Randy Copeland Finalist for Willis

formertribesman

Guest bleedsbluengold24
The information contained within this thread is not substantiated nor has it been confirmed, at this point, as fact. Smoaky.com does not endorse this information as factual. It exists for entertainment purposes only until further notice. At the point that the information, within this thread, approaches the level of harmful intent or is deemed "out of control" it will be removed.

Here's the article.

Finalists named for head football coach of the Willis Wildkats

Three with local ties in Willis coach search

By: Howard Roden, Assistant Sports Editor

The Courier. 2008

WILLIS - Eight coaches - including three with ties to the Montgomery County area - are finalists to become the next head football coach of the Willis Wildkats.

Shannon Felder, a 1984 graduate of Willis and currently the head coach of a private school in Anniston, Ala., is among the candidates interviewed this week by a search committee headed by Willis Independent School District Superintendent Brian Zemlicka.

James Michael Barber, son of former Conroe High head coach Mike Barber, is the defensive coordinator at Fort Bend Kempner, while former Duncanville head coach Daniel Schreiber was on Bob Alpert's 1981 Willis staff.

Zemlicka, who released the list Wednesday in response to an open records request from The Courier, said the interviews would continue through Friday. The committee would then further reduce the list of candidates down to "two or three," Zemlicka said, before he presents his recommendation to the school district's board of trustees.

Zemlicka hopes to have the selection process completed in time for the board's next meeting Wednesday.

"We'd like to name a coach next week, but if we're not ready, we won't," he said. "We've spent a lot of time during the holidays and I feel good about what we've done so far. Now we're trying to narrow it down to one."

The committee sifted through an initial stack of 155 applicants, Zemlicka said. The list was reduced to 20, then to 12, before reaching the current number of candidates, he said.

"After going through so many on paper and having brought some of them in person, I feel good about our finalists," he said. "I'm excited."

Of the other five finalists, only Jacksonville's Randy Copeland is currently a head football coach. Livingston's Richard Mitchell, Dallas Hillcrest's Audie Jackson and Corsicana's Scott Doring are defensive coordinators at their respective Class 4A schools. Gerald Perry is the offensive coordinator at Class 5A Plano East.

"The success of their programs is one of the things we looked at," Zemlicka said. "We looked at their years of head coaching and coordinator experience. We had some (Class) 2A and 3A coaches with some success (apply), but we didn't have a whole lot of them. It's not based on where they're at. It just worked out the way it did."

Willis began its search for new coach in November when Zemlicka - declaring it was "time for a change" - reassigned Mack Malone days after the Wildkats' completed their second consecutive 0-10 season under the 1987 Willis graduate. Malone was promoted from defensive coordinator in the spring of 2006 after then-head coach Rick Cullum left in the wake of scandal involving the distribution of an inappropriate photograph on the school district's e-mail system.

In Willis Wednesday for his second interview, Felder, 41, has coached in Alabama for more than a decade. He was defensive secondary coach at Central High in Tuscaloosa when the school won a state championship in 1995.

After serving as head coach at Wilcox High School, Felder, an all-state running back and outfielder at Willis, took the helm of Donoho School in Anniston in 2004. Starting out 0-10 that first year, Felder had the college preparatory school's football team 12-1 and in Alabama's Class 1A state semifinals by the 2006 season.

Donoho went 8-3 this past season, losing in the first round of the playoffs.

Barber was a standout linebacker on Conroe High's back-to-back state quarterfinalist squads in 1984-85. His father, Mike Barber, was the Tigers' head coach from 1983 until 1986.

At Kempner this past season, the younger Barber was the defensive coordinator of a Cougar squad that finished third (6-5 overall, 6-2 district) in District 23-5A behind champion Clements. Kempner lost to Pearland in bi-district.

Schreiber compiled a 36-28 record in six seasons at Duncanville, but was reassigned in November after the Panthers (3-7) failed to make the playoffs for the third straight season. He came to Duncanville in 1996 from Aldine MacArthur where he served on Alpert's staff.

Duncanville won the Class 5A Division I state championship in 1998, and Schreiber was promoted to head coach when health problems forced the late Alpert to retire following the 2001 season.

Livingston's Mitchell has been defensive coordinator at the District 18-4A school the past three seasons. Before that, the 42-year-old Louisiana native served as athletic director and head football coach at Class 3A Kemp in East Texas.

