5-0 or 4-1 at worst heading into district play. The War Eagles were a 7-4 playoff team last year (after a 5-0 start....), losing to Klein Oak in the first round 41-21. I know last year was last year, but Oak Ridge surprised some folks down here.....beating College Park and Conroe. Should be exciting for the last three spots in 15-5A...Lufkin is a lock, but after that The Wood probably has a slight edge over equals OR, CP and Conroe. Magnolia needs a little help to get things rollin'......

Just thought I'd give The Ridge a little pump for your top 10......

Keep up the great work covering high school sports!!

the ol alma mater is off to a good start, dont be suprised these boys will give lufkin a good run for the money, by the way is magnolia still the war eagles nemisis?

<strong>Smoaky's Top 10's:</strong>

<strong>Class 5-A: (District 12-5A and 15-5A Only)</strong>

1. Lufkin (3-0)(Beat Nacogdoches 29-0)

2. Longview (1-1)(Did Not Play)

3. Tyler Lee (2-1)(Beat Dallas Kimball 3-2)

4. Conroe (3-0)(Beat Houston Westside 34-27)

5. College Park (3-0)(Beat Huntsville 45-7)

6. Mesquite (0-3)(Lost to Abilene 13-10)

7. The Woodlands (0-3)(Lost to GP North Shore 35-17)

8. John Tyler (1-2)(Lost to Desoto 66-12)

9. Mesquite Horn (1-2)(Beat Dallas Hillcrest 20-16)

10. North Mesquite (1-2)(Lost to Plano West 35-25)

<strong>Class 4-A:</strong>

1. Whitehouse (3-0)(Beat Mabank 42-21)

2. Texas High (1-1-1)(Lost to Shreveport Evangel 26-13)

3. Kilgore (2-1)(Beat Atlanta 34-7)

4. Pine Tree (3-0)(Beat Athens 33-30)

5. Paris (2-1)(Lost to Little Elm 24-17)

6. Henderson (2-1)(Beat Palestine 36-14)

7. Mount Pleasant (1-1)(Beat Hallsville 28-27)

8. Hallsville (2-1)(Lost to Mount Pleasant 28-27)

9. Sulphur Springs (2-1)(Beat Denison 56-25)

10. Nacogdoches (0-2)(Lost to Lufkin 29-0)

<strong>Class 3-A:</strong>

1. Gilmer (3-0)(Beat Daingerfield 35-12)

2. Royse City (3-0)(Beat Canton 49-9)

3. Pittsburg (3-0)(Beat Commerce 63-42)

4. Crockett (3-0)(Beat Shepherd 46-0)

5. Kirbyville (2-0)(Did Not Play)

6. Chapel Hill (3-0)(Beat Quinlan Ford 49-28)

7. Diboll (2-0)(Beat Cleveland 52-6)

8. Palestine Westwood (2-1)(Beat Brownsboro 55-21)

9. Brownsboro (2-1)(Lost to Palestine Westwood 55-21)

10. Spring Hill (2-1)(Beat Pleasant Grove 21-10)

<strong>Class 2-A:</strong>

1. Elysian Fields (3-0)(Beat Hooks 44-12)

2. Corrigan-Camden (3-0)(Beat Groveton 34-28)

3. Arp (2-0)(Beat Hemphill 21-6)

4. Tatum (2-1)(Beat Center 55-2)

5. Newton (1-1)(Beat Jasper 35-6)

6. Hughes Springs (3-0)(Beat DeKalb 48-20)

7. Winnsboro (2-1)(Beat Harleton 35-13)

8. Harleton (2-1)(Lost to Winnsboro 35-13)

9. Kerens (3-0)(Beat beat Scurry-Rosser 38-3)

10. Daingerfield (1-2)(Lost to Gilmer 35-12)

<strong>Class 1-A:</strong>

1. Alto (3-0)(Beat Burkeville 74-0)

2. Joaquin (2-0)(Beat Ore City 66-6)

3. Mount Enterprise (3-0)(Beat West Rusk 14-0)

4. Carlisle (3-0)(Beat Shelbyville 14-0)

5. Cayuga (3-0)(Beat Frost 70-0)

6. Groveton (1-2)(Lost to Corrigan-Camden 34-28)

7. Cushing (2-1)(Beat Union Hill 43-18)

8. Lovelady (2-1)(Beat Grapeland 17-9)

9. West Sabine (2-1)(Beat Garrison 28-20)

10. Tenaha (2-1)(Beat Timpson 44-14)

smoaky,

lets wager a live guest appearence on your radio talk show that tatum beats elysian fields by 10 points or more!

