Will a Whitehouse Win over S.O.C ...

jgrammer

Just a thought, i love whitehouse basketball and always will but even im aware of their consistant abilty to have short playoff stints.

its tough, but do you guys think a whitehouse win friday will get the monkey off the programs back ?

they beat pearce by 21 and pearce beat Highland park earlier in the year, so theres no doubt imo they've solidified the fact that they're for real.

as a fan im hoping to see them cruise through the region and make some REAL noise.

but what would a win mean, what would a loss mean ?

in your opinion.

For nearly 20 years, Whitehouse was 1 and done. Last year, they won a 1st round game. This year, they are in the 4th round--their best since Wally started. It's no secret that Region 2 is a beast of a regional. So if they go into the GSEC and play the best basketball they can, then there will be no shame in losing to any of the other 3 teams in that regional. If for some odd reason, they were to go in there and lay an egg, then that would be a disappointment. Whitehouse lost in football to a West Mesquite team that was simply better than them at all phases of the game--nothing to be ashamed of there. If the cagers lose to SOC because they don't have an answer to Bobo--they will be in the same boat. Shaquille O'Neal and Kendrick Perkins won a bunch of HS games for their respective HS teams because they created match-up problems for a ton of 4A schools.

This WH team has already accomplished more than anyone who reads this board outside of WH has ever given them credit for. Win or Lose--They are not underachievers.

Guest imyahuckleberry
is it true that whitehouse has 2 freshman on this team.

Two were brought up for the playoffs.

As far as this topic, I agree with OBTS. They are one of 16 left right now. If they go out and play there very best, win or lose, they've had an outstanding year. Its true they've not had alot of success in the playoffs but at least they are knocking on the door every year. Thats all you can ask for and WH has done it consistently over the years. I'm proud of this team, Wally and what they've accomplished this year. They've played as tough a schedule as they could play here in ET. Is it enough to get them to Austin? I don't know but we've got as good a shot as anyone.

Good luck against SOC

The knock is always that WH can't beat the Dallas schools. It would be great if they could get to Austin. However, I do feel that a win against a team like SOC would go a long way. It would help to get the monkey off the back. It is going to take an amazing effort to get out of that region no matter who gets out. So to answer your question, I say yes. Will it be completeley gone if they don't go to Austin? I don't know. But I do think that if they lose the first game everyone will say I told you so. And don't be surprised if they beat SOC if people don't say it is because SOC is "down" this year. Good Luck I am rooting for Whitehouse.

Its going to be tough, it always is. I really hope this is the year. I hope it for the kids and I hope it for Coach Dawkins and last but not least I hope it for all of us that are from WH. Right now we are kinda like the Colts prior to them finally getting over the hump last year. We rip through the reg season we just need to carry it over to the playoffs. I know lots of folks will come on here and say Whitehouse hasn't won state since 78 blah blah blah....I GUARANTY you its hard to find another school and another coach that has been this consistently good. We don't have years where we win 28 games then the next year we win 5 then 15 then 8 and so on. Every year you can BANK on it that WH is going to put a very solid product on the floor, pretty much concrete that 20 + wins is going to happen. I will put their winning history up against anyones. Would I like to see WH win state, well of course I would, but if they don't the sun is still going to rise and we are still yr after yr going to be a good team. I'd much rather have that type of tradition than to have a decent team 2 or 3 times a decade.

I posted this back in January and I thought it fit this thread. There is NO monkey on anyones back....if there was was that went out with the area win. That is the game "everyone" said they had to win, now they won it and its well but they haven't been past the regional quarterfinals, they won that...now its well they haven't been past regional semifinals..it doesn't matter if they win it all this year people will still say well they have only won one or well they should have won it look at the height they had. As far as I'm concerned there is NO MONKEY on anyones back and I get sick of hearing that. Coach Dawkins nor Whitehouse basketball has ANYTHING to prove. Jgrammer this is not directed at you in any way (lol we know how you feel about WH basketball), you just happened to start the thread. All I say is before you question WH bball look at the overall body of work that has been done, 20 winning seasons in a row....that is hard to do folks. for those of you not from WH that like to come on here and take pot shots, where are you from and what has your team done over the past 20 yrs? I'd rather have 20+ wins every year than have one title 15 yrs ago and a bunch of 500 seasons mixed in before and after.

If they win Friday night it will be so cool, I really cant even put it into words, if they lose my god you are going up against the biggest of the big dogs, whether it be SOC, Highland Park, Lincoln or later on in the tournament to Yates, Ozen or Palo Duro. My point being there is nothing to hang your head about if you go down at this stage. I for one am very proud of what has been accomplished.

sorry I'm done venting

Is this a question about Whitehouse or a question about ET 4A and 5A basketball? Give me an ET 4A or 5A team that has made the STATE tournament since Longview with Bobby Taylor and David Wesley. I'd like a list of ET teams in the last 10+ yrs that have made the Regional tournament for that matter.

as i've stated in the past, i have nothing at all against whitehouse. i hope they do well, even win state. some of the posters on here are hard enough to listen to now, but i would rather a title be in east texas than somewhere else. most outsiders like myself, see a bunch of wins and not a great deal of quality wins. even pearce wasn't ranked. that being said, i do think that a win this round will do a great deal with dealing with the "monkey" for lack of a better name. a win next round will all but put the little fellow in primate heaven. good luck tomorrow.