In the state playoffs for only the second time in school history, Livingston reached the third round of the Class 4A Division II playoffs before losing to Dayton.

"Every time we played Willis, I've been impressed with their kids," said Mitchell, who was reached at his home by phone Wednesday. "I think the administration there wants to make a commitment to make their athletic programs top-notch."

The head coach at Jacksonville since 2003, Copeland's Indians made the Class 4A Division II quarterfinals in 2004. But they have not made the playoff since and were 3-7 this past season.

Perry's offense at Plano East averaged 34.7 points per game. After opening the 2007 season with six wins, the Panthers missed the playoffs by losing their final four games.

Sports Editor Mike Jones contributed to this story.

Howard Roden can be reached at [email protected].

©Houston Community Newspapers Online 2008

The information contained within this thread is not substantiated nor has it been confirmed, at this point, as fact. Smoaky.com does not endorse this information as factual. It exists for entertainment purposes only until further notice. At the point that the information, within this thread, approaches the level of harmful intent or is deemed "out of control" it will be removed.

...looks like this post can be removed now...congrats to randy on being a finalist but i hope for the sake of east texas and jacksonville that he stays... :zorro:

What is going on in J'ville that Coach Copeland would want to leave for Willis? I know they have had a couple of down years, but he is a heck of a coach and a proven winner. Does he have ties to Willis?

Heard a couple of board members are trying to get someone from the past. Pretty crummy. He's a great coach. Also has a couple of stud sons coming up. The 2 board members need to chill. They don't have a clue.

My grapevine tells me Randy is no longer involved in this search.

Smoaky

Smoaky,

better than any grapevine... here is the newspaper article link....

http://www.thecourier-online.com/site/prin...newsid=19184575

And the article itself:

01/10/2008

Willis hires new football coach

By: Howard Roden , Assistant Sports Editor

Willis ISD Superintendent Brian Zemlicka presents a whistle to new head football coach Audie Jackson. Looking on are Jackson’s wife, Tracy, son Dalton, and daughter, Delaney. (Staff photo by Melanie Hall)

WILLIS - Audie Jackson has wanted to be a head football coach since he was in the fifth grade. The Oklahoma native got his wish Wednesday night when he was introduced as the Willis Wildkats' new coach.

With a show of hands, the Willis Independent School District board of trustees gave their unanimous consent to the hiring of Jackson during its regular meeting. At times choking back tears when addressing the near-capacity crowd at the Cargill Education Service Center, Jackson was the choice of Willis ISD Superintendent Brian Zemlicka from a field of more than 150 candidates.

"It's an unbelievable honor," Jackson said after he was introduced to the audience by Zemlicka. "I want you to know how much this means to me and my family."

Defensive coordinator at Class 4A Dallas Hillcrest this past season, the 39-year-old Jackson replaces Mack Malone, who was reassigned in November shortly after the Wildkats' second consecutive 0-10 season.

Jackson has been charged with turning around a football program that has lost 26 games in a row, dating back to the 2005 season. A 15-year veteran of high school coaching, Jackson said his experience in dealing with other winless programs gives him confidence a similar transformation can occur at Willis.

"At my job in Elk City (Okla.), we took over a program that had gone 0-10 the year before," he said. "Except for the first year, we went to the playoffs every year after that. And we had a winning record that first year."

Irving MacArthur was 1-9 the season before Jackson arrived in 2002 as co-defensive coordinator. He said the Dallas area school made the playoffs the two years he was there.

"I've been there. I know what it takes," said Jackson, who was accompanied at the board meeting by his wife Tracy, son Dalton and daughter Delaney.

Jackson said the trick is cultivating confidence within the players.

"One of the first things I did was look past the last three seasons," he said. "What I found was there is tradition here. They have been in the playoffs before."

Jackson received a vote of confidence from several members of the Wildkats' football program who were at the meeting.

"He's not afraid of showing his emotions," said Jon Benham, a junior linebacker. "He's not a meanie."

Standing outside the administration building with other Willis students, linebacker Cody Young said he was ready for the next season to start. That sentiment was shared by Jordan Nixon. As fullback, Nixon was the Wildkats' leading rusher this past season with 599 yards and four touchdowns.

