Hawaii

Guest bleeds

Guest bleedsbluengold24

While I realize the game is not over at the time I'm posting this, I think Georgia has put to rest all those claims that Hawaii should be given a chance to play for the NC, given their record this season.

I am now reminded of the difference between playing in the WAC and playing in the SEC. This game got ugly real fast :no:

So were you reminded of the difference between playing in the Pac10 and playing in the Big 10 with USC's trouncing of the Illini?

Guest bleedsbluengold24
yeah but i don't think Hawaii is as bad as they are showing tonight

Or maybe they are and no one knew it because of the weak conference they play in.

That bad or not, they've been hyped all season as this great team that can contend. That is obviously not the case, just as I had suspected.

Or maybe they are and no one knew it because of the weak conference they play in.

That bad or not, they've been hyped all season as this great team that can contend. That is obviously not the case, just as I had suspected.

I was saddened but not surprised!

Guest bleedsbluengold24
I was saddened but not surprised!

It actually played out just about like I thought it would. I grew weary of all the Hawaii hype a long time ago. I knew they could play against teams from a powerhouse conference like the SEC.

I knew they could play against the SEC's bowlers but I had NO DOUBT they would not have a day in paradise. Book-em, Danno ! Hawaii could not beat Mississippi State let alone one of the other 7 teams in the conference that would send them back to Rainbow-lala dreaming.

Hey Rainbow warriors, play just one of these teams. How bout Florida, Tennesse, Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU or Alabama and stay undeafeated. Aloha !! Geaux get em !!

Guest bleedsbluengold24
I knew they could play against the SEC's bowlers but I had NO DOUBT they would not have a day in paradise. Book-em, Danno ! Hawaii could not beat Mississippi State let alone one of the other 7 teams in the conference that would send them back to Rainbow-lala dreaming.

Hey Rainbow warriors, play just one of these teams. How bout Florida, Tennesse, Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU or Alabama and stay undeafeated. Aloha !! Geaux get em !!

Are you trolling? :w00t:

There was never a doubt in my mind they couldn't beat Mississippi State and I will take your assertion of such as affirmation that other sports savvy types feel the same. The dawgs have beaten four ranked teams (either at the time they played them, shortly before or shortly after) and beaten them (Auburn, Alabama, Kentucky and now UCF in the Liberty Bowl) in addition to Sly Croom being named SEC Coach of the Year. I think they've done their share to counter the ESPN-esque dissing that has been going on all year.

BTW, not sure why Alabama is on your list of teams to beat. They barely eeked out a bowl bid and actually looked pretty terrible in conference play. Arkansas showed how "great" they were on New Year's Day.

You are right about LSU. They will win the NC and the trophy will stay in the SEC, again.

So how is Hawaii getting blown out any different than these BCS bowl results?

2007:

USC 49 Illinois 17

2006:

Florida 41 Ohio State 14

LSU 41 Notre Dame 14

2005:

Ohio State 34 Notre Dame 14

USC 55 Oklahoma 19

Utah 35 Pitt 7

2007:

USC 49 Illinois 17

2006:

Florida 41 Ohio State 14

LSU 41 Notre Dame 14

2005:

USC 55 Oklahoma 19

Utah 35 Pitt 7

It isn't. With each of those games, except for OSU/Florida, I think there was definitely a team that did not deserve to be there.

It should have been a Georgia/USC or Missou/USC matchup in the Rose Bowl, but to keep with tradition they took a Big 10 team. That game was a joke from the beginning. Don't get me started on ND and the BCS...talk about a joke! The OU/USC National Title game was iffy as well...Auburn probably should have been there in hindsight. Pitt won the (at the time) incredibly weak Big East in 2004 and many people didn't believe that conference was BCS-worthy.

What you have in each of those cases were teams that were selected either for traditional posterity or because they were contractually obligated to do so. That is what I do not like about the BCS bowlgames, the best potential matchups on the field are not always the ones that are selected to take place. I would have loved to see a Georgia/USC game...and I'm sure in hindsight the Rose Bowl committee is kicking themselves for not selecting Georgia with their pick.

My one point will be this, lots of people make a big deal about how the regular season matters. If that's all that matters, then Hawaii should have gotten a chance to make it. With a playoff, maybe they lose early or maybe they win out. Everyone would at least have a shot to prove or disprove their worth.

Guest bleedsbluengold24

2007:

USC 49 Illinois 17

2006:

Florida 41 Ohio State 14

LSU 41 Notre Dame 14

2005:

USC 55 Oklahoma 19

Utah 35 Pitt 7

The difference is in the belief that Hawaii was a powerhouse contender. They were not. They went undefeated. So what? Had they been in the same conference of any of the teams you listed they would not have.

In virtually every case you mentioned, you had a team that was over-rated, especially in regards to Notre Dame. They've been over-rated, over-hyped for years. This year they proved it.

Bleedy, the reason Alabama is on "my list" is that of the SEC teams, regardless of where they are now, I think Alabama is among those that could beat Hawaii. We will never know now but I still believe they are SEC tough which in my opinion is tougher than a "rainbow sunset".

Guest bleedsbluengold24
maybe Georgia proved they should be playing for the national championship

They may indeed be good enough. If they'd beaten LSU they'd been there. And while I do think Georgia is a good, maybe great team, I don't think beating Hawaii is a clear indicator of that.

So were you reminded of the difference between playing in the Pac10 and playing in the Big 10 with USC's trouncing of the Illini?

I am reminded of the difference of having one superior team play an undeserving, over-rated team in the bowl. Before the Rose Bowl I believed that USC was one of the hottest and best teams in the nation, and the game just reinforced my beliefs. But back to the team in question, Hawaii, as the thread title is, in fact, Hawaii, and not USC or Illinois...

Hawaii played in the WAC and went undefeated. I thought hey, this team is undefeated with a good quarterback at the helm, maybe they have a shot against the Bulldogs, as we all remember what happened with Boise St/Oklahoma last year. But after the first quarter or so, I was reminded that while being undefeated is a nice stat, it wasn't against anyone in particular. When your playing against a team that is a perennial contender in the SEC, and the biggest test you've faced all year is a decent Boise State team, or if you have to come back against Washington in the second half, then you probably don't stack up against a top SEC opponent.

This game was different than any bowl this year b/c of the hype that Hawaii received and the fact that they were an underdog who might have a shot. This game showed everyone how undeserving they were, and how battle tested they weren't.

The funny thing was that last year Boise St. would get trucked by OU and they won.

Honestly, I thought Hawaii played their worse game of the year. I thought they could of made the game a lot more interesting and lost no more than 10.

LOL, all this Hawaii played bad ####. I watched Georgia alot this season and I still say they should have been a contender for a National Title. When they were clicking then there is NOBODY that could play with them. THey were clicking the other night. Look at how they DOMinated Hawaiis offense. Although Hawaii was not that good. THey shouldnt be in the NC, and Brennan is not the Heisman winner. Didnt look like he enjoyed the game too much the other night. I bet he was sore the next morning. He got JACKED UP , about 6 TIMES>.ha

While I agree that the Rainbows were on the short end of the talent stick it is not inconcievable that they could have had a bad night ~ LSU and USC faithful will tell you that their teams had a bad night when losing to unranked opponents and now argue that their teams are the best in the country...My point is this, teams can have as bad not despite what conference they play in or their level of overall team talent...I also think a knowledgeable fan could make a legitmate argument for one of several teams this year as being the best based on their allegiance....While a national champion will be crowned shortly, I for one am certainly not convinced that LSU or Ohio State will be deserving of the label...