District 17-4a Standings

jon98

Standings from Friday 7, 2008, but some games are still to be made up (Marshall vs Eustace) ect.

1st Lindale 39

2nd Pine Tree 35

3rd *Marshall 24

4th Athens 21

5th Chapel Hill 18

6th Hallsville 18

7th *Kilgore 18

8th White House 13

9th *Eustace 0

*Incomplete

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah....it's interesting how very few people are willing to just give some props and love to Marshall. This is a program that has been building for a couple of years. It was bound to happen that they would end up competitive. Last year they were losing a lot of 1 point games....this year they are winning them.

No one stays on top forever......and no one stays on the bottom forever. But Marshall doesn't have a winning history, therefore they must earn that respect. Doesn't look like they will get it this season, but maybe in the future.

NO ONE in this district has had an exceptional season except for maybe Lindale. So the all the big talk and bad-mouthing is a little mind-boggling.

i didn't bad mouth marshall. I just don't think they are the 3rd best team in our district and when the only games we've lost in the 2nd round were to Lindale (in OT) and Pine Tree (in OT) its safe to say we are playing much better this round than the first. We didn't take care of business and now that may come back to haunt us. Also the fact we beat Marshall 2/3 times this year doesn't exactly make me happy that they are statistically better than us but theres nothing I can do about it.

Marshall does have my respect though. For the talent they've had and the games they've won. congrats

All the doubters don't surprise me at all. Palestine went through the same thing last year.

I had to learn not to take it so personal. It isn't that people aren't happy for you it is just

that when a team has been at the bottom of the standings for so long, teams just plan on

counting them out. When they come out at the beginning of the season ready to take care

of business and change peoples views about them, ANYTHING is possible (even STATE)

You guys have proved yourselves on the field and that is all that matters. Sometimes

a little "luck" goes along with it too but that is the game of soccer.

luck does have a lot to do with it for scrappy teams like Marshall who depend on their opposers making a mistake ........ the first goal they scored on us was inexperience at beginning of year and the 2 they scored in 2nd round was due to defensive error, so who knows maybe theyll stay lucky going into the playoffs and get those chances in the playoffs

I'm not really comparing the 2 teams. I am just saying people are always going to doubt

how good you really are. Even with each game that Palestine won last year, most people

did not think that they were for real. It was all "luck" Their were always excuses, it could

never just be that the Wildcats were better than people expected them to be. Respect

has to be earned on the soccer field just like everywhere else. They had to prove

themselves over and over out on the pitch. I think more people are just surprised at how

well the Marshall Mavericks have stepped up to the challenge of playing in a very good

(maybe down this year) but very good district. The best way to beat a opponent that is

better skilled with you is to capitalize on the other teams mistakes.

luck does have a lot to do with it for scrappy teams like Marshall who depend on their opposers making a mistake ........ the first goal they scored on us was inexperience at beginning of year and the 2 they scored in 2nd round was due to defensive error, so who knows maybe theyll stay lucky going into the playoffs and get those chances in the playoffs

I don't recall the last time we were scored on because we did everything right.

The very nature of team sport is that ALL points scored are generated by taking advantage of the other teams mistakes......

Kind of a lame excuse....... :thumbdown:

i wasnt making excuses because we came back and won the game, all three of those goals were earned by Marshall from working hard and not letting up, they were lucky in the fact that we made our mistakes and had the oppurtunity to bury them

i wasnt making excuses because we came back and won the game, all three of those goals were earned by Marshall from working hard and not letting up, they were lucky in the fact that we made our mistakes and had the oppurtunity to bury them

Not saying you have no idaea but that is how goals are scored and games are won (not by luck). You cant tell me that goals scored on you have been because you and your teammates have been in the right spot or did the right thing. The Game is played because teams that may not be as good can win games (not by luck but by taking advatage of others mistakes).

The subject of "Lucky" goals intrigues me a smuch as the "Best team didn't win"...

Goals are of many types:

Good team, good defense; better team , better play = SCORE (GOOD SOCCER)

Good team, mistake; good or bad team capitalizes = SCORE (MISTAKE, your bad)

Good or bad team scores, something wierd happens; good or bad team ( UNFORTUNATE )

Remember, luck is good and bad, if it exists.

Example:

Corner Kick comes down, ping-pongs around, kicked hard, keeper dives, ball deflects off of a defenders leg and goes in the other way. LUCK? Good for the scoring team, bad for the Defense.

If the ball had been properly defended and cleared, it would never have occurred. If the ball was played in perfectly, it couldn't have been stopped. Somewhere, sure it took a wierd bounce, but let's not blame luck for defensive play.

I guess just like when you have a call go your way that was wrong, no one says anything. The same way, a goal that you score by luck is never really bragged about as such.

All mistakes are opportunities for EXPERIENCE. All situations ore opportunities for showing CHARACTER.

I'll give another example, as in a previous post, someone thinks they were bashing Lindale because the goal against PT was an own goal as a result of Lindale working to get the ball in and was shot by Lindale deflected by PT, went in. Lucky,? still a goal.

my response to luck is the old adage "sometimes it's better to be lucky than good"...heard that when I was a kid and i've thought about it for a long time, I always thought i'd rather be good at something than just lucky (if it exists as stated). As long as you're good, good things will happen more often than if you're just lucky every once in a while.

not bashing but telling the truth. you guys were lucky it was an own goal and yes they all count. the question is what PT did before that shot that bothers me.

it was just a mistouch by the defender Lindale had a guy runnin backside so the defender just tried to kick it back where the cross came from and it shanked off the side of his foot

These are going to be the games for Tuesday (3/11/2008):

Athens vs Lindale

Chapel Hill vs Kilgore

Hallsville vs Marshall

Eustace vs Pine Tree

Make your predictions! I say Athens, Chapel Hill, Hallsville, and Pine Tree.

Athens vs Lindale

Chapel Hill vs Kilgore

Hallsville vs Marshall

Eustace vs Pine Tree

I say Lindale, Kilgore, Marshall, and pine Tree

And Marshall Played today VS Eustace and Varsity boys Won 6-0

Varsity Girls Won 1-0