"He seems like a good coach," he said.

The Hillcrest Panthers were 5-5 last season and missed the state playoffs despite a 4-2 record in District 13-4A. Jackson was offensive coordinator at Terrell in 2006 when the Tigers went 1-9 in a district that included perennial power Highland Park.

Garland Lakeview Centennial went 3-7 each of the two seasons Jackson served as defensive coordinator.

When starting his search, Zemlicka said he preferred hiring someone with head coaching experience. Although Jackson will be making his head coaching debut this fall, the school superintendent stressed Jackson is the man who could take Willis athletics to the "next level."

"I think he's a great fit for our community," Zemlicka said prior to the meeting. "He has a plan for academic success for all our athletes, and he has a great plan to get all of our athletes - from junior high to high school - on the same page.

"Regardless of the past - good or bad - we're starting a new era in Willis football," he said.

Having grown up in a small town in Oklahoma, Jackson said he was attracted to Willis because of its like atmosphere.

"I wanted to get my kids in that environment," he said, adding he spent summers working at Camp Olympia near Trinity and that he has friends living in the Lake Conroe area.

Zemlicka told the audience that Jackson possesses a "winning attitude" and that the new coach "knows his Xs and Os." Jackson said he planned to implement the "spread" offense, the one-back shotgun formation developed by Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez and popularized by the Florida Gators.

Jackson said he hopes to be at the new job by next week. He said he has begun assembling a coaching staff, including defensive and offensive coordinators from outside the Montgomery County area.

Although introduced as the new coach, Jackson said he had not signed a contract. He and the trustees were to hammer out the details in executive session Wednesday night.

"My goal was to be a head coach," Jackson said. "The financial matters are the least of my concerns."

Advertisement

The Jackson file

Name: Audie Ray Jackson

Birthplace: Watonga, Okla.

Family: Wife Tracy, son Dalton, daughter Delaney.

Playing career: Thomas (Okla.) High School, Southwest Oklahoma State University.

Coaching resume: Defensive coordinator, Dallas Hillcrest (2007); Offensive coordinator, Terrell (Tex.) High School (2006); Defensive coordinator, Garland Lakeview Centennial (2004-05); Co-defensive coordinator, Irving MacArthur (2002-03); Position coach, Garland Naaman Forest (1998-2001); Position coach, Rockwall High School (1997), Position coach, Elk City (Okla.) High School (1993-96)

Smoaky,

better than any grapevine... here is the newspaper article link....

http://www.thecourier-online.com/site/prin...newsid=19184575

And the article itself:

01/10/2008

Willis hires new football coach

By: Howard Roden , Assistant Sports Editor

Willis ISD Superintendent Brian Zemlicka presents a whistle to new head football coach Audie Jackson. Looking on are Jackson’s wife, Tracy, son Dalton, and daughter, Delaney. (Staff photo by Melanie Hall)

WILLIS - Audie Jackson has wanted to be a head football coach since he was in the fifth grade. The Oklahoma native got his wish Wednesday night when he was introduced as the Willis Wildkats' new coach.

With a show of hands, the Willis Independent School District board of trustees gave their unanimous consent to the hiring of Jackson during its regular meeting. At times choking back tears when addressing the near-capacity crowd at the Cargill Education Service Center, Jackson was the choice of Willis ISD Superintendent Brian Zemlicka from a field of more than 150 candidates.

"It's an unbelievable honor," Jackson said after he was introduced to the audience by Zemlicka. "I want you to know how much this means to me and my family."

Defensive coordinator at Class 4A Dallas Hillcrest this past season, the 39-year-old Jackson replaces Mack Malone, who was reassigned in November shortly after the Wildkats' second consecutive 0-10 season.

Jackson has been charged with turning around a football program that has lost 26 games in a row, dating back to the 2005 season. A 15-year veteran of high school coaching, Jackson said his experience in dealing with other winless programs gives him confidence a similar transformation can occur at Willis.

"At my job in Elk City (Okla.), we took over a program that had gone 0-10 the year before," he said. "Except for the first year, we went to the playoffs every year after that. And we had a winning record that first year."

Irving MacArthur was 1-9 the season before Jackson arrived in 2002 as co-defensive coordinator. He said the Dallas area school made the playoffs the two years he was there.

