Rusk getting new $5 million basketball palace

Guest Qorban

word around 20-3A is that the Rusk school board has just approved

a new $5 million gym replete with hospitality room and hardwood

practice facility. anybody heard this? where is this money coming

from? it is supposed to seat upwards of 2,000 and completed by Nov '08.

word around 20-3A is that the Rusk school board has just approved

a new $5 million gym replete with hospitality room and hardwood

practice facility. anybody heard this? where is this money coming

from? it is supposed to seat upwards of 2,000 and completed by Nov '08.

Will cost a little over 4 million and it will have a practice gym--will seat around 1,300.

It will be one of the the nicest in the area. They are trying to build a total program in Rusk.

RISD sets gym project costs at about $4 million

By Cristin Ross

[email protected]

Rusk Independent School District board members — sans Trustee Mike Ross — did not waste any time Thursday night making their decision about the cost of the new gymnasium project.

They unanimously approved the project’s guaranteed maximum price at $4,005,103 and the project’s total cost at $4,358,458.

“We trimmed what we could from the initial proposal,” Superintendent Jim Largent said. “We feel like we’re getting a good value from our engineers and construction company. We’re getting a lot of bang for our buck.”

After having a few questions answered by Project Manager Stephen Berry, with Berry and Clay Construction, the board reviewed five proposals containing different phases of construction on the project.

“These are very safe numbers,” Finance Director Lesa Jones told board members. “The building fund’s accumulation has been very good over the last few years.”

Proposal 1 included only building the new gym for $4,019,426. Other proposals added building a parking lot, practice gym and hospitality room to the cost of the gym. Proposal 5, the one trustees approved, included all aspects of the project.

“It’s just like building anything else,” Board President David Fulton said. “If you can afford to do it at all, do it right — right from the start.”

The new facility will be located along Eagle Drive near the high school. The parking will add 25 spaces to current parking arraignments. The practice gym will feature wood floors and could be expanded into a full gym in the future.

Berry said he hoped to be able to begin pouring concrete for the gym in three months.

“We’re going to try for a November 1 finish date,” he said, “but I can’t promise anything. I’ve spoken with the metal building suppliers and they’re going to work with us as much as they can, but we’ll just have to wait and see.”

It will be one of the the nicest in the area. They are trying to build a total program in Rusk.

RISD sets gym project costs at about $4 million

By Cristin Ross

[email protected]

Rusk Independent School District board members — sans Trustee Mike Ross — did not waste any time Thursday night making their decision about the cost of the new gymnasium project.

They unanimously approved the project's guaranteed maximum price at $4,005,103 and the project's total cost at $4,358,458.

"We trimmed what we could from the initial proposal," Superintendent Jim Largent said. "We feel like we're getting a good value from our engineers and construction company. We're getting a lot of bang for our buck."

After having a few questions answered by Project Manager Stephen Berry, with Berry and Clay Construction, the board reviewed five proposals containing different phases of construction on the project.

"These are very safe numbers," Finance Director Lesa Jones told board members. "The building fund's accumulation has been very good over the last few years."

Proposal 1 included only building the new gym for $4,019,426. Other proposals added building a parking lot, practice gym and hospitality room to the cost of the gym. Proposal 5, the one trustees approved, included all aspects of the project.

"It's just like building anything else," Board President David Fulton said. "If you can afford to do it at all, do it right — right from the start."

The new facility will be located along Eagle Drive near the high school. The parking will add 25 spaces to current parking arraignments. The practice gym will feature wood floors and could be expanded into a full gym in the future.

Berry said he hoped to be able to begin pouring concrete for the gym in three months.

"We're going to try for a November 1 finish date," he said, "but I can't promise anything. I've spoken with the metal building suppliers and they're going to work with us as much as they can, but we'll just have to wait and see."

tatums isnt shabby.........

informant

:thumbsup: It's great that someone has the fore-sight to do it "RIGHT" from the beginning.

One facility that has at least Two fully equipped gyms so you could play TWO games at the same time. Parents could just step across or down the hall, because sometimes they have two kids playing at the same time.

To me MaBank's new gym setup is the best I have seen.

:thumbsup: It's great that someone has the fore-sight to do it "RIGHT" from the beginning.

One facility that has at least Two fully equipped gyms so you could play TWO games at the same time. Parents could just step across or down the hall, because sometimes they have two kids playing at the same time.

To me MaBank's new gym setup is the best I have seen.

Sabine's is like that...One hallway divides the Jr. high from the high school gym. I would like to see them extend the main hallway leading into the gyms all the way across so visitors wouldn't have to walk all the way around to get to the visitors side. Right now visitors mingle in with the Cardinal fans on the home side because of the long walk. Sabine has other fish to fry at the moment with the need for an on-campus softball facility, and a fieldhouse.

Btw...Mark Allen (the head coach at Mabank) is from Sabine. He was a member of the state championship teams in '79 & '80. I'm sure he had quite a bit of input in designing their gym.

About whitehouse having an arena. Its nice that u have a state of the art basketball palace, but don't forget u have a midevil (sp?) pasture of some sort u call a football field.

Did you not get the memo? They are fixing the football field now.It will hold like 7000, new turf, jumbo tron, indoor facility, and a double decker press box.... Wont be a pasture next season! lol

But to stay on topic.. I cant imagine what a 5million dollar basketball gym will look like.. Should be incredible for the highschool level.

if you can do it, do it right! somebody shoulda told that to Chapel Hill, when they built their multipurpose educational instructional facility! Instead, they stayed in their $750,000 gym, that they paid $1.5 million for, complete with Amish style solid particle board bleachers...all 6 of them! hehe

Thats great for Rusk but some schools that desperately need a gym upgrade are Henderson and Jacksonville but more Jacksonville, the gym is terrible, people just walk onto the court, in front of coaches etc..

I am so happy that Nac also has an "arena" to play in as well. Nacs and Whitehouses are two of the nicest in East Texas IMO.

It's probably 3 to 4 years away, but when Hallsville builds its new high school it is to have one of the most fantastic "state of the art" arenas in East Texas. Plans are just in the making but supposed to have 2,000 to 2,500 chairback seats in an arena style with all of the bells and whistles!! The entire bond package was $96 million with about $55 to $60 million for the high school!! Looks like there will be plenty to do it right!!

It's probably 3 to 4 years away, but when Hallsville builds its new high school it is to have one of the most fantastic "state of the art" arenas in East Texas. Plans are just in the making but supposed to have 2,000 to 2,500 chairback seats in an arena style with all of the bells and whistles!! The entire bond package was $96 million with about $55 to $60 million for the high school!! Looks like there will be plenty to do it right!!

Went to watch Grapeland play at home, they have an impressive gym for a 1A school. OK so that will leave Rusk with 4 gyms to play in, all teams will get plenty of practice time, should see improvement.