come on smoaky, what the heck tatum by 14 or more for a guest spot on the talk show!

you shouldn't have anything to be scared of, you have EF #1 and Tatum #4 or 5, you should feel secure with your standings. come on smoaky, take me up on this one, we love being the under dog.

come on smoaky, what the heck tatum by 14 or more for a guest spot on the talk show!

you shouldn't have anything to be scared of, you have EF #1 and Tatum #4 or 5, you should feel secure with your standings. come on smoaky, take me up on this one, we love being the under dog.

You wanting to place a bet on a high school football game is absolutely sickening.

Tatum, the underdog?

Who said they'd be the underdog?

I'm sorry, are the Eagles and Jackets playing this week?

No---so that game is irrelevant right now.

My Top 10's are based on current results, so when or if Tatum beats Elysian Fields, the rankings would change.

However---as much respect as I have for Tatum's football history, I don't think ANYONE from Tatum should be barking much right now, especially since the scent of 71-28 is still the air.

That's NOT a shot at Andy Evans, his staff, or the football players...but any Tatum fan who is already talking trash about anything.

Smoaky

You wanting to place a bet on a high school football game is absolutely sickening.

Tatum, the underdog?

Who said they'd be the underdog?

I'm sorry, are the Eagles and Jackets playing this week?

No---so that game is irrelevant right now.

My Top 10's are based on current results, so when or if Tatum beats Elysian Fields, the rankings would change.

However---as much respect as I have for Tatum's football history, I don't think ANYONE from Tatum should be barking much right now, especially since the scent of 71-28 is still the air.

That's NOT a shot at Andy Evans, his staff, or the football players...but any Tatum fan who is already talking trash about anything.

Smoaky

boy it must be nice to express your opinion without being worried about being accused of bashing someone, my "wager" with you is strictly fun not "serious sickening" as you put it, come on man get a grip, your comment about tatums 71-28 loss to gilmer shows you, like others, not andy evans or the tatum eagles and their fans, have not moved on from two weeks ago, i almost detect a little pleasure in your comment, maybe smoaky doesnt like the little successful school from tatum!

boy it must be nice to express your opinion without being worried about being accused of bashing someone, my "wager" with you is strictly fun not "serious sickening" as you put it, come on man get a grip, your comment about tatums 71-28 loss to gilmer shows you, like others, not andy evans or the tatum eagles and their fans, have not moved on from two weeks ago, i almost detect a little pleasure in your comment, maybe smoaky doesnt like the little successful school from tatum!

Yea, great thought...that's why I've been asked and have enjoyed MC'ing your last two state championship parade's?

Be reasonable.

My Top 10's are exactly that--mine..and you have a right to your opinion...and I really do appreciate them. But betting in any way on high school football is ridiculous.

Smoaky

once more there is one more thing on smoaky.com getting blown out of porportion, it was just a joke, ok i've been chastised by you and others, who weren't so bold to post reply here where everyone can see them, but it's ok, i will consider my hand slapped! carry on people, carry on!

I once argued with Smoaky for what seemed like weeks over the likelyhood of the greatest pitcher of all time to get first ballot election into the hall (Nolan Ryan). Since then I swore I would never agree with anything the man said again (I was for it).

That being said, hes spot on here, if anything hes got Tatum ranked too high after the drubbing they got from the team west of Diana.

We all know that Tatum sleeps through the first month or so of football before the magic takes over, but who knows when that magic is going to end? Could be this year, maybe next. I doubt it, but it could be....