Gilmer vs LE

clawsnstripes

who wins it?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. who wins it?

• Gilmer
    • LE

Good grief I know LE was good last year but they are down. They have ONE kid who is a threat. If we can't handle him then we need to get beat. I get so sick of playing this game "Oh there so good it will be close." Bull. We are better and we will hammer them. No EXCUSES! We should have beat them last year. We had no one to blame but our selves. But this year things will be different. There was no team in our district on the same planet with us talent wise. And LE does not match up either.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Buckeye fan all the way, but Liberty Eylau is the best 5-5 team in the history of Texas playoffs. Don't be fooled by their record. Last year they were slaughtered by Atlanta in the last game of the regular season, but we all know what happened in the playoffs. They can disquise how good they are by just barely getting by in the regular season. I think they have 14 returning starters from last year's state championship team. If you want to see a great game you'd better be in Lobo Stadium Friday night. Buckeyefever says they have one kid who is a threat. Not so. They have four players who can score from any place on the field. LaMichael James is all everything. Liberty Eylau probably has more overall talent than any team in 3A. I still think the Buckeyes will win. But LE's 5-5 record is totally meaningless.

Good grief I know LE was good last year but they are down. They have ONE kid who is a threat. If we can't handle him then we need to get beat. I get so sick of playing this game "Oh there so good it will be close." Bull. We are better and we will hammer them. No EXCUSES! We should have beat them last year. We had no one to blame but our selves. But this year things will be different. There was no team in our district on the same planet with us talent wise. And LE does not match up either.

Wow ......tell us how you really feel! :happy65:

I'm a Buckeye fan all the way, but Liberty Eylau is the best 5-5 team in the history of Texas playoffs. Don't be fooled by their record. Last year they were slaughtered by Atlanta in the last game of the regular season, but we all know what happened in the playoffs. They can disquise how good they are by just barely getting by in the regular season. I think they have 14 returning starters from last year's state championship team. If you want to see a great game you'd better be in Lobo Stadium Friday night. Buckeyefever says they have one kid who is a threat. Not so. They have four players who can score from any place on the field. LaMichael James is all everything. Liberty Eylau probably has more overall talent than any team in 3A. I still think the Buckeyes will win. But LE's 5-5 record is totally meaningless.

No where close to Gilmer's!!!!!!!!.....You have to be kidding me!

Okay, here it goes. Why LE will win.

1) Team speed. A team with enough speed on defense can stop a spread offense. That's why you don't see the spread run in the pros. LE's got lots of team speed, and that could negate a lot of Gilmer's offense.

2) Depth. LE (and if either team plays them, Royse City) have so much depth that they can continue to rotate kids in on a regular basis and keep them fresh.

3) LaMichael James. In the past, fast running backs have caused problems for Gilmer. If James has a big day and keeps drives alive by turning 3 yard gains into 7 yards games, LE could win.

Now, Why Gilmer will win.

1) Offensive line. The biggest, best O line in 3A. If they dominate the game, they could win.

2) Improved Defense. Gilmer is better on Defense this year. If they shut down James, Gilmer should win.

3) More offensive choices / weapons. The absence of Devane Clark will hurt, but Gilmer still has a lot of weapons on offense.

Who will win? I'm not crazy enough to predict that. These are 15-18 year old kids. This is a game where all kinds of things can happen. One team could get the momentum and blow the other out. It could turn into a slugfest. Last year I was shocked and numb when Gilmer lost. But I hope I'm smart enough this year to realize this is a GAME played by high school students.

So Gilmer wins 49-28. At least I hope so. As long as Gilmer is in the playoffs I can postpone cleaning my garage.

not exactly true....they lost in overtime to atlanta 20-17, but everything else looks pretty accurate

Okay, here it goes. Why LE will win.

1) Team speed. A team with enough speed on defense can stop a spread offense. That's why you don't see the spread run in the pros. LE's got lots of team speed, and that could negate a lot of Gilmer's offense.

2) Depth. LE (and if either team plays them, Royse City) have so much depth that they can continue to rotate kids in on a regular basis and keep them fresh.

3) LaMichael James. In the past, fast running backs have caused problems for Gilmer. If James has a big day and keeps drives alive by turning 3 yard gains into 7 yards games, LE could win.

Now, Why Gilmer will win.

1) Offensive line. The biggest, best O line in 3A. If they dominate the game, they could win.

2) Improved Defense. Gilmer is better on Defense this year. If they shut down James, Gilmer should win.

3) More offensive choices / weapons. The absence of Devane Clark will hurt, but Gilmer still has a lot of weapons on offense.

Who will win? I'm not crazy enough to predict that. These are 15-18 year old kids. This is a game where all kinds of things can happen. One team could get the momentum and blow the other out. It could turn into a slugfest. Last year I was shocked and numb when Gilmer lost. But I hope I'm smart enough this year to realize this is a GAME played by high school students.

So Gilmer wins 49-28. At least I hope so. As long as Gilmer is in the playoffs I can postpone cleaning my garage.

yeah u are right about gilmer o-line. They seriously look like a D-1 university o-line. if they dominate the game, then stump might as well bring a lawn chair with him in the pocket

it'll be interesting to see what LE does. they do run from the spread some but try to stick to a conventional I-formation and split back type set. but they also have that "red cat" formation similar to what arkansas runs with with their backs. gives james a few options with the ball when they run it. but i think the key to this game will be if LE can get pressure on the gilmer QB and backfield. LE's defense is going to have to play pressure defense and force gilmer into some 3 and outs which for the most part nobody has been able to do all year. LE has been streaky at best with their play this season. atlanta suprised them in the 1st half last week and caught them napping and they didn't get rolling until the 2nd half. if they make that same mistake again friday night it's going to be a long night with a nasty fireworkd display on the gilmer side of the scoreboard.

