gilmer game plan

68Hornet

Gilmer beat Liberty-Eylau and Mabank using big line and Johnson. They should have known about windy conditions and better plan would have been running the ball. Fourth down gambles backfired, too. Looks like Liberty Hill coaches simply outcoached their opposition. I also heard someone say something about qb hurting thumb last week. The Gilmer coaches were saying his thumb was hurt after L-E game and that's why he didn't throw much. Gilmer was truly a great high school football team, but a few individuals spoil it with their excuses. Just admit it, Liberty Hill was by far the superior team.

According to today's Austin American-Statesman, 21 attempts, 13 total rushing yards.

I watched the Mabank and L-E gamefilms and Gilmer ran the same offense against us as they did in those games. The difference is that we shut down their running game and their screen package, forcing Gilmer to resort to just heaving it up downfield. In both of those games, Stump dropped snaps, so you can't blame that all on his thumb. In those games, however, he was able to pick them up and run for big gains. Last night, we were on him so quick that he didn't even have time to fall on it on one occasion.

Gilmer wasn't the only team banged up. Our HB dislocated his knee cap in practice before the Pleasanton game and played the last two games with his knee braced and heavily taped. Our FB has been battling a high ankle sprain since the last couple of weeks of the season, and has come out of every game since because of it. I can understand excuses in a close game, but when you get beat by four tds, what kind of excuse can account for that type of scoring differential?

I also heard someone say something about qb hurting thumb last week. The Gilmer coaches were saying his thumb was hurt after L-E game and that's why he didn't throw much.

The quarterbacks thumb being hurt had zero to do with the outcome of this game. That's just a very lame excuse put up by those that make excuses. The Gilmer QB played a pretty good game with good accuracy. There were numerous drops by his receivers, passes that looked very catchable. The LH defense played outstanding and simply whipped the dog out of Gilmer's "#1 line in the state." :happy65: I believe that's what I read the Gilmer head coach as having said.

That Traylor-logic early cost the Bucks...going for it twice on your side of the 50 in the FIRST QUARTER!!! This isn't Playstation coaches...This is what happens when you are overconfident and underestimate your opponent. If Gilmer really thought that LH was any good they would have punted and made them go the field. To me you show no confidence in your Defense by going for it that many times in your own territory. This same logic almost cost the Bucks against Velt a few weeks back and this time it did cost them.

That Traylor-logic early cost the Bucks...going for it twice on your side of the 50 in the FIRST QUARTER!!! This isn't Playstation coaches...This is what happens when you are overconfident and underestimate your opponent. If Gilmer really thought that LH was any good they would have punted and made them go the field. To me you show no confidence in your Defense by going for it that many times in your own territory. This same logic almost cost the Bucks against Velt a few weeks back and this time it did cost them.

I don't get paid to coach, and I can't even begin to know enough about football to make me even resemble an expert. But, why would it make MORE sense to punt INTO the wind gusts last night? For what? So we "go the field" for an additional 20 yards, because that's about all a punt into the wind would've netted. Not to mention the "return" factor. Not only are you showing a lack of respect for Jeff Traylor and the program he has built over the years, you are also showing a lack of respect to BOTH teams on the field last night. :rolleyes:

I don't get paid to coach, and I can't even begin to know enough about football to make me even resemble an expert. But, why would it make MORE sense to punt INTO the wind gusts last night? For what? So we "go the field" for an additional 20 yards, because that's about all a punt into the wind would've netted. Not to mention the "return" factor. Not only are you showing a lack of respect for Jeff Traylor and the program he has built over the years, you are also showing a lack of respect to BOTH teams on the field last night. :rolleyes:

i don't think it was a matter of the wind. i think they'd done it all year and got away with it.

LH could tell them what they were going to run and they still couldn't have stopped it

Seems strange to spend all that time practicing then. Why try so hard on making it difficult for the defense to see who has the ball if you could just tell them who and where and still not be stopped?

What happened to "you won't know who has the ball" theory we heard so much before the game? Hindsight is usually 20/20, but you still have your purple colored goggles on.

LH plays their style of offense, and plays it well, because it is very hard to see who has the ball which gives you that 6yd average to keep moving the chains and score. It works exactly opposite of what you are proclaiming. LH knows there are a lot of good defenses out there, and I'm sure they would prefer to keep the location of the ball and the direction of the play to themselves as long as possible.

Hindsight is usually 20/20, but you still have your purple colored goggles on.

Looks like the poster that made this comment is a Tyler area poster...doubt he is wearing the purple goggles. His point was pretty much right on. The defense simply was not in the game, and if Gilmer knew where the ball was going it would not have mattered, they were getting out played...blocking and tackling.

Gilmer should make no excuses....That had to be the worst performance by gilmer this year by far....we were out coached...out played...and just didnt seem like we wanted it. All my congrats go to LH for a great game and outstanding season.

you are the 1st Gilmer fan i've seen ever to say ya'll were outcoached. but to be honest i'd bet your coach knew going in he probably didn't have a chance in this game. he knew everything would have to go their way. as good a team as Gilmer is LH was simply heads and shoulders above them.

you are the 1st Gilmer fan i've seen ever to say ya'll were outcoached. but to be honest i'd bet your coach knew going in he probably didn't have a chance in this game. he knew everything would have to go their way. as good a team as Gilmer is LH was simply heads and shoulders above them.

Yeah, well our coach on IMO did not make some very smart decisions. LH had the perfect game plan i think..."run it down our throats"...and It worked. Maybe if we wouldnt have gone for so many 4th and 5's we might have had a better chance.

Traylor has had the best athletes on the field the last two years in 3A.

Yeah, well our coach on IMO did not make some very smart decisions. LH had the perfect game plan i think..."run it down our throats"...and It worked. Maybe if we wouldnt have gone for so many 4th and 5's we might have had a better chance.

i admire you for admitting that. none of your fellow posters have so far. i'm sure he felt they had to go for those 4th downs but you don't do it in the 1st qtr. when you are ahead. it doesn't take a coach to figure that out. he is a gambler and most of the time it pays off but he wasn't playing someone in his district yesterday. i think had he made a few more of those 4th downs LH would have still won but doing it so early and not making it set the tone for the game. Gilmer lost the momentum they had and i'm sure it took some of the wind out of his players sails. like some others have stated it was probably an ego thing.

So you think that a coach with all that d1 talent and undefeated going into the game thinks he doesnt have a chance! Gilmer fans can get on your nerves but a few of you LH posters are non stop.

So you think that a coach with all that d1 talent and undefeated going into the game thinks he doesnt have a chance! Gilmer fans can get on your nerves but a few of you LH posters are non stop.

1st of all i'm not from LH. also if you'd read all the post leading up to the game you'd seen where everyone who had seen LH play predicted them to take it to Gilmer. so i'd bet your coach watched film on LH and he saw what those who had seen LH play saw.

Sounds like Coach Traylor did what he has done all year long. If he went for several fourth down tries, he is just following his game plan, the same plan that won Gilmer all of those games this year. I would not blame the coach for the loss. I would give credit to Libety Hill for figuring out how to stop all of those "previously successful" fourth down attempts. I am sure Coach Traylor's shoulders are big enough to carry the burden of the loss for the entire team. But I think that burden should be shared by assistants, players, parents and fans. Yes, even parents and fans have to share in the burden. Don't you think 16, 17 and 18 year old boys feel bad enough about losing the State Championship. I believe it is time for the parents and fans to step up and congratulate thier football team and their coaches on a job well done.