⚾ TYLER WILDCATTERS 1st GAME - On This Date (May 27th) In Baseball History ⚾

27MAY1994.jpg

MAY 27, 1994

For the first time since 1955, the city of Tyler, Texas fields a Professional Baseball team. At Beaumont's Vincent-Beck Stadium, the Tyler WildCatters lose their inaugural game to the Beaumont Bullfrogs, 6-5.

The Bullfrogs build a 6-1 lead after seven innings, only to see the WildCatters push across four runs in the top of the 8th to make the game interesting.

Tyler threatens in the top of the ninth as Lanny Williams (of Mineola) is hit by a Chris Delgiacco pitch with one out. Two batters later with two men out, Pat Woodruff slaps a hit-and-run single through the right side of the infield to put runners at the corners. Billy Norcross then strokes a hard-hit grounder in the hole that Bullfrog shortstop Vince Harris gloves & throws to second to force out Woodruff and end the game.

The photo above is the first pitch of the game (taken by your's truly!). The pitch from Bullfrogs starter Robert Lopez hit WildCatters leadoff hitter Ray Jackson.

05.27.94 Tyler-Beaumont starting lineups:

Tyler WildCatters

Ray Jackson, RF

Matt Cesare, SS

James Harris, 3B

Lanny Williams, DH

Ken Shamburg, LF

Pat Woodruff, CF

Billy Norcross, 1B

Derek Dana, C

Britt Bonneau, 2B

Jeff Brown, P

Beaumont Bullfrogs

Vince Harris, SS

Sean Davisson, 2B

Pat Dando, 1B

Marc Bailey, DH

Derric Coakley, CF

Brad Sigler, 3B

Robert Chancey, RF

Jorge Roque, C

Oscar Ramon, LF

Robert Lopez, P

• 2 years later...

In 1933, the White Sox score three in their half of the 8th inning to take an 11-3 lead against New York. The Yankees storm back with 12 runs in the bottom half of the 8th with Bill Dickey's grand slam the big blow. The combined total of 15 runs is a new AL record for one inning. The final reads 15-11, New York.

In 1974, the Pirates Ken Brett no-hits the Padres until the 9th inning, settling for a 2-hit 6-0 shutout in the first game of the doubleheader. In the nitecap, Brett's 2-run pinch hit triple gives the Bucs an 8-7 win.

In 1997, Seattle's reliever Norm Charlton walks Chuck Knoblauch with the bases loaded, as Minnesota caps a 6-run ninth-inning rally to win, 11-10. Seattle's collapse spoils a game in which Ken Griffey Jr. and Joey Cora each set records. Griffey hits his 23rd homer, breaking his own major league mark for homers through May, while Cora is 4 for 6 to extend his hitting streak to a team record 22 games. That ties the AL mark for switch-hitters.

Originally posted by Rhino2K4

I attended a game or two (Wildcatters) at Mike Carter in 1995.

I only missed three WildCatters games at Mike Carter Field from 1994-1997

Also from the Baseball annuls of 27 May:

May 27, 1964

El Paso Sun Kings' reliever Dave Turnbull enters the game in the second inning and retires 23 straight batters (all that he faces) to secure a 6-1 victory over the Austin Senators in a Texas League contest.

May 27, 1984

Umpire Pam Postema ejects 14-year-old Portland Beavers batboy Sam Morris from a Pacific Coast League contest when he refuses to retrieve a chair thrown on the field by Beavers manager Lee Elia. The Beavers lost the game to the Vancouver Canadians in 18 innings, 8-7.

I was at their second home game.

Also have been to many games at Vincent-Beck. My grandfather took me to some Beaumont Golden Gator games there, back when they were the San Diego Padres' AA Team. Saw Benito Santiago, Shane Mack and Ed Vosberg play for them.

Originally posted by Wildcat_20

Ken Shamburg....did he ever make it to the bigs

Nope -- he peaked at Triple-A (1990-1992).

He was a "replacement player" with the Athletics during Spring Training 1995 (before the player's strike ended).

I think I missed one or two home games the first year Tyler was in the league ... I believe they finished second that year, if I remember right. That's where Cheapy comes in.

I still attended very regularly over the next several years, but wasn't able to make it to as many Roughnecks games as I would have liked. They were always a lot of fun.

• 11 months later...
Originally posted by MantleLives4Ever

... I believe they finished second that year, if I remember right.

The WildCatters finished third in both halves of the 1994 season (second overall in the Texas-Louisiana League Eastern Division)

• 7 years later...
"<ahttp://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/thin_lizzy_1977/rodneymccray-1.jpg" border="0" class="linked-image" />

MAY 27, 1991

In a
that will be shown ad nauseam for years to come, Vancouver Canadians right fielder Rodney McCray crashes through the plywood right field fence of Portland's Civic Stadium, while attempting to catch a drive from Portland Beavers' third baseman Chip Hale.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...