Rusk reassigns Wayne Mahaffey...

Smoaky

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Smoaky you know "done fired a shot" is proper East Texas lingo.

Saying "East Texas" and "proper lingo" together is stretching it, right?

LOL.

Have a great weekend.

I've "done" got to enjoy a charity event in Dallas.

Smoaky

Some help folks, please. Did Wayne Mahaffey coach only one year at Bartlett? Did he win

the Class A state championship there?

For those interested, I keep the historical section updated before each football season so people can know a lot more about their program's history, wins-losses, all-state selections, all-smoaky.com selections, players in the NFL---AND----an updated coaches information form.

Here's what is under Coach Mahaffey's resume "BEFORE" this past season:

Head Coaching Experience:

*Bartlett 15-1 (Won State Championship)

Kaufman 3 years 17-14

Wimberley 5 years 22-31

Rusk 8 years 50-39

Overall 104-85

Smoaky

As a former Player in Rusk and a current coach, I can appreciate all that Coach Mahaffey has done for my school. I do know how the business works and any time a coach is reassigned or fired, it strikes a cord in our profession.

As far as the reasoning and events that added up to the eventual reassignment, we may never know and that's ok. You know... the 3 sides to every story thing.

I do know this... the school and program is bigger than any one player or one coach. It's time to move on. Identify the problems and work hard to correct them. Build on the successes.

The board needs to hire someone who has a long-term goal for the program and school. Give that man the time and resources to accomplish that goal. This is not an overnight fix. Rusk can't be Alto. (unless they get moved to 1-A). Look for someone who sees Rusk as a stopping point, not a stepping stone.

When that happens, parents need to back the board and the coach. It's like someone said, "I don't come to your work and scream at you and tell you how to do your job."

Rusk is a great place. Rusk has had some great players... now it needs a coach to build a great program that has great TEAMS!.

As a former Player in Rusk and a current coach, I can appreciate all that Coach Mahaffey has done for my school. I do know how the business works and any time a coach is reassigned or fired, it strikes a cord in our profession.

As far as the reasoning and events that added up to the eventual reassignment, we may never know and that's ok. You know... the 3 sides to every story thing.

I do know this... the school and program is bigger than any one player or one coach. It's time to move on. Identify the problems and work hard to correct them. Build on the successes.

The board needs to hire someone who has a long-term goal for the program and school. Give that man the time and resources to accomplish that goal. This is not an overnight fix. Rusk can't be Alto. (unless they get moved to 1-A). Look for someone who sees Rusk as a stopping point, not a stepping stone.

When that happens, parents need to back the board and the coach. It's like someone said, "I don't come to your work and scream at you and tell you how to do your job."

Rusk is a great place. Rusk has had some great players... now it needs a coach to build a great program that has great TEAMS!.

What a great post.

David Smoak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...