#48 Johnson wins pole at Kansas

panther55dad

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Jimmie Johnson will start his next race at Kansas Speedway where he thought he should have finished the last one.

Ryan Newman's Dodge qualified second at 174.893 mph, but the car failed inspection because the roof was too low.

Newman will start Sunday's race from the back.

Chase Qualifiers

1. Jimmie Johnson 175.063

2. Matt Kenseth 174.283

4. Jeff Gordon 173.695

5. Denny Hamlin 173.684

8. Kyle Busch 173.483

9. Martin Truex Jr. 173.455

10. Clint Bowyer 173.338

12. Kurt Busch 172.916

17. Kevin Harvick 172.458

19. Tony Stewart 172.386

27. Carl Edwards 171.467

34. Jeff Burton 171.016

A. It's not at COT Race

B. Explain how a lower car makes you faster when you are trying for DOWNFORCE?

NASCAR is completely detached from it's owners and fan base. It's getting ridiculous! Next week, it will be Hendrick or Childress caught cheating--and a whole different group of people will be mad at Mike Helton. They can get in line behind me b/c I've been mad for years!

Oh...and JJ is back there with Newman now--cause he wrecked his car all by himself in practice and is now in the backup car!

A. It's not at COT Race

Response------My Bad. I had heard it was a COT race before I actually saw any footage.

B. Explain how a lower car makes you faster when you are trying for DOWNFORCE?

Response -------Depends on what type of downforce you are looking to get. I do not know if the roof was too low due to chassis adjustment, or by "chopping" it down. Usually, the lower the car is to the track the more front downforce you gain. Keeping air from going underneath the car will force the nose downward. I have noticed Rusty Wallace talking about how the Hendrick cars appear lower to the ground (especially the C'sOT) and how that makes the front of the car grip better which causes better turning capability. As for the roof, if they "chopped" it then that would allow more air to catch the rear spoiler causing more rear downforce. Does anyone recall the #48 at the Daytona 500 last year? They (and I might add the word creatively) devised a contraption with the weight jack sleeve to "lift" the back glass of the car when they screwed it downward to take air off of the rear spoiler. Picture an 18 wheeler truck with one of those air deflectors on the roof made to keep air from hitting the flat face of the trailer. Drop that deflector 1" or so and you will have more drag on the trailer (ie downforce depending on the angle of the face of the trailer).

NASCAR is completely detached from it's owners and fan base. It's getting ridiculous! Next week, it will be Hendrick or Childress caught cheating--and a whole different group of people will be mad at Mike Helton. They can get in line behind me b/c I've been mad for years!

Response-------Nascar is detaching itself from the OLDER fan base and replacing them with the younger generation two-fold. We have to just face the facts that this is the NEW Nascar. Like it or not. I disagree with several things they do, but if I want to watch Nascar I must put up with it. That or form a massive attack against Nascar by creating a boycott on all ticket sales and actually have 75% or more fan base support. That and somehow keep everyone from purchasing DuPont, Nextel/Sprint, Lowe's, Home Depot, FedEx, Alltel, Budweiser, Miller Lite, Target, etc. etc. etc products and/or services AND somehow affiliate these lacks of purchases to this boycott THEN we may get it OUR way. Until them we must simply pinch our nose and eat it!

I agree that someone else will be caught cheating. That is the foundation of Nascar. Rules "bending" is why Nascar is what it is today. No rules "benders" = No dominant teams(s) = lack of interest from sponsors and fans who do not have a dominant, product selling force to pull for = no or little money to run the teams = no Nascar. We have ourselves to blame for this. We pay the money to support this thing called Nascar. Whether it is through ticket sales or through product purchases. We demand our favorites to win. In my opinion we are getting exactly what we asked for!

Oh...and JJ is back there with Newman now--cause he wrecked his car all by himself in practice and is now in the backup car!

Response--------Look who is the new points leader! It is not about where you start but how well you cheat to get a good finish!

All in fun!