"I've been there. I know what it takes," said Jackson, who was accompanied at the board meeting by his wife Tracy, son Dalton and daughter Delaney.

Jackson said the trick is cultivating confidence within the players.

"One of the first things I did was look past the last three seasons," he said. "What I found was there is tradition here. They have been in the playoffs before."

Jackson received a vote of confidence from several members of the Wildkats' football program who were at the meeting.

"He's not afraid of showing his emotions," said Jon Benham, a junior linebacker. "He's not a meanie."

Standing outside the administration building with other Willis students, linebacker Cody Young said he was ready for the next season to start. That sentiment was shared by Jordan Nixon. As fullback, Nixon was the Wildkats' leading rusher this past season with 599 yards and four touchdowns.

"He seems like a good coach," he said.

The Hillcrest Panthers were 5-5 last season and missed the state playoffs despite a 4-2 record in District 13-4A. Jackson was offensive coordinator at Terrell in 2006 when the Tigers went 1-9 in a district that included perennial power Highland Park.

Garland Lakeview Centennial went 3-7 each of the two seasons Jackson served as defensive coordinator.

When starting his search, Zemlicka said he preferred hiring someone with head coaching experience. Although Jackson will be making his head coaching debut this fall, the school superintendent stressed Jackson is the man who could take Willis athletics to the "next level."

"I think he's a great fit for our community," Zemlicka said prior to the meeting. "He has a plan for academic success for all our athletes, and he has a great plan to get all of our athletes - from junior high to high school - on the same page.

"Regardless of the past - good or bad - we're starting a new era in Willis football," he said.

Having grown up in a small town in Oklahoma, Jackson said he was attracted to Willis because of its like atmosphere.

"I wanted to get my kids in that environment," he said, adding he spent summers working at Camp Olympia near Trinity and that he has friends living in the Lake Conroe area.

Zemlicka told the audience that Jackson possesses a "winning attitude" and that the new coach "knows his Xs and Os." Jackson said he planned to implement the "spread" offense, the one-back shotgun formation developed by Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez and popularized by the Florida Gators.

Jackson said he hopes to be at the new job by next week. He said he has begun assembling a coaching staff, including defensive and offensive coordinators from outside the Montgomery County area.

Although introduced as the new coach, Jackson said he had not signed a contract. He and the trustees were to hammer out the details in executive session Wednesday night.

"My goal was to be a head coach," Jackson said. "The financial matters are the least of my concerns."

Advertisement

The Jackson file

Name: Audie Ray Jackson

Birthplace: Watonga, Okla.

Family: Wife Tracy, son Dalton, daughter Delaney.

Playing career: Thomas (Okla.) High School, Southwest Oklahoma State University.

Coaching resume: Defensive coordinator, Dallas Hillcrest (2007); Offensive coordinator, Terrell (Tex.) High School (2006); Defensive coordinator, Garland Lakeview Centennial (2004-05); Co-defensive coordinator, Irving MacArthur (2002-03); Position coach, Garland Naaman Forest (1998-2001); Position coach, Rockwall High School (1997), Position coach, Elk City (Okla.) High School (1993-96)

Well, at least my grapevine is still healthy.

Smoaky

Guest AmosMoses
Well, at least my grapevine is still healthy.

Smoaky

I thought that there was some sort of law preventing Okies from

coaching TEXAS HS Football. :happy65:

Randy is not only a class coach, he is even a better man. I met him a few years ago at a youth baseball tournament and he was pushing a little baby in a carriage, he was in the process of adopting this little girl. I saw him a year later and asked him about the little girl and his eyes lit up and he told me her story. I will always pull for Coach Copeland except for when he is playing my team. I know this past fall was tuff in J'ville, but there is some good talent coming up. Hopefully Randy will be there to see it.

Randy is not only a class coach, he is even a better man. I met him a few years ago at a youth baseball tournament and he was pushing a little baby in a carriage, he was in the process of adopting this little girl. I saw him a year later and asked him about the little girl and his eyes lit up and he told me her story. I will always pull for Coach Copeland except for when he is playing my team. I know this past fall was tuff in J'ville, but there is some good talent coming up. Hopefully Randy will be there to see it.

AMEN!!! A Godly Man! He's a man's man! And a Great coach!

• 2 weeks later...