Gilmer Ranked #41 in the Nation according to MAXPREP.com

chniggy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rankings don't mean doodley squat! They're for entertainment purposes only (unless you're in the NCAA Division I). They're fun to look at, but I don't buy into rankings at all, especially with a true playoff system in place. I don't remember anybody giving out state championship trophies for being ranked. The games still have to be played ON THE FIELD and any championship trophies and/or rings have to be EARNED.

Rankings don't mean doodley squat! There for entertainment purposes only (unless you're in the NCAA Division I). They're fun to look at, but I don't buy into rankings at all, especially with a true playoff system in place. I don't remember anybody giving out state championship trophies for being ranked. The games still have to be played ON THE FIELD and any championship trophies and/or rings have to be EARNED.

So why Rank'em

Ludicrous.......until you have to try and beat em.

To believe Gilmer is the #41 team in the nation, you would have to believe they belong in the top 4 or 5

in 5A division in Texas at the very least. There's a difference in being a homer & being dillusional. Gilmer was

eliminated in the 1st round last year in 3A. I doubt that they are any stronger this year. But....they are definitely

a player for the 3A title.

No it was definitely not aimed at Gilmer. I would have had the same response if Copperas Cove, Highland Park,

Waco, or any of a hundred other teams that are good had been elevated to that level. I've seen years where a

4A power could compete with an elite 5A, but I don't see it this year at all. That goes double for this year's 3A crop.

Of course it is ludicrous that any 3A team would be ranked ahead of any 5A team in Texas. People doing these ranking have never seen those teams play.

However, you are making a tragic mistake if you do not think Gilmer is a stronger team this year than they were last year.

I think Gilmer is MUCH better this year than last, but they still have to make believers out of some of us by winning ON THE FIELD and not in polls. I still don't think these rankings are valid because there's too much disparity between the different classifications. Larger numbers mean more depth of talent. By that, I mean deeper (more) talent coming off the bench, not to mention just plain depth which means very few, if any, players going both ways. While some think Gilmer could hang with most of those teams with larger numbers, the depth factor alone would eventually catch up with them. I would prefer to see their rankings broken down a little more along the lines of classification and/or numbers instead of grouping them all together. Like I've said before though, rankings are fun to look at but............

i think they are overrated, again. the past two years they have been rated in this position and never made it past the first round of the playoffs with a win. keep in mind this years ball club had thier offense shut down the entire second half of the game by a 2a school ( daingerfield)

Guest ScoutsOut

Some of you must not pick games nationaly or have ever done any research on how these things work. Course it is just easier to pop off with an uninformed opinion and try and defend it based on what has happened in the past. Here's your signs!!....Power rankings are based on formulas, doesnt mean the team ranked could beat the team that isnt, just means based on those formulas if you were to have to pick a team, especially with an over or under the power ranking should give you some insight (Vegas Babby)!!...One reason why Francionne at A&M is so not loved in Vegas right now. If Gilmer is ranked that high, my guess is that its based on an power ranking formula...if its not then hand me my sign cause thats my opinion on this subject.....

Lets make a correction Kev. Gilmer was not beaten in the first round in 2005. They lost to Canton in round 2 after beating Daingerfield in round one 42-32, in what would become Daingerfield's last foray into the playoffs at the 3A level.

I miss the days when Daingerfield was a competitive 3A team. Seems like I remember 1st round playoff losses of 45-0 in 2003 to Gilmer and a 1st round loss to Gilmer in 2005 42-32. In between, they managed to go 3 deep in 2004 before getting slaugtered by Tatum 45-14. Then they manage to sctratch to 4-6 at the 2A level. We are witnessing the decay of a once proud program whose fans are now finding joy in scoring a meaningless second half touchdown in a 35-12 game against what no longer can be considered a rival. Very shocking and sad.

To believe Gilmer is the #41 team in the nation, you would have to believe they belong in the top 4 or 5

in 5A division in Texas at the very least. There's a difference in being a homer & being dillusional. Gilmer was

eliminated in the 1st round last year in 3A. I doubt that they are any stronger this year. But....they are definitely

a player for the 3A title.

I second that they are good but not top 41 in the nation come on now, if they not ranked #1 in 3A an no other team in 3a above them is on the list how credible is it??

i think they are overrated, again. the past two years they have been rated in this position and never made it past the first round of the playoffs with a win. keep in mind this years ball club had thier offense shut down the entire second half of the game by a 2a school ( daingerfield)

What was the final score of that game when Gilmer was shut down in the 2nd half? Who did gilmer beat in the first round in 2005 in the playoffs?

I dont think its that hard to see HOW Gilmer got ranked like that but I see no problem in everyone disagreeing with it. Like everyone is saying yes they are undefeated and they are a very good 3A school but how do you compare them to 5A schools? My guess is recruits. There are 2 kids from Gilmer playing in the Army All American game. Not the Oil Bowl. The big one. Every year Gilmer sends numerous kids to D-1 schools. Big D-1 at that... Texas, OU, A&M, K-State. Could it be a product of the system? Sure why not.. everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But if it is a product of the system thats some really good coaching. I have no idea what maxpreps reasoning was behind ranking them but this would be my guess