Best 3a Drumline

that1guy

Ok, I am a supporter of the L-E drumline. I never went to school there though. But, I know some people from there. I guess that's why I try backing them up on the hating remarks. But, thats your opinion on what you think of L-E. But, for you to know what a real drumline sounds like, I would love you to see what dr. west and hodge puts us through at tcu. So don't come at me about what I need to learn and hear. By the way, check on your spelling buddy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said! :happy65:

Seriously? You guys should appreciate the time and effort military bands put in, at SH we practice marching 7 in the morning till 9 then after school 5-8 every day, except thursday and friday, and the perc. find a way to practice at other times. obviously you havn't been part of a military band. I mean it's not just TOO hard to move around the football field facing the stands running or walking very akwardly in little shapes . I've been a part of both, Military > corp.

All I know is that on November 2nd me and my drumline are gonna be on our way to San Antonio and the LE drumline is gonna be chillin at the house, because instead of spending time practicing "crunk" beats, we are spending time practicing cleaning and perfecting our complex show music.

ATL!

Atl is probably the only corp band ive seen in person that i like, NL just made me mad at area.....

Does anyone else find it entertaining that all the military schools try to have these silly drumline battles after halftime but you don't see this done amongst corp bands?

I think I know the reason...or at least partial reason. Corps drumlines don't have time to sit around and practice stupid cadences and prepare for drumline battles...they are too busy practicing their show music. Which usually consists of more than just up-beats and closed rolls...and usually contains 1 or more metric modulation.

As for who has the best 3A drumline...the best I saw was Canton. A good drumline is more than one that can play booty shakin' cadences.

As far as drumline battles, I seen my 1st one @ the Gladewater / Bullard game. Never seen Gladewater do it before, so not sure who started. Thought it was fun for the kids in the band though. Looked like both schools, had fun!!

And as far as the Military Marching Bands. I love them!!! I prefer them over, the other bands. I dont get into all the weird chinese, samurai sword fighting, dances they do. ( Are whatever all that wierd hand and legg motions those are.) it just doesn't have anything to do with marching to me. It should be more of a dance show, @ halftime. Even though I feel all the students are very taltented, and give their heart & soul for thier band and their schools. Thats the most imporant! No matter if they are "booty shakin' " or " Doing a Chinesse Waltz " !

However, that is my opinion, just like you gave yours! :getlost:

Seriously? You guys should appreciate the time and effort military bands put in, at SH we practice marching 7 in the morning till 9 then after school 5-8 every day, except thursday and friday, and the perc. find a way to practice at other times. obviously you havn't been part of a military band. I mean it's not just TOO hard to move around the football field facing the stands running or walking very akwardly in little shapes . I've been a part of both, Military > corp.

Be careful what you admit to... Read and Heed.

Marching Band Eight-Hour Rule (Revised May 5, 2008)

Since 1997 the UIL has limited practice outside the academic school day for marching band and auxiliary components to eight hours per calendar week. The Student/Parent Acknowledgement Form came from a recommendation made by the UIL/TMEA Marching Band Study Committee after many months of research and deliberation. The form was created to enlighten students and parents regarding the specifies of the 8-hour rule as it applies to marching band. The form can be found on the music page of the UIL web site.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/music/eight_hour_qa.html

Are you really practicing that much?

FutFan is right..............you might want to add up your hours again. One band in this town got busted a few weeks ago. If it is reported to UIL.........BIG TROUBLE. midnight Sun to Midnight Sat.........a full 7 days for 8 hours.........And I see you are saying 15 hours in 3 days............WOW.

I think Liberty-Eylau has a outstanding drum line.

You are Obviously from Liberty Eylau and I along with UIL would have to say you are wrong. It is pretty easy to play a "booty shaking" cadence. When yall can demonstrate some rudimental knowledge and get past unison bass lines and play something with substance then maybe you can be considered as an OK drumline. Also maybe you will get better ratings in the percussion caption.

Wow.. Get reall! What you just said is bologna!!! They are nothin like that mess on drumline. THey are just as clean, technical and disciplined as any other drumline in 3a. Put them up against whoever drumline your with and see what happens. HAHA :w00t: Plus for u to be HATING on them, by saying they are not respected in the drumline field, thats is uncalled for. No body else would say that but a HATER!! And how does a drumline not play notes! TALK WHAT YOU KNOW!!! And if your referring to them not reading music, get reall. Listen to all of the difficulty in the music they play.. I doubt a drumline that good cant read music. And don't get me wrong, ive seen Paris lately and they are not the cream of the crop either. But they are pretty good.

