...For all that went wrong this year...UT gets 10 wins...

SmokieCrabtree

...i was guilty of complaining like some other horn fans...but there are many teams in the country that would like a 10 win season....much less 7 straight 10 win seasons...we are also 6-1 in our last 7 bowls... we lose 1 starter on offense and replace some players on defense with better, younger players....after the asu game i feel good about next year.... :zorro:

So be proud of your non-BCS win.

It definitely feels better to me than a non-BCS loss, but like you said it's all relative. In your reality a loss might just be OK.

Are you proud of your coach?

A. At least we have one.

B. His record at UT is what it is.

C. Not too many better.

D. While I always prefer perfection, realistically, he's pretty darn good.

What else ya' got?

...10 wins used to mean something when teams played 10 or 11 games, now some play 14...

Count me also as unimpressed with the whole "10 wins in a season" streak. I'm not saying that Mack Brown isn't a good coach, nor that he hasn't done a consistent job at UT... but 10 wins nowadays seems almost, well, arbitrary.

As was mentioned elsewhere, there was a time when college teams played 10 or 11 games, and a Bowl if they were invited. A ten win season with those parameters would obviously mean that you only lost one or, at most, two games in a season. But what if you played 14 games? Does a 10 win season mean near as much?

What exactly seperates a 10-4 team from an 8-4 one? or a 9-3 one for that matter? Do some early season creampuff wins mean more than, say beating your rival? Or winning your division, and/or your conference?

Obviously it doesn't, but I am just wondering why so many are touting this "10 win in a season" streak as much as they are.

I suppose people just like to make the most out of any accomplishment... regardless of how arbitrary it might seem to someone on the outside.

Count me also as unimpressed with the whole "10 wins in a season" streak. I'm not saying that Mack Brown isn't a good coach, nor that he hasn't done a consistent job at UT... but 10 wins nowadays seems almost, well, arbitrary.

As was mentioned elsewhere, there was a time when college teams played 10 or 11 games, and a Bowl if they were invited. A ten win season with those parameters would obviously mean that you only lost one or, at most, two games in a season. But what if you played 14 games? Does a 10 win season mean near as much?

What exactly seperates a 10-4 team from an 8-4 one? or a 9-3 one for that matter? Do some early season creampuff wins mean more than, say beating your rival? Or winning your division, and/or your conference?

Obviously it doesn't, but I am just wondering why so many are touting this "10 win in a season" streak as much as they are.

I suppose people just like to make the most out of any accomplishment... regardless of how arbitrary it might seem to someone on the outside.

I agree with your general premise, but the reason it has been "touted" this much is because only two other teams in the history of CFB have had a longer streak of 10 win seasons. Stoops, Carroll, Spurrier or any of your other big name coaches out there cannot make this claim. As far as the cream puffs go, UT does not play any more CP's than any other school.

...but the reason it has been "touted" this much is because only two other teams in the history of CFB have had a longer streak of 10 win seasons..."

I concede that it is certainly an accomplishment of note, especially considering that even Brown's contemporaries have not equalled this feat - albeit sharing the modern advantage of more games per season.

As far as the cream puffs go, UT does not play any more CP's than any other school.

Granted, I only mention it because wins over cream puffs are counted as wins. ;)

...it is a big deal or more teams would be doing it... texas has done it 7 years straight...guess what?...no other team in the country has 9 wins for 7 years straight right now...we are talking about 10-3 this year...many teams would love to have that record right now...it says that ut is consistently good year after year...just to prove how good it is look at this... :zorro:

Consecutive 10-win seasons, current streak:

3: Ohio State, West Virginia

4: Virginia Tech

5: (none)

6. Southern California

7: TEXAS

Consecutive 9-win seasons, current streak:

3. Florida, Ohio State, West Virginia, Penn State (TBD)

4. Virginia Tech, Boston College, Auburn (TBD), Wisconsin

5. LSU

6. Georgia, Boise State, USC

7. (none)

8. (none)

9. (none)

10. TEXAS

We are VERY proud of our coach. Let's see here what he has accomplished:

1) National Championship

2) Conference Championship

3) Multiple 10 win seasons

4) Strict disciplinarian

5) Best recruiter in college football

6) Avid supporter of all sports at UT

7) NO NCAA violations

8) Has some of the best kids playing pro football

Now on the fair side of it all, Mack Brown has had his issues in Austin. He wore the tag of the best coach to never win a conference championship. He made some very bad decisions regarding Chris Simms and Major Applewhite. He went through a rash of incidents with kids getting in trouble with the law and he had a few who flat out did not go to class and were soon asked to leave.

I hate to see Texas play the likes of Arkansas State or Univ. of NT or any of those cream puffs as folks like to call them, but when you get right down to the truth of the matter, Texas has had no choice BUT to schedule those games. Nobody else will play them on the D-1A level because they do not want to get beat early in the season.

Yes, let's not kid ourselves - if anyone thinks their program is "pure" or that their coach is truly a "strict disciplinarian" obviously hasn't been anywhere near a real major college program.

Sure, some programs play the margins a little wider than others - but the truth is that major college programs are like any other multi-million dollar edifice in this country.

"If men were angels, no government would be necessary."