I pray for shade and rain

I pray to live again

I come from the water

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by OBTS

If you believe in evolution, you must then believe that lighning charged a single cell and gave a heartbeat to some form of cell that eventually became you and I.

That's a lot of faith!!!

Honestly thats one of the funniest things i have ever read. Apparently someone was sleeping in their biology (or anthropology) classes. That is probably the worst description of evolution i have ever seen.

we have been down this road FAR too many times before.

• 2 years later...

*Please note that this is an OFF-TOPIC split from the Which Pres. Candidate Supports Your Views? thread.

PLEASE prune your quote boxes as this thread goes along ... there is absolutely no reason for EVERY word of a previous post to be in your’s. THANK YOU. :) -- cheaptrick77

The best plan that any Presidential candidate can have is one that will remove the federal government from local education.

I don't totally agree with that. Imagine how many kids in Utah would be learning about Jesus in America.

Or "intelligent design" over natural selection.

I don't totally agree with that. Imagine how many kids in Utah would be learning about Jesus in America.

Or "intelligent design" over natural selection.

How does that hurt you?

News flash to you, Bo! Here in Texas, thousands of kids are being taught that Darwinian evolution (natural selection) is a theory with lots of flaws. Even worse, one day soon, you'll be working for one of these.

Why are you opposed to that? Haven't the "natural selection" lies been taught in schools long enough?

BTW, if man evolved from apes, why are there still apes?

Natural selection is completely proven. It's simple evolution that we can observe in animal populations even today.

Maybe because man selected the most human-like apes to breed with, and left the fat, hairy chicks to the gorillas. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

Probably no more than the creation being taught out of the old testiment, right here in the good ole Bible belt.

But when the federal govt gets involved, you can rest assured it will get screwed up.

Natural selection is completely proven. It's simple evolution that we can observe in animal populations even today.

Maybe because man selected the most human-like apes to breed with, and left the fat, hairy chicks to the gorillas. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

At what point did ape become man in order to select the human-like apes to breed with, leaving the fat, hairy chicks to the gorillas? :w00t:

Oh, and you may have just proven that NCLB has failed miserably.

At what point did ape become man in order to select the human-like apes to breed with, leaving the fat, hairy chicks to the gorillas? :w00t:

Ha! I've always wanted to ask an evolutionst about that. If apes evolved, why then are there still apes? And how many generations before evolution takes place. For instance, the house fly, millions of generations over the past several years. Not any change. Ok, back to topic.

????????

We see finches becoming finches. We see moth hoaxes....but I've still never seen an elephant fly!

I guess you've never seen Dumbo or Operation Dumbo Drop then, have you?

As for the house fly, what makes you believe they aren't evolving? Immunities to disease, pesticides, etc. Nature is constantly in flux, in ways that aren't always readily apparent.

You know people are taller now than they were even 100 years ago, and it's not just because of a better diet, etc. It's natural selection.

I'm sorry, but most of you are woefully ignorant of natural selection (on both sides of the argument). I mean that in a non-caustic way; you haven't spent the years studying to understand how it works.

Next time you guys get sick and need to go to the doctor, be sure to tell them you don't believe in natural selection so they can give you the drugs from 35 years ago that don't affect the antigens of today.

You can believe what you want, but don't act like you KNOW how science works or the theories and data that have been gathered for a century on living organisms. Feel free to listen to the pundits spew their agenda-laden caricatures of science; some of you are spouting off the Al Gore-esque catch phrases of the folks who fear science.

If I seem rude or mean, so be it. I've spent YEARS studying quantitative disciplines which corroborate the larger, more encompassing theories of biology and chemistry. I have a little bit of a right to be snobbish.

I have a little bit of a right to be snobbish.

And snobbish you are being... I never fall for the “I have been a scientist all my life, and I can tell you that evolution is true” line. Instead of making snide comments about a supposed fear of science, how about citing credible examples of evolution other than virus mutations?

Better yet, start a thread and let's get after it.

And snobbish you are being... I never fall for the “I have been a scientist all my life, and I can tell you that evolution is true” line. Instead of making snide comments about a supposed fear of science, how about citing credible examples of evolution other than virus mutations?

Better yet, start a thread and let's get after it.

