Saturday Track Meets?

Pitt

I was reading an old post from last spring and came across one that was criticizing a school for having a track meet on a Saturday. What is wrong with actually having a meet on a Saturday with prelims and finals on the same day? Most meets don't even have prelims anymore and just run for time. That is unfair to the kids. Many coaches want to make it convenient so they don't have to "take up their Saturday" for a track meet. I like to have "my time" just like anyone else, but if your going to coach track..........then coach it. Hopefully there will be many good meets this spring in East Texas!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
For the distance runners, Saturday meets make for a lo---------ng day. Especially in out of town meets. Running the 3200m at 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning and then waiting around for 8 to 12 hours to run the 1600m.

It gives you more rest time. The long day is part of it. Its long for everyone. That is Track and Field.

It gives you more rest time. The long day is part of it. Its long for everyone. That is Track and Field.

3 hours is more than enough rest time for a distance runner.

Having Saturday meets with prelims would prepare runners for running prelims and finals in the same day. But, when does that happen? Not at district. Not at regionals. Not at state. The district and regional meets have prelims on day one and finals on day two. The state meet doesn't have prelims. Why subject athletes, coaches and meet workers to the long day just because that's the way it used to be done?

3 hours is more than enough rest time for a distance runner.

Having Saturday meets with prelims would prepare runners for running prelims and finals in the same day. But, when does that happen? Not at district. Not at regionals. Not at state. The district and regional meets have prelims on day one and finals on day two. The state meet doesn't have prelims. Why subject athletes, coaches and meet workers to the long day just because that's the way it used to be done?

There are some district meets that have pre-lims and finals on the same day. The point I was making from the beginning is that running sprints against time is not fair to the kids. Running prelims would put the fastest kids in the fast heat together. I have seen sprinters put in slow heats that shouldn't be there and therefore didn't run their best had they been running against faster kids. Running pre-lims would make for a little longer day but it would make it more fair to the kids. Distance kids can run in the morning go take a long nap and then run the 1600. I was a distance runner myself, so I have been there.

• 3 weeks later...
There are some district meets that have pre-lims and finals on the same day. The point I was making from the beginning is that running sprints against time is not fair to the kids. Running prelims would put the fastest kids in the fast heat together. I have seen sprinters put in slow heats that shouldn't be there and therefore didn't run their best had they been running against faster kids. Running pre-lims would make for a little longer day but it would make it more fair to the kids. Distance kids can run in the morning go take a long nap and then run the 1600. I was a distance runner myself, so I have been there.

This year with most of the district track meets the first week of april, having a few Saturday track meets with pre lims and finals may be a good idea for some school that mostly have Thursday - Friday meets. Without having any bad weather alot of teams wont run in no more that 4 meets before district and if you are at a small school and all the athletes(Boys/Girls) are in basketball and they go deep in the playoffs, you may have 2 meets and let's no forget spring break is in March. With TAKS and school starting later this year, things are just a little different and it will be 3 weeks instead of 2 between district and the Regional Track meet.