Need help! Who are the top JUCO baseball programs?

ETSU40

The best are what are called Division I Jucos San Jac, Blinn, Grayson, Navarro, etc. TJC used to play in that conference they then dropped down to become a Division III Juco in baseball and D III Jucos do not give scholarships. They have done much better since dropping down kind of like Brookhaven in the Metroplex. D I Jucos in Texas and Oklahoma are some of the best. California does not compete in baseball in the NJCAA they have their own league. The Conference Tournament winner from the Navarro and San Jac conference the one all of the D I Jucos play in is so tough they dont have to play another round to go to Grand Junction they atuomatically get a bid, the other conferences have to play a Regional series, like Grayson has had to play Trinidad, CO a few times on their way to the JUCO World Series. Grayson and North Central go west and south to play they are not in with the East TX schools. North Central in Gainesville won a national championship a few years back, Grayson has won two, San Jac has won a few, Northeast won one, McLennan in Waco has won a couple, and Blinn and Navarro are always very good. In Oklahoma, Seminole is a perennial power, Eastern is usually ok, and Connors State is usually very good as well. There are a lot of places JUCO wise to play those are just some of the ones with the most success lately. Go to NJCAA.org to look at the conferences.

I would like opinions on who is considered some of the top JUCO baseball programs around Texas.

Coaches, tradition, success, facilities, etc......

I assume you are talking about Div. 1 JUCO programs which give scholarships as opposed to Div. 3 Juco programs that do not. Having played Juco ball in 2002-2003 @ North Central in Gainesville I am a bit biased having to say that they are the best. You sure can't beat their facilities, recent success, and coach. Copy and past this below to see north Central. http://nctc.edu/Athletic_programs/baseball...lfacilities.htm

But here is my best assumption after having played througout the JUCO ranks, and now a fan of it of what I think would be the top 7 quality programs in the state.

East Division: Texarkana, Navarro

West Division: Grayson, North Central, and as of late Temple

South Division: Blinn, San Jac

MGCCC Baseball

Ten recruits step up to the plate for Bulldogs 2008 baseball team

The Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College baseball team spent the latter part of the 2007 season ranked No. 2 in the nation, and the team chalked up an impressive 39-13 record. Head coach Cooper Farris eclipsed the 600-win plateau early in the season, and his 2007 team won the MACJC South Division title for the second year in a row and qualified for its 19th consecutive appearance at the Region 23 Tournament.

Now it's time for an encore performance in 2008.

Farris is hoping his 20 returning sophomores can blend with 10 incoming freshman to create another strong team this spring.

The returning group features Jeremy Davis, who led the 2007 squad in hitting with a .464 average and 36 RBI's. Also returning is Tyler Henry, who batted a cool .455 in '07 to go along with a 5-2 pitching record and 2.39 ERA, pitchers Chance Adams (2-0, 2.23 ERA) and Mark McKinley (3-1, 1.90 ERA), who earned a college record 13 saves out of the bullpen in 2007.

Farris said the main goal for this group is to learn how to win at the right time. After a rocky 8-6 start, Gulf Coast went 28-3 down the stretch to finish the 2007 regular season at 36-9 and a perfect 16-0 in South Division games. However, the Bulldogs ran into a hot East Central team at the state tournament and ended up finishing second behind the state champion Warriors. Then at the Region 23 Tournament at Meridian, Gulf Coast lost an opening round battle with Itawamba, defeated East Central, and lost to home-standing Meridian.

"These guys now understand that the difference between being good and great is winning in the post-season," Farris said. "We went 3-4 down the stretch, and that's not going to get you anything but a quick trip home."

He's also hoping his 10 new freshmen will contribute this spring.

"It's a good group," Farris said. "We went out and accomplished our needs with this class. We lost our catcher and first baseman. We got help at those positions."

Leading the Bulldogs' class of 2007 is Harrison Central catcher Andrew Van Etten.

"Playing community college baseball just up the road from home is always a good thing," Van Etten said. "Being at Gulf Coast tops it off for me."

Matthew Bennett (St. Martin), Jarrod Cannette (D'Iberville), and Andrew Evans (Ocean Springs) are the Bulldogs' other infield signees.

"Gulf Coast has a great winning tradition," Cannette said. "I'm glad to be part of the team. It's a chance to keep playing."

Evans said playing at Gulf Coast is literally a dream come true.

"It's exciting because I can continue to play college baseball," he said.

Bennett gets a chance to continue a family tradition at Gulf Coast, which ran the table in 2007 with a 16-0 record in the MACJC South Division.

"All of my cousins played for Coach Farris at Gulf Coast," Bennett said. "They enjoyed playing there and for him. They all wanted to stay for four years, not two."

