Patriots Conspiracy....HMMM

After watching the Patriots "SURVIVE" the New York Jets, I began to turn into Mel Gibson from the movie Cospiracy Theory. The Jets, clearly inferior to the Pats did everything right in that game. They played the Perfect Pats to the very end. However, while watching that game I harkened back to a few weeks ago when the Pats "SURVIVED" the Baltimore Ravens. I began to see similarities in the officiating. Every call went New England's way. And then there was the TD that wasn't. If memory serves me right, the Patriots beat the Ravens on a TD in which Jabar Gaffney was bobbling the ball as he went out of bounds. Yesterday, Justin McCarriens catches a ball in the back of the endzone and much like Gaffney's catch the ball was moving around in his hands. However, this time the call was reversed and the Jets were denied their points. This made me scratch my head and realize I had a bump on it that I previously was unaware of, but that is a different issue alltogether. But I began to ponder the most dangerous question in the world....What if? What if the Patriots were down by ten with less than three minutes on the clock and Randy Moss caught a pass in the back of the endzone and the ball was clearly moving...would it be a TD? Or what if the Patriots were driving down the field and every call went the other teams way?

It seems to me that the NFL has christened the Patriots as their most beloved. I usually don't like to pose conspiracy theories but I do find the last few weeks of watching the Patriots play that there is a pattern that is starting to develop. Late in the game, the Patriots will not lose! It has be decreed by the NFL that the Pats will go undefeated and in a league that demands that their players be perfect in how they conduct themselves and play the game, the league wants a Team Posterchild of perfection...

Was there a second gunman on the grassy nole? Is there a Loch Ness Monster? Was Jimmy Hoffa killed by the government? Is the NFL playing by the rules? Who knows...It will be interesting to see how the calls go when the only other Perfect Franchise comes to town...If I was a gambling man, the Dolphins, the team that knows how to lose close games will make a play late in the game and it will be reversed in favor of the Pats and the Pats will stay perfect in a very close game. Now that I have posted this I am sure that someone will be coming for me and I have said too much. I have lived a good life and I will miss all of you. Tell my mom that I love her. Good Bye.

Everybody hates a winner!

Who said anything about hating the Pats? I don't hate New England. I just find it funny that the calls always go towards their favor. I find it odd that the same play call that went in their favor and helped them beat the Ravens went against their opponent two weeks later...it just looks bad.

I've been hard on the Patriots and their royal treatment by referees, but I don't believe in conspiracies. The Gaffney touchdown looked like a catch to me. The McCarens ball did not.

However, if you were going to build a case, you could focus on much more than these plays, or even beyond the controversial PI call against the Ravens. If we just looked at the Jets game, you could bring up the false starts against the Patriots. These Patriots have gotten away with many of these plays in prior games, but the Jets actually managed to get the refs to call this (jumping up and down, pointing and screaming seemed to do wonders). There's been many games where the line has gotten away with this by pretending to listen to an audible, even when there isn't one. During one play in the Philly game, the center actually moves the ball, brings it back, and listens for an audible that's a 'go' from Brady. The Jets get the calls here, even if it took some handwringing from the refs for a bit.

I've got an absurd number of plays I've seen on tape where offensive lineman for the Pats quite blantantly tackle pass rushers or grab them from behind and pull them down, either by the neck or by horsecollar. In sporadic watching, I only spot one such play in the Jets game. The Jets get away with the same in the 4th quarter. In the Dallas/Baltimore games, the Pats get away with many of these.

There are various other plays, like blocks in the back, offensive/defensive pass interference, and the like. The Maroney catch-and-run that sparked the Pats winning drive against the Ravens was only because Stallworth got away with a blantant block in the back on Maroney's defender. ESPN showed it many times.

The list of these plays would be stout ammunition in your fight against any conspiracy. Two points that go against you are bad ref calls that fall into the 'just dumb luck' category. Every team gets these that often help them win games; the Cowboys have gotten a few themselves. It could be the Pats are just the luckiest team in the league, and not just with limited injuries and a horribly weak schedule.

The other point would be that Moss is called for offensive pass interference pretty often, and correctly. No evil conspiracy would dare to flag Moss, would they?

At any rate, this is what painstaking VCR work and too much free time have gotten me.

If memory serves me right, the Patriots beat the Ravens on a TD in which Jabar Gaffney was bobbling the ball as he went out of bounds.

This heres your problem. By rule it was not a bobble. He did not bobble it. He had control with fingertips. He did not have palmation. Everyone says "bobble" but they are using the wrong term. The rule is not define detailed enough to reverse the call on the field. I imagine this will get looked at before next year. Had the call been incomplete on the field the same would have happened.... no reversal due to a rule that needs to be more detailed. We will see what happens. Look for the term "control" to get a makeover this winter.

...as far as cheaters go.

hey, I won't stand for someone calling a team that Wes Welker plays for cheaters. The Dolphins were "stealing signals" from the Patriots last year which was the last regular season game the Pats lost, everybody did it, it's an overrated issue and the fact of the matter is, the Patriots are 2 touchdowns better than every team in the league if both teams are playing their A game..... #### though and I hope they get beat by the 'Boys in the superbowl

Stealing signals even goes far from the NFL.

There are coaches in the high school level that steal signals. For example, 1 school that is out of state literally put in the scouting report, "Can we steal the signals." Defensive Coaches that play against no huddle teams typically try to crack the code of numbers as well as figure out hand signals and motions.

For what it's worth, Patriots have shown that they can win whether smash mouth or air raid a defense to death. Quit knocking a team for your ignorant thoughts of saying refs helped... you disgrace the game by saying that.

A great team beats their opponent and ignores what calls the refs make.

hey, I won't stand for someone calling a team that Wes Welker plays for cheaters. The Dolphins were "stealing signals" from the Patriots last year which was the last regular season game the Pats lost, everybody did it, it's an overrated issue and the fact of the matter is, the Patriots are 2 touchdowns better than every team in the league if both teams are playing their A game..... #### though and I hope they get beat by the 'Boys in the superbowl

Welker played for the Dolphins last year...

Look at these stadiums...anyone could hide a video camera in the roof infrastructure that is remotley operated and spy all day long. The patriots coaches and front office cheated..not the players.

All teams have the same technology available to them. Pleez.........try another excuse and look for another view of the cheating angle. They all do it. This is a big business and don't think they all are not pressured to keep up with the "Jones'z" !!

your right..they all have the technology and they all do it...it is too easy.

So......why did they try to make such a big deal of it.

Answer.......because every other team in the NFL has lost games this season and they are collectively trying to come up with any possible way to derail the Pats.

To go 16-0 ~ there are going to be some breaks along the way....In no way do I think there is a bias from the league...Officials are human ~ they will miss some calls ~ happens on every football field in America from pee wee to the pros...Related to the two passes in question; I think given the current league rules related to a catch that they got both calls right....As fans we always see the calls that do not go the way of our team ~ Coaches have a responsibility to remain focused on things beyond their control and players must have the discipline to play through such calls/ or no calls ~ In most cases it isn't a bad call or lack of that beats a team but rather the teams response to such...How teams respond to adversity seperates the great from good and the good from bad.....

Who said anything about hating the Pats? I don't hate New England. I just find it funny that the calls always go towards their favor. I find it odd that the same play call that went in their favor and helped them beat the Ravens went against their opponent two weeks later...it just looks bad.

I do! I hate them!! Their qb is a prettyboy jerk, and the coach is smug, no personality, sweatshirt wearing..person!(didn't want to offend) And bleeds is right..they are cheaters!