How can you possibly say LE is a good drumline? Also I have seen first hand that they are very much so like the "mess" on drumline. I have seen them come on the field and try to start a drum battle...they fell apart. Also I happen to think that Paris is an outstanding drumline, as well as Canton

• 3 weeks later...
Be careful what you admit to... Read and Heed.

Marching Band Eight-Hour Rule (Revised May 5, 2008)

Since 1997 the UIL has limited practice outside the academic school day for marching band and auxiliary components to eight hours per calendar week. The Student/Parent Acknowledgement Form came from a recommendation made by the UIL/TMEA Marching Band Study Committee after many months of research and deliberation. The form was created to enlighten students and parents regarding the specifies of the 8-hour rule as it applies to marching band. The form can be found on the music page of the UIL web site.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/music/eight_hour_qa.html

Are you really practicing that much?

Well, our band director went right up to the limit earlier in the season, and he realized it, and shortened the hours by 2, but marching season is over, and we never had any problem with the amount of practice

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
One year and over 60 posts later. No more hints. The best line is Lorena. Thanks for playing.

You guys need to get out to contests more often. Have a nice day.

well i think the whole "best of" you guys do in here a lot of the time is flawed mainly because 1/2 the people that post on here only see what they see in East Texas. The guy who said that Paris has the best drumline in 3A hit it on the money. Paris actually goes to the lone star classic in marcus and has won it before.....

sorry to say....but Paris has not been in the advanced group at lone Star. Paris, Canton, Argyle do not go up against the big dogs. The only Paris Lorena head to head I can recall is 2005 Houston WGI regional The Lorena MIDDLE SCHOOL beat them in prelims and finals. middle school mind you. The high school has the 2 maybe 3 best snare players in the state of Texas ( with Lone Star PDLC and Pasic to back it up.) Name a 3a that has outscored Marcus, Colleyville, Georgetown, Cedar Park, the past few years. How about EVER? This is from one of the other texas boards

The top (Fred Sanford) excellence in percussion award contenders

1. University of North Texas 95

2. Texas State University 92.75

3. Texas Christian University 92.6

4. Lorena HS 91.5

5. Colleyville Heritage HS 91.15

6. Marcus HS 90.75

7. Cedar Park HS 89.75

sorry to say....but Paris has not been in the advanced group at lone Star. Paris, Canton, Argyle do not go up against the big dogs. The only Paris Lorena head to head I can recall is 2005 Houston WGI regional The Lorena MIDDLE SCHOOL beat them in prelims and finals. middle school mind you. The high school has the 2 maybe 3 best snare players in the state of Texas ( with Lone Star PDLC and Pasic to back it up.) Name a 3a that has outscored Marcus, Colleyville, Georgetown, Cedar Park, the past few years. How about EVER? This is from one of the other texas boards

4. Lorena HS 91.5

6. Marcus HS 90.75

7. Cedar Park HS 89.75

nice...i always forget about WGI...ive only seen Lone Star scores from a couple of years...who teaches percussion for Lorena anyway?

4. Lorena HS 91.5

6. Marcus HS 90.75

7. Cedar Park HS 89.75

Does Lorena even have a band? or is it a percussion only type of set up?

the Lorena band is fun but not tip top. Area judges did however give the drumline a perfect 200/200 score. I have never seen that before. One judge wrote that this was the best line he had ever seen. I work with many lines from Austin to Dallas, and this is one of them, along with other staff members that help for free. Most of the staff are area drumline instructors, and X members.

This is how to figure out what line is on the score sheets.

Lorena = MS

Lorena B = MS

Lorena A = Mixed MS/HS

Lorena HS = Mixed MS/HS sometimes HS only

Lorena PASIC = HS

Lorena TCGC/WGI = MS sometimes PSO

If in doubt... its a middle school score, as you can see the MS is much more active, and is the reason why the HS players become so advanced. One of my favorite shows is the 2005 MS wgi. Now that was fun. Look it up on TouTube. HSMSLorenaDlines

• 2 weeks later...
There's a difference in what we play on the field, and what we play in the stands, and we are a COMPLETELY different line in the stands than we are on the field. And tonal bass drums aren't everything in cadences,

As most military band percussion sections are different while not on the field. And tonal bass drums aren't everything, but they sure make things more interesting and it really raises the competency level of the players involved.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow.. Get reall! What you just said is bologna!!! They are nothin like that mess on "Drumline".

I saw Liberty Eylau's show on TV during the KLFI broadcast. They marched their opener, and sounded pretty good, even if the song was the from "Drumline" (It was the second song from the show they marched in the classic.) A few interval problems, but hey, who doesn't in the first few shows! Good look especially with the freshman coming in, to keep it together. :thumbsup: