Region 21 UIL Marching Contest Results

etsc66

I sat through the entire competition until the Tyler bands. This has got to be the screwiest marching contest I've ever encountered in my many years of competitions. Bands who should have gotten first divisions got twos; bands who should've gotten twos and threes got ones. Weird, weird, weird. With all that said - contest is contest and we take what the judges give us. For those of you who care, here are the results. Congratulations to all!

1A - Cushing 3, 3, 3

Tenaha 1, 1, 1

Joaquin 1, 2, 2

Carlisle 1, 1, 1

Overton 2, 3, 3

West Sabine 2, 3, 3

2A - Garrison 1, 2, 1

Troup 2, 1, 2

Shelbyville 2, 2, 2

Arp 2, 1, 2

Winona 1, 1, 1

West Rust 1, 2, 1

Tatum 2, 2, 2 (BTW - where was that "awesome" low brass section that some of you said they had?)

Elkhart 2, 2, 2

Timpson 1, 1, 1

3A - Brownsboro 1, 1, 1

Athens 1, 1, 1

Hudson 2, 2, 2

Carthage 1, 1, 1

Center 1, 1, 1

Diboll 2, 2, 2

Westwood 2, 3, 3

Rusk 1, 1, 1

Palestine 1, 2, 2

Huntington 3, 3, 3

Bullard 1, 1, 1

Van 1, 1, 1

Chapel Hill 1, 1, 1

4A - Nacogdoches 1, 1, 1

Lindale 1, 1, 1

Whitehouse 1, 1, 1

Jacksonville 1, 1, 1

Henderson 1, 1, 1

Hallsville 1, 1, 1

5A - Longview 1, 1, 1

Robert E. Lee

John Tyler

There were a couple of close calls with the time limit. Longview finished its drill with 12.4 seconds left on the clock. Talk about cuttin' it close! Congratulations to Mr. Durham and Band!

Longview has always cut it close on their 8 minutes. When I was in band, there were times we were coming off the field as the time was hitting 0. Mr. Durham takes the 8 minutes seriously, and rarely has any time left on the clock at contest.

True, Mr. Durham has always cut it close, but I overheard Nick Durham tell someone that at Friday's rehearsal the band had gone over by 4 seconds. Everyone in the stands began to look at the clock at about 32 seconds. (There had been a couple of close calls with the time before Longview's performance.) There was an audible sigh of relief when it stopped. I have wondered if they cut out the final fanfare. Anybody know the answer to that one?

Congrats to the Roaring Band from Tigerland on thier first ever 1,1,1 ratings..Good luck at area. You have represented your school with great pride and look great...Way to go Tenaha Tiger Band.. :happy65:

This is the second consecutive year for Tenaha to make a first division! They have every reason to be extremely proud of their accomplishments!

I won't make any comments about who should or should not have gotten the ratings they received. What's done is done. However, I sat in the stands and was in the pressbox many times, and everyone seemed to making the same comments - no one could figure out what the judges wanted.

The problem seems to be that all the judges were corps judges - not one military judge on the panel. Another problem is that they were all big school directors. They just don't "get" the small school band concept. Most of them would never dream of putting 7th and 8th graders in their high school bands, but that is what most 1A and 2A schools have to do. Even small 3A schools will include 8th grade band students.

And then when you get to the big schools - why even look at the ratings? They'll all make ones, even though many of them have the very same problems that the small schools had - balance, tuning, not hitting the yard line the same, not putting their feet down together, getting separated if spread out, etc.

I'm interested in seeing if the small school bands will decide to break away and have their own contest as they had in the past. I don't want first divisions to be handed out just because they are small, but it should be a fair, consistent contest. I hope this panel is never asked to judge in Region 21 again.

• 1 year later...
I won't make any comments about who should or should not have gotten the ratings they received. What's done is done. However, I sat in the stands and was in the pressbox many times, and everyone seemed to making the same comments - no one could figure out what the judges wanted.

The problem seems to be that all the judges were corps judges - not one military judge on the panel. Another problem is that they were all big school directors. They just don't "get" the small school band concept. Most of them would never dream of putting 7th and 8th graders in their high school bands, but that is what most 1A and 2A schools have to do. Even small 3A schools will include 8th grade band students.

And then when you get to the big schools - why even look at the ratings? They'll all make ones, even though many of them have the very same problems that the small schools had - balance, tuning, not hitting the yard line the same, not putting their feet down together, getting separated if spread out, etc.

I'm interested in seeing if the small school bands will decide to break away and have their own contest as they had in the past. I don't want first divisions to be handed out just because they are small, but it should be a fair, consistent contest. I hope this panel is never asked to judge in Region 21 again.

I am not so sure that the judges were all Corps . You can look them up on the net. What I found when looking was a series of repeat judges over the last 5 or so years for sure. Quite often the same judge from concert and SR judges the next fall for marching ??? I did not see that pattern in anyother region when I looked as a matter of fact staticticaly over 62% of all judging in Region 21 UIL band was by teh same 11 judges over the last five years. I wonder of that makes it realistic . They are humans and can not go into it without preconceived notions or at least a memory of the past years. So if all continues the same we will see this panel of judges again.! To calrify it is not the same exact judging schedule but the same ones keep rotating in and out .

I am not so sure that the judges were all Corps . You can look them up on the net. What I found when looking was a series of repeat judges over the last 5 or so years for sure. Quite often the same judge from concert and SR judges the next fall for marching ??? I did not see that pattern in anyother region when I looked as a matter of fact staticticaly over 62% of all judging in Region 21 UIL band was by teh same 11 judges over the last five years. I wonder of that makes it realistic . They are humans and can not go into it without preconceived notions or at least a memory of the past years. So if all continues the same we will see this panel of judges again.! To calrify it is not the same exact judging schedule but the same ones keep rotating in and out .

Check the date. My comments were about the 2007 marching contest. This year we had two military judges and one corps.

• 11 months later...

The use of the same judges over and over again is so obvious it is not even funny. The state level folks really need to get involved there are no other regions in the state following this ridiculous format. As a matter of fact most take painstaking efforts to make sure it does not happen. Anyone else concerned about this??

I checked into this and found the same results as the previous poster .

Congrats to the Roaring Band from Tigerland on thier first ever 1,1,1 ratings..Good luck at area. You have represented your school with great pride and look great...Way to go Tenaha Tiger Band.. :happy65:

NO TENAHA HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR VERY FRIST 1,1,1... tHIS IS THE SCEOND TIME THEY HAVE WNET TO AREA & I BELIVE THAT THEY WILL GO ALL THE WAY THIS YEAR!! BEACUSE OF WHAT I HEAR THEY ARE REALLY ON FIRE DOWN THERE IN TENAHA, TX... BUT WE WILL ALL SEE THIS COMEING SATURDAY... BUT FORM WHAT I HEAR TENAHA WAS THE BEST 1A & 2A BAND THERE AT THE COMP. JUST WHAT I HEAR!! SO THEY MUST KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING BEACUSE I SEE THERE BAND GOING PLACES THIS YEAR & I ALSO BELIVE THAT TENAHA OUT MARCHES CARLISE BUT DO THEY OUT PLAY THEM THAT IS KINDA IFY....