crandall versus athens

usedtaspike

It won't be Athens....and it won't be close either...Crandall is very very good this year

Athens shut down their outside hitter and it was all over. Don't count them out against LE this Saturday in Commerce. White Oak should easily handle Bullard and the Van/Gilmer game will be the game of the week.

Athens shut down their outside hitter and it was all over. Don't count them out against LE this Saturday in Commerce. White Oak should easily handle Bullard and the Van/Gilmer game will be the game of the week.

Athens should handle LE

White Oak rolls

Gilmer takes Van

Athens is ranked 16th according to the last TGCA Poll - their district includes 1st place Van (ranked 11th) and second place Bullard (14th). Is Athens' district that good, or is the poll that far off? Crandall was not ranked- LE (district champ) is not ranked.

Do third place teams make it past the area round (third place playing a first place)?

If Athens beats LE that will validate the TGCA poll for me.

I will definitely be at that game.

Bullard split with Athens and defeated L.E. fairly easily in the Marshal tournament. LE may have improved a lot since then but having played Athens twice recently, I can say they are a good team. I think 14-3A had three good equal teams. Bullards run may not last long as they meet White Oak next, but It wouldn't surprise me to see either Van or Athens make it to the regional finals.

The TGCA poll is a joke

They obviously rank on reputation more than actual play this year

Joke is harsh - are all of the ranked teams in Area play? I was a little suspicious, but with first through third place teams advancing from one district... who knows? If I remember correctly, Athens, Van, and White Oak were both eliminated in the first round (Bi-District) last year. They have moved up significantly this year. Of course, the rankings don't ensure victory - which is why the playoffs are so fun........

crandall played without a starter who is an outstanding athlete. she has a staph infection and was unable to play. kudos to athens

The TGCA poll is a joke

They obviously rank on reputation more than actual play this year

The poll does consider history & rep, but Athens hasn't been ranked in

years! The coach is also making her debut, & is only 2 yeard out of college... They have @ least 3 great athletes, (article in Tyler paper - "two is definitely better than one..." re: Crandall game.), 1 going to play VB @ a DII school & 1 has a DI softball ride -

Lots of great games this weekend!