Strange Mascots

DaveTV1

I maybe late on the mix on this. My best friend has several T-shirts from various colleges, so I know some are true. I shop at LIDS, when I need a new ball cap. I thought some of the Mascots, were fictional.

My top 10 list of Strange, but true:

1. Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.

2. Trinity Christian Trolls

3. North Carolina School Of The Arts Fighting Pickles

4. South Dakota Tech Hardrockers

5. Delta State Fighting Okra

6. Grays Harbor Community College Chokers

7. Long Beach State Dirtbags

8. UC Irvine Anteaters

9. Scottsdale Community College Artichokes

10. Whittier College Poets.

I maybe late on the mix on this. My best friend has several T-shirts from various colleges, so I know some are true. I shop at LIDS, when I need a new ball cap. I thought some of the Mascots, were fictional.

8. UC Irvine Anteaters

The Long Beach State one isn't an official mascot, their real one is the 49ers, but their baseball team uses the unofficial "dirtbags" nickname because it is a baseball term for a player that goes all out.

8. UC Irvine Anteaters

Delta State is known as the "statesmen"

Gotta back you up on the VA Tech. Atleast some of them tried to change it to gobblers. I couldn't be a hokie.

Of course I am sure somewhere some college team goes by the steers.

I think in Texas there is a HS with a steers mascot.

I live in Texas and there is some school that is the Unicorns. :w00t:

If you have a favorite high school football team, hope that they don't play the Unicorns. They've had a pretty darn good program for several years now.

Oklahoma Sooners, What the heck are Sooners? I live in Texas and there is some school that is the Unicorns. :w00t: Why isn't Ohio State called the Ohio State Nuts? And which college is it that is called the Gamecocks?

During the Oklahoma land rush of 1889, the people that left the line early to stake their claim, were called Sooners.

Wikipedia*

*The term Sooners was used to describe settlers who entered the Unassigned Lands, located in the current state of Oklahoma, before President Benjamin Harrison officially proclaimed them open to settlement with the Indian Appropriations Act of 1889 on March 2, 1889.

Virginia Tech Hokies. Now that has to be the dumbest name ever. A Hokie is a neutered turkey. Wow, now that strikes fear into all of us, right? or not! Well, I guess a Wahoo might be scared of a Hokie. :happy65:

Maybe they think People will fear being neutered by a castrated turkey???? :pinch:

Va Tech's Hokie has nothing to do with a turkey even though They use one as a symbol. Here is how it came about from the official Va Tech Website:

Here is the answer to that oft-posed question, "What's a Hokie?" and an explanation of other Tech traditions.

What is a Hokie? The origin of the word "Hokie" has nothing to do with a turkey. It was coined by O. M. Stull (class of 1896), who used it in a spirit yell he wrote for a competition.

Here's how that competition came to be held. Virginia Tech was founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution and was named Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1896, the Virginia General Assembly officially changed the college's name to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, a name so long that citizens shortened it in popular usage to VPI. The original college cheer, which made reference to the original name of the institution, was no longer suitable. Thus, a contest was held to select a new spirit yell, and Stull won the $5 top prize for his cheer, now known as Old Hokie:

Hoki, Hoki, Hoki, Hy.

Techs, Techs, V.P.I.

Sola-Rex, Sola-Rah.

Polytechs - Vir-gin-ia.

Rae, Ri, V.P.I.

Later, the phrase "Team! Team! Team!" was added at the end, and an "e" was added to "Hoki."

Stull later said that he made up the word as an attention-grabber. Though he may not have known it, "Hokie" (in its various forms) has been around at least since 1842. According to Johann Norstedt, now a retired Virginia Tech English professor, "[Hokie was] a word that people used to express feeling, approval, excitement, surprise. Hokie, then, is a word like 'hooray,' or 'yeah,' or 'rah.'" Whatever its original meaning, the word in the popular cheer did, as Stull wanted, grab attention and has been a part of Virginia Tech tradition ever since.

Also, Stanford's mascot is a tree and it is called The Stanford Cardinal. Not a bird at all and not plural. This tree is called Cardinal and stands at the entrance to the campus.

Interesting story. I have lived in VA for many years and never heard that one. Every VATech grad I ever talked to said a hokie was a neutered turkey, as is the definition in the dictionary. But I guess the school website would know. Funny that the people who go to school there do not know that. It is, then, in line with the 'Wahoos' of UVA. lol.