Gulf Coast also landed four new pitchers that will replenish a staff that had a 2.36 ERA and held its 2007 opponents to a .211 on-base average.

Preston Necaise (Harrison Central), Zac Craven (Oak Grove), Hunter Farrar (Columbia Academy) and Craig MacKay (Long Beach) all hope to see action at Gulf Coast in 2008.

Craven was 6-0 with 53 strikeouts for the Class 5A state champion Warriors. Farrar chalked up 84 strikeouts at Columbia. Necaise posted a 5-2 record with 70 strikeouts with the Red Rebels, while MacKay went 8-3 at Long Beach with a 1.90 ERA and 71 strikeouts.

"We added some pitching," Farris said, "because you can never have enough strong arms on your team. We've got two left-handers that will keep our opponents off-balance at the plate next year."

Moss Point's Skylar Burks should see action at Gulf Coast as a pitcher and outfielder. In 2007, he hit .374 with four homers for the Tigers.

Guest slapshot

Gotta go with history and I mean history, I was a part of it way back when.

1. San Jac, nuff say ed

2. Temple JC

3. Ranger JC

4. Blinn JC(first astroturf infield around '72)

5. Panola JC(don't know anything since Griffin and crew)http://www.jucogj.org/halloffame/plaques/griffin.html

6. Grayson County JC

7. Texarkana JC(I didn't play against 'em, they B new)

8. Galveston JC(same as #7)

#2 and #3 are interchangeable IMHO.

If you want to go national, gotta add Miami Dade. It been a while so they might

not even still be there.

1. San Jac, nuff say ed

2. Temple JC

3. Ranger JC

5. Panola JC(don't know anything since Griffin and crew)http://www.jucogj.org/halloffame/plaques/griffin.html

6. Grayson County JC

not even still be there.

RANGER????!!!! you must have been out of the game a while. In 02-03 they were the laughing stock of our conference. They were the team we set records against. They were absolutely horrible. However if my history is right, I believe in the 80's they were very good. i.e. : Ellis Burks who donated money for the current feild to be named after him.

1. San Jac, nuff say ed

2. Temple JC

3. Ranger JC

6. Grayson County JC

not even still be there.

National =

MGCCC Baseball Coaches Profiles

Coach Cooper Farris Cooper Farris - Took over from Father who won 756 games 15 state titles and 22 South State titles, various World Series appearances, Regional victories.

head coach

[email protected]

• MGCCC head baseball coach since 1990

• MGCCC Career record 533-277-1 (now over 600 win)

• 11 South State titles, 13 state tournaments, 15 regional tournaments

• Two state championships

• Two regional championships

• One World Series berth

• Two MACJC Coach of the Year awards

• Two Region 23 Coach of the Year awards

• One Eastern District Coach of the Year award

• Cape Cod Baseball League Champions, 2001 and 2002

• Cape Cod Coach of the Year, 2001

• Shenandoah Valley Baseball League Champions, 2000

The Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College baseball team spent the latter part of the 2007 season ranked No. 2 in the nation, and the team chalked up an impressive 39-13 record. Head coach Cooper Farris eclipsed the 600-win plateau early in the season, and his 2007 team won the MACJC South Division title for the second year in a row and qualified for its 19th consecutive appearance at the Region 23 Tournament.

Now it's time for an encore performance in 2008.

Farris is hoping his 20 returning sophomores can blend with 10 incoming freshman to create another strong team this spring.

The returning group features Jeremy Davis, who led the 2007 squad in hitting with a .464 average and 36 RBI's. Also returning is Tyler Henry, who batted a cool .455 in '07 to go along with a 5-2 pitching record and 2.39 ERA, pitchers Chance Adams (2-0, 2.23 ERA) and Mark McKinley (3-1, 1.90 ERA), who earned a college record 13 saves out of the bullpen in 2007. Gulf Coast went 28-3 down the stretch to finish the 2007 regular season at 36-9.

Mississippi Junior College history (previous record was 756 held by Ken Farris/retired from Gulf Coast).

Ken "Curly" Farris' (Gulf Coast) record (756) for most wins in Mississippi Junior College history on April 6, 2004.

Also, Meridian Community College, Pearl River Community College

Connors State is usually very good as well

Have never heard anyone down in these parts mention Connors State. I played there in 89-90. Coach Keith has quite a resume himself even though he is a horses butt. Very strong nationally. Been in the top 10 for the last 20 years or so at one time or another throughout the season. Been to the JUCO world series twice in the last few years. When I was there we had 5-10 guys from Texas, few from California, Puerto Rico, New York, Arkansas and the rest from OK. Now he recruits Canada pretty heavy. This would probobly be one of the stronger programs year in and year out.