You can't be a scientist, or have any other occupation for that matter, all your life. Were you that knowledgable at 6 months. Maybe a scientist at 22 or 23 years of age but not 2 yrs. of age.

Now, even Darwin admitted he was wrong. Years after he submitted his theory of evolution he recanted all of it, not just some of it, but all of it.

Now do things change.....yes, the river bank moves as the flow of the water moves across it, we are taller because we live cleaner lives, know how to be healthier and not to mention the affor mentioned things that are in our foods. Yet, the river is still a river and we are still humans.........as for apes........they are apes not human.

God made the world and all that is in it. He spoke the heavens and earth into existance. How He did it only He knows. How He controls things.....only He knows. However to say that some haphazard thing happened and an ape turned into man is crazy. God made man, apes had nothing to do with it.

sorry.......I was using your quote of middle........go back to his statement of being a scientist all of his life......

I think I am cool with you.....no probs

Maybe you should go back to my post. Never said I was "a scientist all my life." Nice try, though.

I don't recall saying evolution was "true." I said natural selection is a proven process. Again, go look at medications.

Viruses don't mutate and they can't evolve on their own. Viruses are closely related to whatever cell they invade. Viruses aren't "living" because they need cells to reproduce.

First rule of being a scientist is that you can't 100% prove anything without a doubt no way to change it. Ideas about life change everyday. That's what's so great about science. We can change our ideas when evidence supports it. We can refute previous assumptions.

Maybe you should just google "evolution" and see examples. If you've already made your mind up that it could have never occured, why would I waste time citing examples?

You must think that I sat in a classroom for half a decade listening to guys who look like Albert Einstein beating a dead horse that evolution is the way things are and anyone who thinks different is a mindless ninny. I might have had some nerdy looking professors, but the majority of the time I was learning quantitative analysis of life. Shoot, these days the kids learn down to the molecules of genetics. It's amazing how much progress has been made.

I'm sure you'd love to hear my personal opinion on evolution so I'll give it to you. Do I believe we are the result of evolution? Yes. Why? Because the evidence out there, from the big picture all the way down to the peptide chains in our DNA, supports that fact. I can say with confidence that it's the most plausible explanation for life on earth through my understanding of biology and chemistry (specifically, the chemistry of life, or rather organic chemistry).

Now, unlike many on here, I don't see conflict with that and the existence of God. In fact, from that standpoint, I find people who refute evolution and give the explanation that "God just made it be" or don't even give an explanation both lazy and insulting to God. If God really is omnipotent and is not bound by time, then which is more plausible: God just "made" everything in an instant or had an immensely complex and beautiful system to perpetuate and create life on Earth?

I choose the second explanation. And from what I've learned and what I've seen, there is so much that we do not understand about us and life that it just comes down to why. The answer to that, my friend, could very well be what we call God.

I mean, if you look at the chemistry of things, do you realize that what makes your hair the color it is are simply a specific orientation of carbons, nitrogens, hydrogens, etc. bonded to one another? Those same molecules are what gives you the memory of your first home run as a kid or when your children were born. Is that not amazing? To me, even with years of understanding the interactions of the micro (molecules, proteins, DNA, etc) leading to the expression of macro (hair color, memories), it's still a wonderment. You know my religious complexion, but I would be a fool to say God couldn't have caused all of this to be. A damned fool.

I may have misspoke when I likened Darwinian evolution and natural selection...one being a pipe dream and the other observable. I don't know squat about virii, but I'll stick by my guns that a finch may mutate to a different finch, but it is a finch nonetheless. Now Mr. Wizard if you regularly observe species becoming new and distinct species, pray give us some examples.

News flash to you, Bo! Here in Texas, thousands of kids are being taught that Darwinian evolution (natural selection) is a theory with lots of flaws. Even worse, one day soon, you'll be working for one of these.

And now you guys are assuming I'm gonna be a teacher? Who bought the Jump to Conclusions mat?

I may have misspoke when I likened Darwinian evolution and natural selection...one being a pipe dream and the other observable. I don't know squat about virii, but I'll stick by my guns that a finch may mutate to a different finch, but it is a finch nonetheless. Now Mr. Wizard if you regularly observe species becoming new and distinct species, pray give us some examples.

If you're willing to wait a few hundred million years, I'm sure someone would be willing to show you.

• Mr. P changed the title to 🐵 E V O L U T I O N 🐵