It's not that I think LE can't win. Here is the reason why I think they won't win.

Over a 10 game period,

Pentalties = 86 for an average of 8.6 per game

Yards from Penalties = 609 for an average of 60.9 per game

Fumbles = 38 for an average of 3.8 per game

Interceptions thrown = 5

I wish I knew how many touchdowns were called back

LE has talent, i don't dispute that at all. LE could shock Gilmer again. But, if you think about all of the momemtum busters these stats add up too, it is mind boggling how they are in the playoffs. If LE plays its best game all year, then they can pull the upset. It is playoff time however, and you have to be able to play quality ball. LE hasn't done that IMO.

Turnovers and penalties will kill your chances in a ball game. Gilmer knows that from last year's game.

I am a realist and not a hater of LE. I graduated from LE so I'm cheering them on.

It's not that I think LE can't win. Here is the reason why I think they won't win.

Over a 10 game period,

Pentalties = 86 for an average of 8.6 per game

Yards from Penalties = 609 for an average of 60.9 per game

Fumbles = 38 for an average of 3.8 per game

Interceptions thrown = 5

I wish I knew how many touchdowns were called back

LE has talent, i don't dispute that at all. LE could shock Gilmer again. But, if you think about all of the momemtum busters these stats add up too, it is mind boggling how they are in the playoffs. If LE plays its best game all year, then they can pull the upset. It is playoff time however, and you have to be able to play quality ball. LE hasn't done that IMO.

Turnovers and penalties will kill your chances in a ball game. Gilmer knows that from last year's game.

I am a realist and not a hater of LE. I graduated from LE so I'm cheering them on.

LE almost had the same stats last year during the regular season and they played perfect against Gilmer and won. If history repeats itself LE will win again. However if they do beat Gilmer they will not make it to the championship.

I've just gone through a week and a half of torture. I could sign on to any website on the internet, "other" than Smoaky.com. For some strange reason, it just started working again as if by magic this morning. How strange.

Ok, about the game tomorrow night. It just couldn't get more exciting for any fans than this game. What an anticipated rematch!!! And what little prognostication skills I may or may not have won't matter much at all concerning this game. I think this is going to be one of those "could go any way" kind of games. And let me explain my thinking.

First off, neither of these teams are "can't lose" kind of teams. The Buckeyes are "anything but" unbeatable. We are a "good" team. We won't be a "great" team unless we go deep into the playoffs, and/or more importantly, win State, "IF" that is in the cards for us. And the problem with that is, we will more than likely have to play two of the most talented teams within the first three weeks of the playoffs, if we make it that far. That would be LE, and Royce City. It's been assumed we would play Royce City the second week, when in fact, it would be week three. Week two would be the winner of the Athens/Mabank game. Beating LE, and Royce City would be a tremendous accomplishment. And we can't count out Athens or Mabank,, but have to take it one game at a time.

I don't think last years LE/Gilmer game has any bearing on this game at all. First of all, we are both different teams. We're both still good teams, but the comparisons stop there. I totally believe as some have stated already, that Gilmer is a better team than last year, and we were good enough last year to win the game, but we were outplayed, and lost. We lost Curtis Brown and GJ,, but this years team has a different makeup all the way across the board. Better disciplined, better defensively, less one demensional on offense, and better leadership on the field. I don't really know about LE even though I've heard scouting reports, and I've seen some film, but for several reasons, it's hard to know how they will play friday night. Losing Middlebrooks, and his leadership, and what he brought to their team in the kicking game is huge. But James has another year of experience under his belt, and they have a lot of kids coming back. So this really "is" going to be two different teams playing this year.

LE has a good and fast defense, Gilmer's is much improved. So will it be a lower scoring game than last year? Who knows. Three things always influence who wins or loses big games. #1, who is the most focused, better prepared, and plays that way during the game. #2, who wins the turnover battle. #3 who makes the fewest mistakes, in other words, who has the fewest penalties at inopportune times. It's true, that sometimes, the better team, even if they play better during the game, does not win. It's true that sometimes the team that has the fewest turnovers does not win. And it's true that the team that has fewer critical mistakes at crucial times, does not win. But if you win two out of these three situations, your chances of winning go way up. I don't know who is going to win this game, and wouldn't even guess, but what I do know, is it's going to be fun finding out.

I don't know if LE has any injury problems or not. But from what I hear, somewhere between three and five of Gilmer's starters might not play, and a couple that may play have some pretty substantial injuries. Hopefully that won't affect the outcome of the game. It should not be used as an excuse, even if it does, because when you face adverse situations, others just have to step up their game, and take up the slack. And I think all of the Buckeyes would tell you that same thing. And I'm sure that after ten games, LE's probably got their share of bumps and bruises themselves.

What I know is it should be a whale of a game. What I 'hope' is that no one gets hurt, and that the better team friday night wins the game. Of course I hope that "better team", is the Buckeyes. Good health to both teams, and I hope the Bucks play their best game of the year,, and get a few breaks as well. LOL This hype, is as good as it gets, hopefully the game will live up to it.

i think the biggest missing link in all this for LE is obviously middlebrooks. his punting/kicking/qb/leadership will be sorely missed tomorrow night. i'm rooting for the leopards, but it will be a huge task for them

yeah your right, middlebrooks was a beast. i still cant believe he had a foot on him like that. hard to believe that he is already rich.

all i have to tell you is that the Buckeyes are very mentally prepared, and very serious about this game, they will come to play the best game we have seen them play in probably 2 years. They will suprise alot of people

the leopards are both physically and mentally prepared as well...should be a good game