Tiger Woods

CrankThatCrabtree

How does one get injured repeatedly playing.......golf....

Tiger may actually be too strong for his own good. He lifts like pro ball players, meaning he probably has thick slow twitch muscle fiber in his core. Meaning that the fast torque that he put into his swing can easily strain or tear muscle fibers to a more debilitating state than someone like a John Daly or Craig Stricker. I can play golf everyday and just have a little soreness in my core. But a real athlete won't ever feel that soreness, they only really feel the injury.

As for the lifting comment that shouldn't happen if he lifts like an athlete. Should be training for explosiveness and contrary to popular belief squats and deadlifts do not thicken your midsection near as much as traditional core exercises will. If anything he should be more equipped to take the high torque swing better than the non lifters on the tour. No if he is bodybuilding that's a different story, but he doesn't do that.

As for the lifting comment that shouldn't happen if he lifts like an athlete. Should be training for explosiveness and contrary to popular belief squats and deadlifts do not thicken your midsection near as much as traditional core exercises will. If anything he should be more equipped to take the high torque swing better than the non lifters on the tour. No if he is bodybuilding that's a different story, but he doesn't do that.

I think a lot of the issues are Nike related. Weight training for golf is something relatively to the sport, as in it started with Tiger. Tiger seems to have gotten started when he signed with Nike. Sma ewith Rory. Rory was a tiny guy when he first cane on tour, but when he signed that dotted line with Nike, his physique changed. Now he has a similar build to that of Tiger.

It seems to me that maybe Nike is doing some training with them, and possibly pushing them in the wrong direction. It doesn't help that he doesn't have a healthy swing.

Golf should be full body with an emphasis on their core and conditioning.

Also, strength isn't a necessity in golf. Like baseball, quick hand speed and body control can lead to long bombing hits...

I'm not even gonna pretend to know the strength requirements for golf, but baseball emphasis should be on core, back and legs. Especially legs, I laugh as so many of these youngsters that ask me to train them for baseball but get frustrated with me that we work legs all the time and don't get to bench press. The bench is almost completely useless to baseball outside of balanced building. Forearm strength is a major plus as well.

Back on topic ... Tiger is in the twilight of his dominance on tour. Shooting an 85 for a tour pro who was once the best player in the world for that long has got to be embarrasing .... If he can't compete at the top level anymore, I wonder how much longer he will play competitively.....

He done

I doubt if he wins another major. His 85 was on a course that he's dominated in the past, and won 5 Memorial's there. He might have a couple of tournaments that he's in the hunt for, but he just doesn't have the instinct anymore.

• 9 months later...

Love to play golf, don't play as much the last few years due to neck and back problems. Golf is the greatest sport ever devised in my opinion. I understand why people hate the game ... it's just too much of a challenge for most....

You Sir, are one sick puppy. TrueStorie

Probably the biggest and quickest drop off of a talented athlete in my lifetime. He was golf from a good decade. Unbeatable. Record setting. Dominant. Then one little 9 iron to the head and he's mortal or worse. Never seen a athlete who when you had the option of taking the field or a individual, you could confidently take the individual.

Stick to checkers and tiddly winks doomie ....

On a serious note, I didn't know 'ol Tiger was still golfin. Every time I accidently turn on that channel it's a bunch of skinny jeans boys and 'ol Phil Mickelson kinda trailing behind em. Tru-up

On a serious note, I didn't know 'ol Tiger was still golfin. Every time I accidently turn on that channel it's a bunch of skinny jeans boys and 'ol Phil Mickelson kinda trailing behind em. Tru-up

Mickelson is past his prime as well. He is very inconsistent especially with the putter ...

He would destroy the senior tour. The hole distance is comparable to the women's game if I remember correctly

A year later, I don't think so. He hasn't had a tour win in 3 years at any tournament from what I could find online. He's ranked at 476. He might as well retire at 40. I know Nicklaus won the Masters at 45 with a 5 year time period between his last Majors, but Nicklaus didn't have back problems.