🔒 UIL REALIGNMENT MEGATHREAD 🔒

SptsEd

I do not mind 2 state champions from each class but I would do it this way, after top 2 teams in each district are decided , statewide seperate the top 32 enrollments for D1 and the bottom 32 for D2, then you would never have the D1 school smaller than the D2 school , which has happend in past, you may end up with schools from the same district in same division , but so what !

Another opinion and I really like this best 3 teams from each district , first place team gets bye and each class has ONE STATE CHAMPION

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bear_Den
I do not mind 2 state champions from each class but I would do it this way, after top 2 teams in each district are decided , statewide seperate the top 32 enrollments for D1 and the bottom 32 for D2, then you would never have the D1 school smaller than the D2 school , which has happend in past, you may end up with schools from the same district in same division , but so what !

Another opinion and I really like this best 3 teams from each district , first place team gets bye and each class has ONE STATE CHAMPION

I agree with one state champion from each class.

Sabine currently has about 395 kids in the HS

The reporting date is Oct. 23rd I believe. In the 05 realignment 3A bottom was 415. So, they would have to gain an increase of over 20 students in the next week OR UIL would need to lower the bottom, in order for them to remain 3A.

I am from Gilmer and the last i heard we were 50 or 60 kids away from the old number from moving back to 4a so i seriously doubt we will be in 4a.

Currently 4A starts at somewhere in the 900's. Acording to the UIL enrollment numbers Gilmer only has 669 students. I have no idea if this is true. If it is, Gilmer would be a very long way from the current mark. I do not know what the old mark was. I saw several enrollment numbers that did not look right to me. They were mostly in 4A around the Houston area.

The 445 number is pretty close. Thats only about 30 over, but its enough more than likely to push them back to 3A. The 100+ increase was for all 12 grades. I look for the top of 2A to move up 10%.

Kirt looks like Garrison might have Mart to contend with if they drop. But if they do drop. Most 1A schools have a volleyball team.

Having sat through the UIL open meetings yesterday (I was presenting a proposal), I listened to a couple of proponents of the new 5A big school/small school proposal speak. They were very well prepared and did a good job, however, the questions directed to them from the council lead me to believe it will NOT happen. If I was a betting man, that would be where my money would go.

Also, 3A spring football was proposed by the THSCA and that did not seem like it was very well-received either. I think 3A baseball and baseball teams making the play-offs make this an unlikely addition since there is so much sharing of athletes between these two sports at the 3A level. THSCA gave poll numbers from 3A football coaches showing that they favored it by a wide margin, but when they asked DW if 3A baseball coaches had been polled for their opinion, there were a number of chuckles and the tone seemed to be set.

In the houston area, look for New Caney & 7 Lakes to go up to 5A and the following "new" schools going into 4A - Magnolia West, Spring Dekaney, Kingwood Park. Also, Magnolia HS MAY come back down to 4A.

The other question is the new Baytown school (Memorial). It will be 4A but it could also knock one or both other Baytown schools down to 4A also.

Other than that, nothing should change in Houston unless a 4A school right at the bottom gets passed by the number but I don't know who that would be.

Based on the numbers I've heard on Garrison, they probably won't drop this time unless the cutoff goes up at least 10-15.

You are right KF. Looks like Garrison is over by several. But I dont see a volleyball team in the future be it 1a. 2a or no a. Seems the only one that is concerned with this is "sackof"

I think the big issue is travel. Some of the west Texas schools would be split into 2 districts requiring them to all have district games in the metroplex and the panhandle schools having district games in Abilene. Also, same kind of problem in East Texas and Beaumont. Then you would also have school districts with 2 - 8 schools in them split into 2 athletic districts instead of 1. Causes some scheduling nightmares, not to mention subvarsity games on Thursday where you might have to travel for hours AFTER the game on a school night.

The UIL is going to use the new numbers from this week to put together "sample" districts to show what would havce happened if they had done it so that they can address the issues that pop up and how they might be fixed so that this can become a reality in 2010 or maybe it will show that the problems are too big to fix.

BTW, this is only being considered for 5A. All other conferences have the 2 to 1 ratio in enrollment. 5A exceeds that with the mega schools like the Planos, Allen, etc

If I read Smoaky's report on the website correct, UIL is considering letting 4 teams make the playoffs. Isn't this carrying the item of political correctness a little too far. Teams with a losing record can make the playoffs, just win 2 district games, and your in. I understand with UIL it is all about $$$, but, come on isn't this being carried a little too far. Pretty soon, it will be every team in the district go to the next level. Their case being we can't have 4 teams make it and not the other team, or two teams depending on the size of the district. Plus, more games, longer seasons, carry over into other sports.

Maybe I am wrong, can someone help me rationalize this?

• Like 1

I understand the travel issue and quite frankly it is not much different in East Texas for schools like Lufkin. Many of the these mega-schools such as the Midland/Odessa area are a victim of their own greed for athletic success by having a larger pool. If the larger 5A schools do not like the travel, they can fix the issue (open new schools). I do agree the districts do need more than 2 years to plan. I think they should comment to a plan today to be implemented in 2012. Let the buyer beware.

No matter what you do, the windshield time will still be huge.

How is Palestine's enrollment looking? Are they in 3A to stay? Also, will Waxahachie be able to stay in 4A for 2 more years or will they be thrown into 5A, making it more difficult to keep the crazy streak of 18 consecutive playoff appearances.

The Total Day's Membership on the ADA report today is 877.5. I'm not sure how that factors into enrollment purposes for UIL.

How is Palestine's enrollment looking? Are they in 3A to stay? Also, will Waxahachie be able to stay in 4A for 2 more years or will they be thrown into 5A, making it more difficult to keep the crazy streak of 18 consecutive playoff appearances.

I thought Midlo and Hachie would both go 5A but it looks like Hachie will probably be on the bubble, eventually landing in 5A. If they do go 5A and in the SW Dallas suburbs district then they will have a huge challenge before them. Unlike what they have been experiencing.

• Mr. P locked this topic