Its not hard to have that many winning seasons in a row when you play every private school in tyler 2 or 3 times a year! I'm not saying that my schools b-ball program is better than yours cause its not, but personally when you've been there that long and have never made it past the 2nd or 3rd round i really don't call that a b-ball program. I honestly hope WH can make it to Austin this year. I just think every year people in WH get caught up in the teams record and thinks they have a legit shot at austin when in reality they got that record by playing teams that are poor.

Its not hard to have that many winning seasons in a row when you play every private school in tyler 2 or 3 times a year! I'm not saying that my schools b-ball program is better than yours cause its not, but personally when you've been there that long and have never made it past the 2nd or 3rd round i really don't call that a b-ball program. I honestly hope WH can make it to Austin this year. I just think every year people in WH get caught up in the teams record and thinks they have a legit shot at austin when in reality they got that record by playing teams that are poor.

I seriously hope you are kidding....

Brady has asked for a list, Id like another

List All of the *Private Schools* that Whitehouse loaded up on below

Guest imyahuckleberry

You shouldn't use the word "honestly" , after you've lied.

No im not kidding, and i'm not talking about this year with the private schools. Go back the last couple of years and look, i know you will find some. You go a better football program then you do b-ball, and he's only been there 4 years and only getting better.

LOL well u have 3 posts on the books, before you hit submit for number 4 try to insert some thought and facts into it.

oh wait you mean the privates schools that had Chris Low and Art Pierce a few years back...

Is this a question about Whitehouse or a question about ET 4A and 5A basketball? Give me an ET 4A or 5A team that has made the STATE tournament since Longview with Bobby Taylor and David Wesley. I'd like a list of ET teams in the last 10+ yrs that have made the Regional tournament for that matter.

Nac when we had Damion and Jinski. It was when I was a freshman. I believe 04-05.

The one and done monkey is gone. I heard Wally on the radio say that once that game was done, that its all gravy now and they are sopping up as much as they can. Personally, I think they needed to beat Pearce because of what happened last year, and so they did.

As I read somewhere, this is Whitehouse's first trip to the Regional Tournament while in AAAA, so there are never monkeys in the land of breaking new ground.

Which is not to say they are not going to make every attempt to win every game left before them, the way they have done to every Texas team they have faced this year. And ultimately their goal, while 1 game at a time, is to win state, as is everybody's goal to start the season.

But they have absolutely nothing to prove to anybody. For the ones that think otherwise, what have your programs done this year in basketball?

What would that list have to do with whether or not WH can make it out of the 1st round of playoffs?

...That's about as ridiculous of a statement that I have ever heard... I would imagine you are referring to the Whitehouse / Gorman games from years past? If memory serves me correct (and I am getting older...lol) The only other times Whitehouse has played "private schools" has been when they have matched up in the Wagstaff tournament, not by Wally's "scheduling" choices... Tell ya what " Dfieldtiger1884" , check and see how many high school coaches statewide have 20+ years in a row of winning seasons with as many District titles and Play-off appearances as Dawkins does. At that point maybe you will begin to understand a basketball " program" . I am not a huge Wally fan (take him or leave him), but to question the authenticity of his basketball program is just absolutely ridiculous. Think before you post next time please...

(Are there possibly sour grapes with you and Whouse due to McFarlin being here?)

What would that list have to do with whether or not WH can make it out of the 1st round of playoffs?

Well WH always gets past the 1st round it's the 2nd round that's been the problem... (true but i'm joking) The topic was if a "monkey" was on WH's back now. My point was, if there is such a "monkey", shouldn't that "monkey" be on everybody in ET's back, not just WH's? Is Whitehouse the only school in ET playing 4A or 5A basketball?

I remember Nac making the regional tournament when they had James and I remember Pine Tree making it in '99, John Tyler may have made it. Other than that I don't know of any. Were those schools still getting monkeys off their back when they made the regional tournament?

Point is... an ET 4A or 5A team making the regional tournament doesn't happen much. I don't understand what else they have to prove to this "monkey".

I agree with Brady. It has not been an easy task for the ET teams to make it to the 4-A regional tournament. The last I remember was Paris a few years back. They made it to the finals, I believe, after defeating Lincoln. I know I lost to Kimball (with Law), Seagoville (with LeMarcus), and to Lincoln (with Eaton). I wish Whitehouse the best and hope they do represent ET well and make it to Austin. If so, then they will be well tested and have a chance to win it.