...Horns getting a 5-star in the backfield after all...

He is a QB from Lake Travis..5star recruit..but i don't care if he commits after his jr day..we got 364 days till he has to sign the real deal

The fact that he's wanting to go ahead and commit is a good thing! Most of Mack's commits commit before their football season ever starts and stick with it. The only early commit that didn't stick was John Brantley. The only guy they had commit for this new class was DJ Grant, and they didn't go after him until late November. Everyone's talking about Russell Shepard of Cy Ridge, but besides the fact that Gilbert won state with Lake Travis, he had some amazing stats. If I remember correctly, one game in the playoffs he had over 400 yards passing, and followed the next game with 7 passing TDs! Mack likes to recruit players that are winnners and are used to winning, so an early commit with Gilbert is a good sign of great things to come for this next recruiting class.

The fact that he's wanting to go ahead and commit is a good thing! Most of Mack's commits commit before their football season ever starts and stick with it. The only early commit that didn't stick was John Brantley. The only guy they had commit for this new class was DJ Grant, and they didn't go after him until late November. Everyone's talking about Russell Shepard of Cy Ridge, but besides the fact that Gilbert won state with Lake Travis, he had some amazing stats. If I remember correctly, one game in the playoffs he had over 400 yards passing, and followed the next game with 7 passing TDs! Mack likes to recruit players that are winnners and are used to winning, so an early commit with Gilbert is a good sign of great things to come for this next recruiting class.

This is a great pick-up for Mack and the Horns. Obviously, this kid wants to play for a team with a history of class and winning. I know Shepard is a kid UT is looking at for next year's class, but I'm not so sure he would be recruited as a QB anyway. Scout has him listed as the #4 overall recruit in the nation, but they have him down as an athlete. He is more of a runner, and has very mediocre passing stats. This Gilbert kid really looks like a guy who can sling it.